How safe from burglary are you in isaan?

georgegeorgia

22 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Ever since i read that eerie encounter it makes me a bit nervous living in remote areas of Thailand knowing the police would probably take all night to arrive

Would you then not move to a non-remote area?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a house in the middle of a small, poor Isaan village. 200 odd people of whom 90% are relations. have an Isaan looking house with farang features on the inside, that I designed and built. don't really have much worth nicking, never locked, dogs and relatives all around, safe as houses....

5 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

Have a house in the middle of a small, poor Isaan village. 200 odd people of whom 90% are relations. have an Isaan looking house with farang features on the inside, that I designed and built. don't really have much worth nicking, never locked, dogs and relatives all around, safe as houses....

I live in a similar village to you...... Relatives all around and things are safe?

OPPOSITE HERE relatives are the worst for stealing.

17 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

Sounds similar to the village we live in, except, two nights ago two people had their motorbikes stolen. The Mrs locks everything, bedrooms and front and back doors if we go anywhere.

On 8/11/2019 at 4:08 PM, NCC1701A said:

the house i am renting in Hua Hin is covered in bars. There are bars on the INSIDE ceilings anywhere that is not concrete. And over the entrance to the attic crawl way in the bathroom. 

all three bedroom doors have heavy duty sliding latches top and bottom. I am thinking the Thais who own this house must have had a very bad experience here as Thais never do anything proactively. I have sliding metal doors that cover the front door.

My neighbors across the street have very large shards of broken glass bottles cemented on the the top of their walls around their yard.

The rear area of my house is enclosed in chain link fence. 

Are you telling us you are in prison?

When we built 12 years ago, I specified that I did not wish to live in a prison or fortress, so no perimeter walls and no bars on the windows.  We are surrounded by rice fields and there is only one way in or out, down a hundred meter drive.  We do have dogs but our main line of defense is always having someone home and being on good terms with our neighbors.  I don't live in fear and everyone respects our privacy.

Granted we don't live in Isaan, rather we are located in a rural area 50+ km from Chiang Rai.  Walls and bars would spoil my view.????

630035076_Favorites126.thumb.jpg.9d75f58344e8fb7a65ffdb3a06c88991.jpg

On August 11, 2019 at 5:08 AM, NCC1701A said:

the house i am renting in Hua Hin is covered in bars. There are bars on the INSIDE ceilings anywhere that is not concrete. And over the entrance to the attic crawl way in the bathroom. 

all three bedroom doors have heavy duty sliding latches top and bottom. I am thinking the Thais who own this house must have had a very bad experience here as Thais never do anything proactively. I have sliding metal doors that cover the front door.

My neighbors across the street have very large shards of broken glass bottles cemented on the the top of their walls around their yard.

Is it covered by a moat also? Glad I don't have to live this way!

1 hour ago, zyphodb said:

Same here and yet EVERYTHING gets stollen, and not because you are farang, Thais are victims as well. 

Farmers who own cattle or pigs need to sleep in their farm, outside the village where they have their house. 

Even the copper from the electricity or telephone wires is stollen for resale! 

The reason for such high petty criminality: yabba! 

37 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Is it covered by a moat also? Glad I don't have to live this way!

We actually do have a moat as those who know where we live will attest. Even when the river is low there are literal feet of clinging mud then a 2m wall to climb before any potential burglar meets our two rottweilers chihuahuas and geese.

These just serve to wake Wifey who has a Malaysian parang https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/1292-MY-Parang-Duku-Chandong-10-Inch/ and zero spacial awareness of where the blade actually is (you are not safe even behind her).

MYParang-Duku-Chandong10-G.jpg

Don't worry about burglaries in Isan. It can happen, but much less likely than in most western countries.

Your main worry is occasional petty 'thieving/borrowing/damaging/eating/drinking etc' from family, relatives and friends. All the walls, bars, locks and dogs will not stop it.

We live on a gated village with security. There are some Thais that keep dogs presumably as a security measure, and those residents that have CCTV installed. The aforementioned dogs bark at anything which makes most people ignore them anyway and as for CCTV systems, I don’t think they are going to stop the perpetrators but might, I say might lead to their apprehension.

whilst we do have security bars on the doors/ windows, my view is that anything valuable is insured anyway. ie if they want the 52” Smart TV, let them have it. Just my opinion !!

On 8/11/2019 at 4:08 PM, NCC1701A said:

And any chance of parole or am I just confused by the description of your dwelling?

My dog sleeps in the house because she considers the dirt road outside also belongs to her and she doesn't like anyone using it so she does bark if left outside. Anyone entering the house would not only get bitten but we would all be woken up from her indignant barking.

