PSI satellite Tv

colinchaffers

I'm moving away from TrueVison (I don't watch it) and wanted to instal a satellite system (for my family) I see that PSI are popular and can get a system installed locally, but there are two systems C/K and a choice of dishes (I guess the bigger the better signal), and choice of boxes, does anyone have any experience? I cant find any useful information on the web. By the way are any subscription services available? I'm based in Prachinburi

Thanks 

To be honest I had no idea that there are two systems. We have three dishes all told , possibly a meter or so diameter with a box hdmi to tv hdmi.   Great for the family, I seldom watch it but excellent signal for around 2400 baht altogether and installed I think I last paid.

36 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

To be honest I had no idea that there are two systems. We have three dishes all told , possibly a meter or so diameter with a box hdmi to tv hdmi.   Great for the family, I seldom watch it but excellent signal for around 2400 baht altogether and installed I think I last paid.

I suspect the two systems are for the size of the dish, with the large dish being for areas on where the signal strength is a little lower. 

44 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Only Thai programs though. No Falang at all.

45 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

We've got one dish and two boxes in different rooms. Cost Bht 2000 4 years ago. Good enough picture for watching kids beat the shit out of each other every evening and the boing boing soaps !

C = c band (big dish usually 1.80 m diam) currently less channels available

K = k band (small dish 60-70 cm diam)  more satelites using that system and more channels also better picture

The dish / PSI only have free Thai channels, you may have to consider a package if you want anything else, sometimes IPTV has packages with some foreign channels, better visit a local shop or Lotus or Home Pro, they sell boxes and packages or your local installer may have some but all depends where you are located, good luck

You should look at IPM, it’s free and you get around a dozen English channels plus all the Thai channels that PSI has. You need the IPM HD Pro box to receive the full range of channels. Uses Thaicom 8 satellite facing 78.5 degrees East which is the same direction and satellite that True Vision and PSI uses.

https://www.ipmss.com

There is also a package from Freeview TV that has all English channels. This uses the Horizons 2 satellite at 85 degrees East.

http://tv.co.th/en/

Both packages work in the KU band using the smaller type satellite dish.

If you don’t want satellite get a terrestrial aerial Installed. You will get around 22 Thai channels however there are English movies and series on some channels each night. You also get lots of English documentaries which have both English and Thai sound track.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, ThailandTom1 said:

You should look at IPM, it’s free and you get around a dozen English channels plus all the Thai channels that PSI has. You need the IPM HD Pro box to receive the full range of channels. Uses Thaicom 8 satellite facing 78.5 degrees East which is the same direction and satellite that True Vision and PSI uses.

https://www.ipmss.com

There is also a package from Freeview TV that has all English channels. This uses the Horizons 2 satellite at 85 degrees East.

http://tv.co.th/en/

Both packages work in the KU band using the smaller type satellite dish.

If you don’t want satellite get a terrestrial aerial Installed. You will get around 22 Thai channels however there are English movies and series on some channels each night. You also get lots of English documentaries which have both English and Thai sound track.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Many thanks for that, I think i can pay to keep the old TrueVision dish and cables when I disconnect (to be verified) if this is the case from what you say can could I instal a mixture of PSI and IPM boxes as a system?

Could you point in the direction of any terrestrial boxes and or service providers?

With Kind Regards

Colin  

C band is the larger antenna (mesh) and provides a much better signal (no loss from rain), and more channels.

https://psisat.com/c-band/

Ku is the smaller antenna like True (but may not use same LNA) and is subject to rain outage.

https://psisat.com/ku-band/

PSI works very well - have had for 6 TV outlets for a number of years now.  Have had a box fail but they are cheap enough to replace.  

We use the HD box.

image.jpeg.d92c8c71c4dfda5af0f5243ca441f04f.jpeg

On 8/11/2019 at 4:49 PM, Mavideol said:

C = c band (big dish usually 1.80 m diam) currently less channels available

K = k band (small dish 60-70 cm diam)  more satelites using that system and more channels also better picture

The dish / PSI only have free Thai channels, you may have to consider a package if you want anything else, sometimes IPTV has packages with some foreign channels, better visit a local shop or Lotus or Home Pro, they sell boxes and packages or your local installer may have some but all depends where you are located, good luck

The digital results are the same.

C band signals suffer less rain attenuation than those on KU band. This is why C -band is popular in rainy tropical climates.

The major problem with C band is it shares frequency with terrestrial microwave communications.

Many thanks for that, I think i can pay to keep the old TrueVision dish and cables when I disconnect (to be verified) if this is the case from what you say can could I instal a mixture of PSI and IPM boxes as a system?

Could you point in the direction of any terrestrial boxes and or service providers?

With Kind Regards

Colin  

Yes you can feed any number of satellite boxes from your satellite including different systems e.g True, IPM via a multi switch. I personally have True, IPM, PSI and Terrestrial all feeding into a 9 input by 12 output multi switch that’s feeds sat/tv outlets in each room. I can plug in any satellite receiver I want at each TV. The main lounge has 4 sat cable sockets so can plug 4 different sat receivers on the one Television.

If you have a modern tv last 5 years then it should have already an in built terrestrial receiver so no need to buy a separate box.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes you can feed any number of satellite boxes from your satellite including different systems e.g True, IPM via a multi switch. I personally have True, IPM, PSI and Terrestrial all feeding into a 9 input by 12 output multi switch that’s feeds sat/tv outlets in each room. I can plug in any satellite receiver I want at each TV. The main lounge has 4 sat cable sockets so can plug 4 different sat receivers on the one Television.

If you have a modern tv last 5 years then it should have already an in built terrestrial receiver so no need to buy a separate box.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks for that, I wasn't thinking that complex, the dish has 3 feeds into 3 rooms so I was going to just replace the box in the room, would that work? (without switch)

• 2 weeks later...

I watch Thai terrestrial TV with the AJ model DVB-90 tuner box. They're around 500 baht on Lazada. I got an antenna (aerial) with a long cable at a local shop for around 200 baht.

Here in an urban area of Eastern Issan, I get about 30 channels, most of the big ones like 3, 7, 8, Thai Rath, Thai PBS, Mono 29. The quality is great, full HD, very sharp. Me and the wife had fun tweaking the antenna just right to get the most channels reliability, mounted up on a 3 meter piece of PVC, zip-tied to a fence.

As has been mentioned, if Thai TV isn't your thing, Mono 29 shows a lot of foreign, mostly American, TV shows and movies, and you can easily switch to the English soundtrack. One of the smaller channels, I believe Nation TV, also plays documentaries with an available English soundtrack.

Funny thing is, this AJ TV box is nearly identical to a digital TV tuner box I bought back home in the US about 10 years ago. Even all the fonts and menus look the same. It only took Thailand 10 years to catch on, but better late than never.

Archived