Who fears the Reaper ?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think about it a lot, though more in sorrow than fear - a kind of pre-emptive nostalgia.

Getting old and decrepit is going to be unacceptable to me so I fully expect to self-euthanise at some point. That takes some mental as well as practical preparation.

Death...is a normal part of life...every living thing has an expiration date...how you spend your life...living each day as if you will live forever can delay the onset of physical and mental illness...live well, live free, show love and respect for all people...especially those that would try to take advantage of your good nature...they are consumed with greed and corruption...a miserable life indeed.

5 hours ago, JamesBlond said:

I think about it a lot, though more in sorrow than fear - a kind of pre-emptive nostalgia.

Getting old and decrepit is going to be unacceptable to me so I fully expect to self-euthanise at some point. That takes some mental as well as practical preparation.

Agree. My future if I don't die of natural causes holds a rest home attended by underpaid and overworked staff. Surely suicide is a better fate than that?

I fear not death as we all die- but I fear the manner of my passing. Few get to die peacefully in our sleep.

I've looked after many terminal people as a nurse, and there is nothing romantic about dying in a hospital or a care facility.

4 hours ago, brokenbone said:

more like an impatient waiting for it to end

When there is nothing to live for, why live?

I discovered too late that family is the only thing that gives meaning to life at the end. When youth and physical ability is gone, what is left worth living for- daytime tv?

Death is nothing to us. When we exist, death is not; and when death exists, we are not. All sensation and consciousness ends with death and therefore in death there is neither pleasure nor pain. The fear of death arises from the belief that in death, there is awareness.”

Epicurus 341 - 270BC

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I'm ready for him.

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead

Indeed, but getting dead is the hard part. I've seen patients go through horrible things just to survive a while longer. Makes no difference though- death is inevitable and unavoidable.

Knowing my luck, I'll die at the ripe old age of 106 while sleeping peacefully!

I have no fears, conquered them long ago and have actually left my body twice in my life, so I regard death as the start of something new ......

Just now, geronimo said:

Knowing my luck, I'll die at the ripe old age of 106 while sleeping peacefully!

I have no fears, conquered them long ago and have actually left my body twice in my life, so I regard death as the start of something new ......

so you came back without doing a TM30 ?

There's a lot of evidence to say that our spirit does survive physical death, and the only way I'll ever know for sure is to experience it for myself.

I have an exit bag plan in place and both my kids have promised they'll assist with that, should I deem it necessary!

I must admit I did some really crazy stuff when I was young, and as some of my old friends have said, I am the one they all thought wouldn't make it to 25.

I no longer seek out life on the edge, but do have a smug feeling, knowing that I flirted with death on many occasions and lived to tell the tale.

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Who's the Reaper because sounds like he cuts grass and our bit of farmland need to be harvested.  

GEOFFREY: It's a 'Mr. Death' or something. He's come about the reaping? I don't think we need any at the moment.

ANGELA: Hello. Well, don't leave him hanging around outside, darling. Ask him in.

4 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

GEOFFREY: It's a 'Mr. Death' or something. He's come about the reaping? I don't think we need any at the moment.

ANGELA: Hello. Well, don't leave him hanging around outside, darling. Ask him in.

GRIM REAPER: I've actually come for the pair of you!

Archived