There is a thief in the village, he is back inside again after robbing our neighbour, but he is the only one who would steal. Strangely enough he has a great respect for me, I am not big by any means 1,89 meters and 70 kilos, but I know he would never dare enter my house even though at the moment I am the only falang in the village and he could suspect that there is something worth stealing in my house (there isn't). Whenever he sees me he offers me a high wai and bows his head which I ignore. Dogs have a natural intelligence about who is bad. When my Great Dane was alive, a dog who greeted everyone in a friendly manner except for this man, he would give him a low growl and just stare at him, quite a frightening experience I can imagine from such a large dog.

We don't even lock our door when we go out, there is always a neighbour around or the mother in law and sometimes when we get back one of my stepdaughters has come around for a visit and is sitting in the living room so we feel quite safe.

7 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

My dog sleeps in the house because she considers the dirt road outside also belongs to her and she doesn't like anyone using it so she does bark if left outside. Anyone entering the house would not only get bitten but we would all be woken up from her indignant barking.

There is a thief in the village, he is back inside again after robbing our neighbour, but he is the only one who would steal. Strangely enough he has a great respect for me, I am not big by any means 1,89 meters and 70 kilos, but I know he would never dare enter my house even though at the moment I am the only falang in the village and he could suspect that there is something worth stealing in my house (there isn't). Whenever he sees me he offers me a high wai and bows his head which I ignore. Dogs have a natural intelligence about who is bad. When my Great Dane was alive, a dog who greeted everyone in a friendly manner except for this man, he would give him a low growl and just stare at him, quite a frightening experience I can imagine from such a large dog.

We don't even lock our door when we go out, there is always a neighbour around or the mother in law and sometimes when we get back one of my stepdaughters has come around for a visit and is sitting in the living room so we feel quite safe.

Had a dog like that ... but when someone actually broke in he went and hid... ????

I live in a small remote village in Isaan and the only problem I have had in 6 years is someone tried to break into my workshop which is distant from the house.  They made so much noise trying to jemmy the window they frightened themselves off before I got to them (luckily...for me lol).  I put heavy wire mesh over inside of windows and never had more problems.

We have high walls and a dog which barks at everything.  Most theft up here always seems to happen when its made easy or little risk for thieves.  Every house thats been burgled in my village, that I know of, had windows left open or doors unlocked while occupants were out.  Valuables like gold or money had been left out in the open and very often everything has pointed to family members or school kids being responsible. 

The other kind of theft that happens here is fish being stolen from farm dams or rubber from plantations where nobody lives.

I come from the industrial security industry in America.  Here in our Isaan home, we have perimeter security (combination of stainless steel and smart wood fencing), a big dog with a menacing bark, 8 CCTV cameras, 2 IP cameras, exterior sensor lighting, interior timers, and  I keep some heat around.  We’ve had one intruder in 5 years (a relative).  He’s doing time on an unrelated charge now.  I may be overly cautious, since we have family all around us.  But we do travel, and make sure a relative stays here when we’re gone.  We try not to keep any valuables in the house.

10 hours ago, zyphodb said:

I think the key is, Colin, nothing worth nicking, a couple of TV's, PC's and not a lot else apart from clothes & household appliances, and all the outlaws know this....

About 3 weeks ago a Thai (rural Roi-Et) acquaintance of mine had their house broken into while they were at the farm.

Back door bust and ruined.

"Nothing worth nicking"........but they took one of those dirt cheap, one off payment sat. receivers, an electric fan and a childs bicycle.

House not walled or fenced.

One of the first things the person ever told me was that they wanted a wall.

I'm always being told to be careful about locking the back gate in my current residence because "somebody say mafia come somebody house yesterday/today".

Thieves will take anything if it's easy to get at.

The worst is that they always take the peace of mind of their victims.

That's why Thais build walls if they have the money to do so.

20 hours ago, villagefarang said:

When we built 12 years ago, I specified that I did not wish to live in a prison or fortress, so no perimeter walls and no bars on the windows.  We are surrounded by rice fields and there is only one way in or out, down a hundred meter drive.  We do have dogs but our main line of defense is always having someone home and being on good terms with our neighbors.  I don't live in fear and everyone respects our privacy.

Granted we don't live in Isaan, rather we are located in a rural area 50+ km from Chiang Rai.  Walls and bars would spoil my view.????

630035076_Favorites126.thumb.jpg.9d75f58344e8fb7a65ffdb3a06c88991.jpg

really beautiful. what country is that?

Archived