How safe from burglary are you in isaan?

georgegeorgia

On 8/11/2019 at 11:30 AM, NCC1701A said:

i planted bougainvillea which grew very fast into very thick stocks with a lot of thorns. Just about impossible to get through.

Where did you by these? I need a fence of about 100 mtr. Is there a special breed for a fence?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I am building a house in Isaan and Security was a design criteria. I think it is far easier to design security in, rather than retrofit it.

So I don’t have sliding glass door. Doors are made of stainless steel with “zombie bars” 

https://ecohousethailand.wordpress.com/

20190627_100115541_ios.jpg?w=1180

I've just had a look at your blog, very detailed.

I must ask the question though, why have you built a fortress, it looks like a giant prison cell, what are you so paranoid about.

If i was that concerned about safety on that scale i would not move to the place.

Where does the natural light come from?

Hi JaiLai I have lived in many houses in Thailand over the years, they all have big picture windows and Glass doors. Too much light and too much heat and no privacy. I tended to keep the curtains closed. I now have small high up windows and no curtains, in fact more light and no heat. My third floor has a 360 degree view of the surrounding countryside, I love to have my coffee up there in the morning or watch a thunderstorm in the evening. 

WWw8UjP_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I don’t understand why houses are build with large glass windows and glass doors that offer no security. I am not paranoid, I just want security when most people are clearly happy with none.

I'd say you have to be more specific than Isaan. If you're talking about a big house next to a main road, then maybe... I don't know.

When I lived around Bangkapi area, someone warned me there were many thefts of bikes from under my friend's condo... but otherwise I have no direct knowledge of theft or burglary (since 2001) except once an old (3 year old 500 baht scratched up as heck) helmet was taken from my bike - I assume someone really needed it.

So when I bought a house, I chose to go a few soi's past the entrance but not at the edge... so I'm pretty confident no burglar is likely to go past a few hundred other houses (many of which are richer than mine) to choose mine if the ever do come here.

If I'm out for less than an hour I often don't even bother locking the door - and I leave the gate open when I'm at home as well as when I go out, so nobody knows if anyone's home.

Hi JaiLai I have lived in many houses in Thailand over the years, they all have big picture windows and Glass doors. Too much light and too much heat and no privacy. I tended to keep the curtains closed. I now have small high up windows and no curtains, in fact more light and no heat. My third floor has a 360 degree view of the surrounding countryside, I love to have my coffee up there in the morning or watch a thunderstorm in the evening. 

WWw8UjP_d.jpg?maxwidth=640%26shape=thumb%26fidelity=medium&key=a718282ecc66ef5dd0b6ed45f78f87608e6db7129b6c9305225a405d7797c8f5

I don’t understand why houses are build with large glass windows and glass doors that offer no security. I am not paranoid, I just want security when most people are clearly happy with none.

I have quite a lot of glass throughout my house, I like to be able to see my garden / fish pond.

If it’s hot I close the doors and turn on A/C, I’m very remote, privacy not an problem.

I don’t even have keys for my doors, they certainly are not zombie proof.

To each their own, it was interesting looking at your blog - thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 8/11/2019 at 3:18 PM, Puchaiyank said:

Every house in my village has walls around property and lockable gates to enter...

Most houses have a dog or dogs which alert all the houses around that something is amiss...

There is no through traffic...one way in and out...

Never heard of a theft here...

Very few of the houses in my village have fences. I do, but the main gate is open 24/7. There are plenty of dogs around. We never lock our front door.

On 8/15/2019 at 4:08 PM, Bandersnatch said:

I have lived in many houses in Thailand over the years, they all have big picture windows and Glass doors. Too much light and too much heat and no privacy.

Having looked at your blog impressed with your build, great to see someone with the courage and conviction to build what they want, not what is acceptable to others. You have pushed the boundaries with the "eco" features, sure that wasn't easily accomplished, though a help that you knew what you wanted and how to accomplish that.

I agree that most houses her have too much light, too many windows and doors, good design in a cooler region with less sunlight, but here need to get as much natural shade as possible if you want to live comfortably, too many folks are under the impression that a hot sunny day is like a summers day in Europe and they need to let the sun in, when the opposite is the case the majority of the time unless you want to live in a hot and humid house along with the mould and mildew it creates throughout the house.

The three most important factors governing privacy and security are summed up well by the good old "adage" Location, location, location, you have to do what is needed! I actually went overboard where I am living, but the security systems remain as a deterrent for anyone that sees the house as a potential?

Archived