Who fears the Reaper ?

Who hasn't thought about it. Taking your own life isn't in my cards. More like exercising the best to ability and then self medicating if have some aches and pains and prolonging things so the family doesn't have the stigma of ole dad killing himself the selfish way. As of actually scared- Nope. Scared of not having my family totally set up is the big thing and seeing the kids married and grandkids.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'For millions of years mankind lived just like the animals
Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination
We learned to talk'. (Stephan Hawking on Pink Floyd's The Division Bell) 

The gazelle fleeing the leopard doe not do so because it fears death, it is simply following the 'fight or flight' message coming from its amygdala in the brain. The most visible example of Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection. It has no concept of death as we understand it. 

But we learned to talk and so were able to make up myths and legends, no doubt amply aided by the use of hallucinogenic substances. And so the 'fear of death' was born. Just another example of Hawkin's 'power of imagination'.

18 minutes ago, geronimo said:

to expand the topic a little, what do you think is on the other side?

There is already a ;do you believe in God' topic has been going on for a long time but

no proof either way.

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Who hasn't thought about it. Taking your own life isn't in my cards. More like exercising the best to ability and then self medicating if have some aches and pains and prolonging things so the family doesn't have the stigma of ole dad killing himself the selfish way. As of actually scared- Nope. Scared of not having my family totally set up is the big thing and seeing the kids married and grandkids.

Agree that if you have family then you should prolong things as long as you have a practical role to play, but there comes a point when you are mainly a burden on them, especially if one lapses into dementia, and then it's more selfish to cling on.

I believe it is possible to exit gracefully without anyone knowing you have done it - fake an accident, for example - if you have the right plan in place. Best to stay on cordial terms with the Reaper well in advance.

Death is going to come to all, it's the ultimate equalizer. My thoughts are easy, I try to prolong my life, my quality of that life by my choices in food, life style and where I live. I ain't gonna go to the grave or oven meekly, they will have to drag my sorry arse kicking and screaming. If I can make if to the point where death is inevitable I want to go back to Ireland and pass there. Until then, look out Thailand cause I'm here to party and kick up my feet.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Nobody's afraid of being dead. It's the how you die bit that should worry you, most people have no idea of what happens in hospitals - toes cut off, legs, going blind etc (diabetes), feeling nauseous and unable to enjoy food - lack of palliative care (in Thailand), being patronised by doctors and nurses alike... then there's the worry about your family that may still be at school etc... 

My father had a horrible death in England and I was only able to visit for 10 days before he went into the "vile stench room" some time later.

19 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Agree that if you have family then you should prolong things as long as you have a practical role to play, but there comes a point when you are mainly a burden on them, especially if one lapses into dementia, and then it's more selfish to cling on.

I believe it is possible to exit gracefully without anyone knowing you have done it - fake an accident, for example - if you have the right plan in place. Best to stay on cordial terms with the Reaper well in advance.

Well, my family just went through that dementia thing with my dad and everyone is feeling ok as they took care until the end. Now relieved. So naturally or fake an accident like over medicating or something is not so unfathomable. Maybe even licking an electrical socket? Jumping off a bridge flying out a window or into an oncoming vehicle is out of the question. I just don't believe in passing on remorse to anyone, especially the innocent.

42 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I hope the reaper doesn't insist on 400k in a bank account for months and about a dozen counter-signed pieces of paper.

You'll probably have to show evidence of death every 90 days .....

13 hours ago, JamesBlond said:

I think about it a lot, though more in sorrow than fear - a kind of pre-emptive nostalgia.

Getting old and decrepit is going to be unacceptable to me so I fully expect to self-euthanise at some point. That takes some mental as well as practical preparation.

You said it all for me. I do have regrets about my past ...and I also am aware of the blessings that have come my way. I am sad that I have ended up "alone" in this life...which in itself can be frightening if one was to "dwell" too much on what could happen as a result...but I thank God that I am also an "optimist"...and look forward to every new day with a sense of excitement in the hope that.. that "special person might enter into my life.

