How much alcohol do you drink in a month?

I enjoy, on average, a good glass of red wine once every other weekend. 

In younger years, it was fashionable to drink excessively either socially or for business functions. 

Now in older age, I prefer my health over excess drink even though I often dream of drowning my Thai frustrations in alcohol. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Naam said:

the Mrs. asked me to write an addendum:

after we moved to thailand 14 years ago our son (only child) died because of pancreas cancer. for several months the vodka bottle was never out of my reach.

I'm sorry to hear about your son, Naam. I had a similar loss 5 years ago and can understand your actions. 

I only drink good beer but I love port. Where do you buy a good port in Thailand these days? 

I drink beer only these days and stick to the imported stuff, apart from once a week when I'll share a couple of bottles of Leo with the locals. 

I keep a record of my weekly intake and am averaging 10.29 units this year, more than acceptable.

A spreadsheet helps me keep within my limits.  I rarely over-indulge: only on Songkran and my birthday this year. ????

I love trying out craft beers but it's not always easy, socializing mainly with the Chang/Leo crowd. Occasional expensive imported beers are a good way to keep the units down.

Cature.JPG

3 hours ago, Naam said:

after we moved to thailand 14 years ago our son (only child) died because of pancreas cancer. for several months the vodka bottle was never out of my reach.

1 hour ago, Baht Simpson said:

I'm sorry to hear about your son, Naam. I had a similar loss 5 years ago and can understand your actions. 

Condolences for your loss

2 large beers a day with dinner

1 hour ago, Baht Simpson said:

I only drink good beer but I love port. Where do you buy a good port in Thailand these days? 

Friendship has a good selection but most of my demand is met by friends who are visiting buying fine Ports for me in Dubai or Doha duty free at fair prices. i like change, their random selections and was never disappointed.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:54 AM, wgdanson said:

I just went on the waggon for two week and love taking the dog for its walk in the morning without a fuzzy head now.However, I HAD to have a couple of beers last night as I have subscribed to True ID sport channel, and you cannot NOT have a beer or two when Man City are playing. Maybe a couple more tonight for Chelsea!

I hope you didn't support Chelsea, or your "couple" probably ended more like 20! :cheesy:

I don't set a ration, but only drink 6 to 12 large Leos each day. I enjoy drinking beer, and space them out during the day, with the last 4 to 6 in the evening. Put the car in to get cleaned, and drink 2 or 3 with a light meal while waiting. This type of thing.

I still work 3 months each year, so not having to skimp on recreation. 

If I die early, I will have loved every minute. Bottoms up. 58yo now.

On 8/11/2019 at 9:25 AM, CharlieH said:

Absolutely none!

Never found a drink I actually enjoyed and hated the aftermath, always gave me a splitting headache and I was no use to man nor beast, hated the way it made me feel.

Total waste of time and money, so left I  it alone from around age 25.

Same here,didn't drink much but hate also the aftermath..So when i turned 30 i put a Black Label in a bar my friend owned at the time in Lamai..never tuched spirits after that.I do enyoy a Small bottle of Lao Dark now and then,that's it.

My boredom..well exercise on my bicycle..while listen to some good Bluse music..that's it.

My friend who has been drinking like you,has now been diagnosed whith liver cirrhosis,lost 18 kilos in a month and his future is not looking to bright..Take care of yourself while you can.

3 minutes ago, hobobo said:

I hope you didn't support Chelsea, or your "couple" probably ended more like 20! :cheesy:

No I am a City fan and don't like The Reds !  But hey, I would rather have the two Manchester teams at 1 & 2 than the Scousers.   LOL

3 minutes ago, Goanna said:

I don't set a ration, but only drink 6 to 12 large Leos each day. I enjoy drinking beer, and space them out during the day, with the last 4 to 6 in the evening. Put the car in to get cleaned, and drink 2 or 3 with a light meal while waiting. This type of thing.

I still work 3 months each year, so not having to skimp on recreation. 

If I die early, I will have loved every minute. Bottoms up. 58yo now.

I hope for your sake that you're joking.  

Well being, as I dont drink that Chaang and Leo...Ill go out for good ales and Belgium beers a couple times a month! Those beers dont leave me with a ripping headache as the Thai beers tend to do to me!

BTW I'm not into Lao Kao wow that rice wine is some strong stuff not to mention...not very clean IMO.

Sorry if the meme is too big..

Beer joke only 1.jpg

19 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

11-13 Small Singha a day, 9 months a year. Do the math yourself.

Every day? And which 9 months as they have different numbers of days, and can I average it out to 12 a day to do the MATHS!  LOL

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

No I am a City fan and don't like The Reds !  But hey, I would rather have the two Manchester teams at 1 & 2 than the Scousers.   LOL

watching football is enough to drive anyone to drink.  It is by far and away, the most boring 'sport' imaginable.  Even playing it is boring. I guess that I will get lots of abuse from fans of, what do you call it now, with irony I hope;  'the beautiful game'.  

I can relate to this. But now I try to not drink any beer during the week. A few bers with meals over the weekend.

Don't want to completely stop but it also feels good not to drink during the week - and sleep quality also benefits!

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

watching football is enough to drive anyone to drink.  It is by far and away, the most boring 'sport' imaginable.  Even playing it is boring. I guess that I will get lots of abuse from fans of, what do you call it now, with irony I hope;  'the beautiful game'.  

More boring than Test Cricket (4 or 5 days with play interrupted by lunch & tea), American 'Football', 1 hour of play and three hours talking about what they are going to do, Baseball....schoolgirls in UK call it Rounders, Marathon running, cycle racing, even F1 Grand Prix all more 'boring' than 90 minutes almost non-stop play.

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

More boring than Test Cricket (4 or 5 days with play interrupted by lunch & tea), American 'Football', 1 hour of play and three hours talking about what they are going to do, Baseball....schoolgirls in UK call it Rounders, Marathon running, cycle racing, even F1 Grand Prix all more 'boring' than 90 minutes almost non-stop play.

Test cricket, 5 days of tension and supreme tactics. The fact that women and Americans don't understand it is a bonus.  American Football, the sport of real men and a chess match on turf.  F1, a good way to get to sleep during the day.  The rest I agree, boring in the extreme. Now MOTO GP, there is a sport for Kings.

13 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Test cricket, 5 days of tension and supreme tactics. The fact that women and Americans don't understand it is a bonus.  American Football, the sport of real men and a chess match on turf.  F1, a good way to get to sleep during the day.  The rest I agree, boring in the extreme. Now MOTO GP, there is a sport for Kings.

OK next, golf and darts. Are they competitive sports? If I played golf against Seve Ballasteros......? No contest.

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

OK next, golf and darts. Are they competitive sports? If I played golf against Seve Ballasteros......? No contest.

my goodness, bottom of the barrel for boringness.  Add snooker and lawn bowls and you have the lot. No wonder people turn to drink. 

5 minutes ago, Rotweiler said:

Alcohol?  Never!  Never touch the stuff!  Hate the way it reacts in my mouth and throat.

Now, a beer before dinner and a glass of wine with?  You bet!

Are beer & wine not alcohol?

Archived