How safe from burglary are you in isaan?

georgegeorgia

I remember reading probably a few years ago now a farang who was disabled posting that he had some burglar turn up at night walking around and being disabled and by hmself he was vulnerable 

If you live in a rural area or semi rural area do you have a fence around your garden or have you had any problems with tresspassers or people entering your property?

I notice a lot of farangs in here ask the cost of a brick fence,is it essential where you live?

Ever since i read that eerie encounter it makes me a bit nervous living in remote areas of Thailand knowing the police would probably take all night to arrive.

maybe dogs and/ or CCTV ?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every house in my village has walls around property and lockable gates to enter...

Most houses have a dog or dogs which alert all the houses around that something is amiss...

There is no through traffic...one way in and out...

Never heard of a theft here...

Think being aware of opportunists is paramount in LOS. I have some high walls and low ones with railings and locked gates, plus a tough dog that barks if anyone comes near the gate. Also have fancy grills on windows and doors. May sound overkill but the opportunist will probably not bother with my place.

Though as of now I have never heard of any farang in my area getting turned over..Back home in London was waaaaay more likely to get hassle.

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

I remember reading probably a few years ago now a farang who was disabled posting that he had some burglar turn up at night walking around and being disabled and by hmself he was vulnerable 

i know that guy, he is a pussy. :cheesy:

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Think being aware of opportunists is paramount in LOS. I have some high walls and low ones with railings and locked gates, plus a tough dog that barks if anyone comes near the gate. Also have fancy grills on windows and doors. May sound overkill but the opportunist will probably not bother with my place.

Though as of now I have never heard of any farang in my area getting turned over..Back home in London was waaaaay more likely to get hassle.

We live in an area where wealthier people live, but I've only heard of theft on the other side of the village. ( so called village in the city but without security guards) 

On the right hand side is a higher cop, on the left hand side a lawyer, plus we've got two dogs who start barking when new people come close to our gate that's always closed.

There's a little non- visible door in the gate where we go in and out.

And our neighborhood is great. Would anybody try to get into others' property, we look after each other.

I have dogs ( x 5 ) and weapons ( undisclosed ).

I live very remote, no neighbours as such.

I've often thought if someone tried to break in i'd detain and torture them for a few days for some amusement, TV can get boring.

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

If you live in a rural area or semi rural area do you have a fence around your garden or have you had any problems with tresspassers or people entering your property?

the house i am renting in Hua Hin is covered in bars. There are bars on the INSIDE ceilings anywhere that is not concrete. And over the entrance to the attic crawl way in the bathroom. 

all three bedroom doors have heavy duty sliding latches top and bottom. I am thinking the Thais who own this house must have had a very bad experience here as Thais never do anything proactively. I have sliding metal doors that cover the front door.

My neighbors across the street have very large shards of broken glass bottles cemented on the the top of their walls around their yard.

The rear area of my house is enclosed in chain link fence. 

We built a home in a small village, but roughly 300m from the road and 200m from the nearest neighbor.  The road to our house, unpaved, ends at our house.   There's no through traffic.  We have no fence around our property, although a Swiss neighbor who recently bought an adjoining piece of property quickly fenced in the yard and installed CCTV.  We have no CCTV and, although we have a dog, it's a house dog and only goes outside to do its business.  Our windows have window guards but our two sliding patio doors don't (I've considered removing the window guards).

We've lived in this house for 22 years, been back to the US a dozen times, mostly for 6 weeks, but once for 6 months.  No incidents during that time.

If we lived in town in a subdivision, there's no doubt we'd have a wall around the yard.

We have no curtains in the house, either!

5 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Put a cattle electric fence around your house, about testicle height. Dogs are not a deterrent to criminals. They'll poison the dogs first for sure. 

Dogs are easily trained only to accept food from their owner(s).

None of my dogs will accept food from anyone except myself / my wife / my maid, they will not eat scrap they find on the road.

The thought of being burgaled has never concerned me.

Archived