14 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Yeah, a bizarre topic I know, but taking the average age on here to be mid to late 60's or even older, I just wondered if anyone has pondered their final day in the Land of Smiles ?

Just hope that your death isn't reported on Thai Visa where it will inevitably be a source of speculative nonsense and pages of childish humor posted by the cabal of self styled TV comedians.

13 hours ago, JamesBlond said:

I think about it a lot, though more in sorrow than fear - a kind of pre-emptive nostalgia.

Getting old and decrepit is going to be unacceptable to me so I fully expect to self-euthanise at some point. That takes some mental as well as practical preparation.

nothing wrong with euthanasia imo, just don't jump and possibly land on others or scare some kids like those other morons that do it..

13 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Just hope that your death isn't reported on Thai Visa where it will inevitably be a source of speculative nonsense and pages of childish humor posted by the cabal of self styled TV comedians.

Hopefully I have a few more miles under the bonnet (Hood) to go yet, parts are beginning to show signs of wear & tear, the knees are in a bad way and my lower back kills me after a few minutes of standing, so I'm not as agile or active as I used to be or would like to be now, but a healthy attitude to life helps, as long as my demise is not a long drawn out painful and messy affair I will be happy, unfortunately none of us are privy in advance to our passing. ???? 

32 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Not fearing the reaper at all.

He would want a TM29 (Final Change of Address Form) to process me, and since I won't bother filling that out, he will refuse me... 

I taught special ed behavior mostly gangsters, and your mention of filling in forms reminded me of time I decided to be a bit snarky regarding "termination of services" form for student who'd been shot dead (I had more than enough of those & reaction at times similar to posts here regarding traffic deaths)

Lines like "do you think student will require community services? Which ones?"  uh, funeral?

"Do you foresee student returning to school and requiring special ed services?" Maybe if Jesus does a Lazarus on him, otherwise, no

"Have you developed a transition plan with the student and appropriate agencies?" His departure was rather sudden,  though not outside realm of possibility or probability, no plan was made.

Things like that

Never did hear from administration about my answers, btw

15 hours ago, JamesBlond said:

You don't live in a Pattaya condo do you!

Good question, I don't fear death but certainly think about it now and again as my body starts to break down. Pretty positive though and my lovely Thai wife keeps me young in mind and body (mostly)

When the inevitable happens I hope it's quick, but if not, then as long as I have strength in my fingers it's a bullet in the brain and what's left goes on the charcoal fire.

16 hours ago, JamesBlond said:

It is a mans right to die with boots on, not diapers from Pampers! 

Just dont make your final breath to messy! Have some class when going out!

I generally associate my death with a very deep sleep ???? I enjoy a few beers everyday so by the time bedtime comes around, usually about 23.30 hrs I am pleasantly tired, normally my head will hit the pillow and that's me away with the fairies until about 09.00 hrs the following morning, unless of course the Mrs has other ideas then I may not get to rest until about 01.00 hrs or later, yep lucky me, I know. ????

Anyway to get back to my first sentence, having consumed copious amounts of beer I fall into a very heavy sleep, totally black, no dreaming, no semblance of consciousness until my bladder wakes me up (which is a blessing) ???? so I compare death to a heavy sleep or the state you would be in if you were administered a general anaesthetic. 

My ideal would to be to hit the sack (preferably with a few beers inside me) and never wake up, that way no pain, no remorse, no suffering.

I have also told my Mrs (we're not married but may as well be) that if she finds me dead in bed to please stick a pair of shorts on me, I don't want the local press or RTP taking vile pics of my naked body ???? 

6 hours ago, idman said:

Death is going to come to all, it's the ultimate equalizer. My thoughts are easy, I try to prolong my life, my quality of that life by my choices in food, life style and where I live. I ain't gonna go to the grave or oven meekly, they will have to drag my sorry arse kicking and screaming. If I can make if to the point where death is inevitable I want to go back to Ireland and pass there. Until then, look out Thailand cause I'm here to party and kick up my feet.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

you aren't planning to go with dignity then? More like this:-

"Do not go gentle into that good night

old age should burn and rave at close of day

rage,rage at the dying of the light".   Dylan Thomas

Archived