EU's Juncker tells Britain: no-deal Brexit will hurt you the most

rooster59

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I freely admit, I only have a basic understanding of the Irish problem so can someone explain to me what the bigger issue is? As I see it the EU are making this into a bigger issue than it really is. Surely it's something that technology can regulate ?

The problem is that if  the UK leaves the single market while Ireland remains, you have to have a hard border. Otherwise all the nasties let in by BJ's trade agreement with Trump- chlorine chicken and the rest - could spread into all 27 EU countries, none of whom, quite rightly, want this junk. There is and never likely will be technology to solve the problem. Border checks require real people to rummage around vehicles looking for contraband, prohibited goods, trafficked people etc. And there are over 200 crossing points between N. Ireland and the Republic.

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

Don't take posts too literally especially when it opposes your views, but great to see the Eumainers up in arms when someone has the audacity to critize the great one.

The topic of discussion is not 'attacks on anyone' but I do note that Brexiteers are eager to go off topic in that direction. 

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The topic of discussion is not 'attacks on anyone' but I do note that Brexiteers are eager to go off topic in that direction. 

Why do remainers keep calling Boris a liar, it is an attack and nothing to do with this topic.

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

That is nothing to with ideology  -  it is to do with profit (and greed)........ Soros taught that lesson years ago.

Nothing at all to do with your off topic 'Soros' and everything to do with the chums of Alexander Boris de Pfeffl (man of the people) Johnson and  financial backers of Brexit making a fortune betting against the UK in Brexit. 

At least the rest of the nation has turnips. 

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Because Boris is a liar, it's not an attack, it's an observable fact and something to keep in mind every time he opens his mouth. 

Even the queen thinks Boris is incompetent and untrustworthy according to the Times 

EBqggzAXsAAO5uO?format=jpg&name=900x900

8 minutes ago, flossie35 said:

The problem is that if  the UK leaves the single market while Ireland remains, you have to have a hard border. Otherwise all the nasties let in by BJ's trade agreement with Trump- chlorine chicken and the rest - could spread into all 27 EU countries, none of whom, quite rightly, want this junk. There is and never likely will be technology to solve the problem. Border checks require real people to rummage around vehicles looking for contraband, prohibited goods, trafficked people etc. And there are over 200 crossing points between N. Ireland and the Republic.

But don't we have border checks for good entering into Ireland (North and South) by sea already ? That's what I don't understand. Also don't lorries get checked at Dover/Calais ?

Btw. Nothing wrong with chlorinated chicken per se. The reason why we don't allow it is that the abattoirs in the US don't typically have the same standards as those in the EU and it's the lazy option of chlorinating chicken. If we allowed it here then the thinking is that our standards would decrease also

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

in order to make a deal with the US, China or anybody else the UK has first to exit the EU and than it will take some time 9anybody's guess ??) to make trade deals, sometimes up to 10 years, what will the UK do in the mean time

Join the third world

15 minutes ago, flossie35 said:

So just because Eire and the UK are in the EU / SM / CU it's OK to allow contraband, prohibited goods and trafficked people?

4 hours ago, smedly said:

there are about 6 primary EU countries that account for 80% of UK imports from the EU, Germany is by far the biggest with about 40% of that 

Of all the many trade agreements the EU has around the world 8 countries account for 90% of the trade 

Yes, the Germans will loose if there are 20% customs on their cars. But do you really think that because these 20% nobody will buy a German car anymore? In Thailand the customs are much higher and I see many German cars on the streets. 

So, so many doomsayers on here.  Do you not know that USA has said it will offer trade at least twice as much as the EU, if not more, there are also a variety of other very large markets to be explored such as those European Countries not in the EU Pact, the African Continent (probably the future largest expanding market), China, Asia, Russia et al.  Already, many UK Ambassadors have been exploring these markets, from which under the EU Rules, we were excluded.  Yes, there will initially be a short term down turn, but UK will surface and be immensely resurgent out of the EU.  The EU are very afraid, not only because of the loss of the direct income from us, but the loss of trade to their Countries, which will be very unpalatable to those Countries and give them second thoughts about their membership. Junker and  co have badly mishandled the divorce by looking down on May, who was too nice for the Bully Boys, now will reap the rewards of a bad divorce, which will impact less on the UK than the EU, because it is worth more to them to have us in rather than out.  He doesn't care anyway.  By the way, why must there be a SECOND Government, telling our Government what to do and why does the EU Parlaiment have to move to another Country every month involving considerable expense.  Wake up people, the EU Trading Market was a good idea, but this taking over Countries by these Commissioners is so, so bad and one size certainly does not fit all!

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

in order to make a deal with the US, China or anybody else the UK has first to exit the EU and than it will take some time 9anybody's guess ??) to make trade deals, sometimes up to 10 years, what will the UK do in the mean time

I see you mentioned "up to 10 Years" - which is the time it took Canada and the EU to agree on a trade deal.

It won't take anywhere near this. Its much easier when you have one country negotiating with the UK than 28 countries negotiating with Canada.

5 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Yes, the Germans will loose if there are 20% customs on their cars. But do you really think that because these 20% nobody will buy a German car anymore? In Thailand the customs are much higher and I see many German cars on the streets. 

Absolutely. In Australia the luxury car duties are insane but there are more and more Mercs on the road. Unless you see some "patriotic" buying, the duties on the German cars won't have a significant impact. 

People think that FTAs are licences to print money. If you have a FTA, but have nothing useful to export to the other party, the FTA works against you.

7 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I see you mentioned "up to 10 Years" - which is the time it took Canada and the EU to agree on a trade deal.

It won't take anywhere near this. Its much easier when you have one country negotiating with the UK than 28 countries negotiating with Canada.

sure it will be "much" easier because it's the UK 555

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A no-deal Brexit would hurt Britain more than the rest of Europe

A person that has to go out with a comment like that in the press, is also a very insecure person that need to have something to see and read at a later stage to convince himself that is the truth.

54 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Because Boris is a liar, it's not an attack, it's an observable fact and something to keep in mind every time he opens his mouth. 

53 minutes ago, vogie said:

No more questions M'Lud, I rest my case.

You see, once again, it's proved that leavers don't like facts....

????

48 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

But don't we have border checks for good entering into Ireland (North and South) by sea already ? That's what I don't understand. Also don't lorries get checked at Dover/Calais ?

No and no.  This is the wonder of the single market(+CU) the most advanced FTA in the world.

...and why some of us think it is madness to leave it . 

Archived