BANGKOK
webfact

At least one dead, 10 injured as building under construction collapses in Phuket

Looks like scaffolding used was not fit for the purpose, might be ok for small beams, but more generally used for workers on the outside of the building.

49 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

We deforest all the way without worrying or even worrying about what will happen in the next storm.

When we see where these buildings are built we can suspect that those already built will suffer the same fate during the next storm.
the hill will be detached from its base and bring with it the buildings already built

Have a look at the photos a drone did

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/scaffolding-collapse-at-vip-mercury-condominium-in-rawai-phuket-kills-1

I don't know much about construction but those pics do not look safe at all. Looks like just waiting for the right storm to come through erode the ground and destroy all the buildings with it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

Looks to me there's a chance of more debris falling......but only about half the people on site wearing hard hats. Not enough to go round?

No just the usual disregard for safety !

So many new building being built in Thailand especially Bangkok.

I hope this isn't a precursor....

The building being built lately are put together so quickly and cheaply and made to look good only from the outside.

It's all about profit and how to make something as cheap as possible with maximum returns....at the expense of lives.

Image result for cheaply madebuilding

• Like 1

It was just a few weeka ago a similar collapse in Cambodia (Sihanookville) occured....... 

It was reported that the company building it was Chinese........ (Always saving money)........

I can't help wonder of this was more Chinese people in charge............ 

I can remember also a tall building in Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima) all upper floors collapsing on top of the ground floor...... everybody on the ground floor died........ Later it was learned that the building was only issued a permit  for 3 (or 4) levels but later was added to 7 floors illegally....

I can't forget that incident when I see this and the Canbodian collapse........

• Like 1

Very sad news indeed, my thoughts are with the families of any deceased, the injured, and any poor souls lying trapped beneath the rubble.

Construction sites are dangerous places everywhere in the world. I just hope this incident was not because safety regulations were compromised for financial reasons.

• Like 2