BANGKOK
tri

What are the best places for learning Thai language?

Hi guys!
It's time for me to focus on learning Thai language (speaking, reading, writing).

What are the best options (places and rates) currently available in CM? Any personal experience feedback or friend's recommendations?
Cheers!

• Like 1

Following this with interest. I'm in Jomtien but will retire to Bueng Kan in a couple of years. Obviously there are plenty of places advertising Thai language teaching but just wondering if there's a tried and tested method which has worked for others

AUA ... serious teaching, lots of homework. ... not a visa service.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

This has been discussed many times in the past. Just to review.

The traditional places are:

1. CMU - Chiang Mai university

2. AUA - American Alumni

3. Payap university 

4. YMCA

5. TSL (newbie on the block)

1. Chiang Mai university Thai courses are quite relaxed and one year long. Good for beginners but not good for those who want to go to lower to higher intermediate.

3. Payap university

I heard this is a very intensive course, not for the faint hearted. They treat you like Thai is your first language.

4. YMCA teaches only the bottom 4 levels (beginner to elementary) most of the time, you don't need to learn read and write here which is a plus for most people as the writing can be tough. You can stop anytime, each course is around 1 month.

5. TSL - the one month courses are intenstive and have the same syllabus as YMCA except it goes up to a much higher level i.e. 12 levels.

Edited by EricTh

3. Payap university
I heard this is a very intensive course, not for the faint hearted. They treat you like Thai is your first language.

Payap are a lot smarter than that.

Your statement would be offensive if one thought it was about Payap.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I studied this year at We Learn Thai, at Pantip Plaza. If I remember well was 33K for one year, including the paperwork for the visa and extensions. 4 days a week, 2 hours a day. I'm pretty happy with it, but I would like more conversation practice.

For next year I'm thinking about going for the intermediate level in this school, or trying any other... I'd like at CMU but I'm now at low intermediate, so if they only do the beginner it's not an option to me

How about the cost at Payap?

Payap was excellent for me & really drove home the fact that learning to read/write while maybe not 100% needed in day to day life ...........WILL help your Thai Language skills immensely. Because seeing it written in Thai Alphabet will help your pronunciation so much more than Thai words transliterated into English which just does not work most of the time.
Absolutely agree

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, aremesal said:

How about the cost at Payap?

It was 8000 baht & if I remember right it was 8 weeks I believe ? I think it was 2 or 3 classes a week 3 hours each

But this was 2012 & I cannot seem to get to their web page

It is called Intensive Thai & you go ahead & they test you & place you.

If you have any experience you will likely go to level 3 as I did to start.

If so you want to know your alphabet & vowels ahead of time

A very good class & the teacher spends as much time as you need/want after class for help etc.

But it is as the name suggests a bit intensive & has homework

I am in US at the moment so you can call them or try search Payap Intensive Thai from there & the website may be working

Edited by mania

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, aremesal said:

I studied this year at We Learn Thai, at Pantip Plaza. If I remember well was 33K for one year, including the paperwork for the visa and extensions. 4 days a week, 2 hours a day. I'm pretty happy with it, but I would like more conversation practice.

For next year I'm thinking about going for the intermediate level in this school, or trying any other... I'd like at CMU but I'm now at low intermediate, so if they only do the beginner it's not an option to me emoji19.png

Since you have been learning at Pantip Plaza, you might want to try TSL at the same floor and same plaza, they have higher level classes and is cheaper than Payap.

By the way, how is the teaching at 'We learn Thai'?

I am surprised you didn't ask around there first. They provide one free observe session.

Edited by EricTh

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mania said:

It is called Intensive Thai & you go ahead & they test you & place you.

I met one or two previous students at Payap, they commented that it was too tough (can't teach) and so they are now studying at other schools.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1

Since you have been learning at Pantip Plaza, you might want to try TSL at the same floor and same plaza, they have higher level classes and is cheaper than Payap.

By the way, how is the teaching at 'We learn Thai'?

I am surprised you didn't ask around there first. They provide one free observe session.
I asked before enrolling last year, and chose WLT because the schedule is Mon-Thu, so I have long free weekends - others like TSL was M, T, T, F, I don't like that schedule.

At WLT they have beginner, intermediate and advanced levels, that's not a problem.

Do you want to know something specific about the teaching there? For me it's OK, but it's a big school so every month is a different teacher depending on the schedule, and some teachers are more of my like than others.

3 hours ago, aremesal said:

I asked before enrolling last year, and chose WLT because the schedule is Mon-Thu, so I have long free weekends - others like TSL was M, T, T, F, I don't like that schedule.

At WLT they have beginner, intermediate and advanced levels, that's not a problem.

It is Mon, Wed, Fri and not M,T,T, F.

That is three days per week and not four days per week like at WLT.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, EricTh said:

I met one or two previous students at Payap, they commented that it was too tough (can't teach) and so they are now studying at other schools.

Yeah as I said it is called Intensive Thai for a reason 😉

If your looking for a relaxed social type of school maybe the YMCA would be better

As for teachers....They were excellent

Spoke English perfectly & were always extremely helpful & concise

The definitely knew how to teach

Edited by mania
  • Like 1