Sarasas Secondary school info

blowin

Hi all. My wife and I (Irish/Thai ) and 12 year old are moving to Thailand hopefully 2021. We are planing to live down south where my wife is from but are trying to find a secondary school for our son.

He is reasonably proficient in conversational Thai and is presently learning how to write and read. I came across a tread here on TV about Sarasas schools  .

There is one in Surat Thani which we would consider moving to if I thought my son could survive there in that school. Can any one give me advice regarding these schools I would extremely grateful as we need to tick the box regarding education and only than we can start planing the rest of our future.

Several years ago, when the Sarasas Surat Thani first opened I was there and new some of the staff and students, but not well.   At that time, like most new schools, it had some bumps and hiccups, but overall the school was OK.  

I would assume that since it's been operating for a number of years, the staffing situation should be stable.  

My experience with a number of the bilingual schools is fairly positive.   At 12 he might have some real learning problems in a Thai school, so a bilingual school is probably a good choice.  

When you get there, ask around about schools, make a visit and if possible, talk to some parents about the school.  

On 8/11/2019 at 11:27 PM, Scott said:

Several years ago, when the Sarasas Surat Thani first opened I was there and new some of the staff and students, but not well.   At that time, like most new schools, it had some bumps and hiccups, but overall the school was OK.  

I would assume that since it's been operating for a number of years, the staffing situation should be stable.  

My experience with a number of the bilingual schools is fairly positive.   At 12 he might have some real learning problems in a Thai school, so a bilingual school is probably a good choice.  

When you get there, ask around about schools, make a visit and if possible, talk to some parents about the school.  

Thanks Scott I was hoping you would read this and reply. My wife just rang the school who stated that everything was in Thai and that he would have to do an entrance exam to get in she said to my wife send him to an international school. We dont really want to go down that route if at all possible . Thanks Scott for taking time to answer .

Oh, I am rather surprised.   I haven't been in contact with anyone from the school, but (at least for my own knowledge), I will try to contact someone and find out if it has changed from a bilingual program.

The entrance exam is standard and in the past part of it was given in English.   It was very basic.   

I suspect his age may be a factor.   Many of the students I know and this and other bilingual schools, who spoke English as a first language, were primarily younger learners.   They had fewer problems in learning in Thai.

Thanks Scott for taking time in replying. We are now think of going down a different route maybe. 

We might keep him out of school for the first 10 months as the school term here ends in July and the Thai starts in May I think. So we will send him to a Thai girl we know who is a teacher who also has a private English language school attached to her home. She said she can teach him the basics during that 10 months also she said he will be fluent in Thai because all his friends will be speaking Thai to him daily.  

If he is going to live and eventually work in Thailand a Thai school is a must for him as English is already his first language its Thai he needs to become proficient in.  

That sounds like a good plan.   As long as he has basic conversation skills, he is well on his way.   If he were starting from scratch with the Thai language, it would be a major challenge.  

Best of luck and keep us posted as to how it goes.   Updates are always appreciated. 

On 8/14/2019 at 7:50 PM, Scott said:

That sounds like a good plan.   As long as he has basic conversation skills, he is well on his way.   If he were starting from scratch with the Thai language, it would be a major challenge.  

Best of luck and keep us posted as to how it goes.   Updates are always appreciated. 

Thanks Scott for your help and advice . This site is invaluable for this sort of info and help.

I just wish I could morph into my young lad with this adventure ahead of him with all the advantages of dual citizenship and life in the land of smiles . I think the world will be his oyster and its up to him to use it to his full advantage .

4 hours ago, blowin said:

Thanks Scott for your help and advice . This site is invaluable for this sort of info and help.

I just wish I could morph into my young lad with this adventure ahead of him with all the advantages of dual citizenship and life in the land of smiles . I think the world will be his oyster and its up to him to use it to his full advantage .

I am glad you have such a positive attitude and I hope it rubs off on your son. 

Archived