At least one dead, 10 injured as building under construction collapses in Phuket

webfact

1 hour ago, brian2f2f said:

I don't know much about construction but those pics do not look safe at all. Looks like just waiting for the right storm to come through erode the ground and destroy all the buildings with it. 

Exactly what I thought on seeing the pics Assurancet posted.  Might look alright at ground level but looking from a drone ..........no thanks .

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all bamboo scaffolding is very good, used to build high rise all over Asia at one time. Secondly the building here has not collapsed it is the formwork and steelwork that has given way during the concrete being poured. There is a massive amount of dead weight in the rebar and it looks as if the supporting frames were not up to the job, so Engineers and site inspectors responsibility.

Rest in peace for those who did not survive and hope the injured recover soon, construction is dangerous work and the average worker here needs constant supervision.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

At least eight people have already been taken to Chalong Hospital whilst others are believed to be trapped under the wreckage as rescue workers battle to find survivors. Two people are now listed as officially missing.

If any of these workers were trafficked illegal immigrants, there'll be no compensation. Likely not even public recognition that they exist.

As usual 95% of the commentators are completely unaffected by this Phuket event- it hasn't stopped ignorant comments or armchair judgement though.

Cue the next lame 'is this the end of tourism in Phuket' comment. 

As stated above the collapse happened during a concrete pour.

The Thai news last night stated they were trying to find victims under the wet concrete before it hardened.

Those criticizing Thai building standards should check out what's been happening with condos in Sydney lately.

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

Looks to me there's a chance of more debris falling......but only about half the people on site wearing hard hats. Not enough to go round?

Perhaps the ones without hard hats have thick skulls?

4 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Bamboo scaffolding never collapse;

I remember in Ho Chi Minh TP , year 1996,  the first building they built in the No. 1 neighborhood, very close to the big market Ben Than, the scaffolding were all bamboo to incredible heights

They build skyscrapers in HK with it.

7 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

Never got completed,bet many are worried  where they live now.typical Thailand build quality 

Maybe the contractor is the same company engaged in the high rise buildings in Sydney Australia? Tenants had to be evacuated. Typical of the problems here.

5 hours ago, neeray said:

My first thought when I read the headline was of the bamboo scaffolding that I've seen lots of in Thailand. But viewing the pictures, I see steel scaffolding is being used.

(I really do prefer single story accommodation) 

Bambo   Scafolding  maybe not look strong and ugly but actualy is more stronger then steel because it is flexible  for thousands of years bambo is used for scaffolding 

if this is fitted right super solid 

Some mistakes

feel sorry for the day workers  there day money for family food .

even worse some one has passed away and some injured ,

but not just here this happens it is everywhere 

last year eindhoven brand new multy story carpart floors colapsed never been used now back to crumbled stone and recicled metal 

4 hours ago, sharpjwe said:

Very stupid comment 

thais are good at building  

newly poured concrete I suppose the scaffolding was weak need to wait for the investigation to be completed 

all infrastructure construction i see here is fast efficient and quality 

accidents happen too

I must have seen the "bad ones" then because in general the build quality where I live (around Patong) is and has been abysmal.

And as if to back that up some buyers of apts/condos here whom I know are experiencing major leaks in their places, and they were not cheap ones either.

Sad to hear that lives have been lost.

3 Burmese workers dead following collapse at VIP Condo construction site in Rawai

By The Thaiger

d3.jpg

Two workers have been found dead following yesterday’s collapse at the construction site of the VIP Mercury and VIP Galaxy condo and villa site in Rawai. The two migrant workers were trapped under scaffolding that collapsed bringing the death toll to 3. Eight others were hurt.

The site was going to be the showroom for the VIP Galaxy villas being constructed behind the almost-complete VIP Mercury Condominium development.

The body of the last worker was retrieved from the collapsed construction site at 9am this morning. Rescuers used an industrial drill and backhoes to sift through the debris for the two remaining workers.

One worker was killed instantly and at least eight others injured when scaffolding at the construction site crashed to the ground near Rawai Beach in the south of Phuket just after 2pm yesterday afternoon. Police say the workers were Burmese.

Rescuers, a drilling machine and two backhoes were deployed to search for the two remaining workers trapped under the debris. One of them was later found and sent to Vachira Phuket Hospital, where doctors confirmed the worker was dead, said the deputy governor.

Among the eight workers injured, five have already been discharged from hospitals.

More video and photos at The Thaiger Phuket Facebook page.

Source: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/3-burmese-workers-dead-following-collapse-at-vip-condo-construction-site-in-rawai

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-08-12

3 confirmed dead now...

The weight of the reinforcement looks like it exceeded the weight of the brown paper envelopes on this job.

But, come on, lets be realistic. 
Suspended floors with correct reo and a high slump concrete are NOT going to be supported by the light weight scaffolding framework they use. 

Its like,
 "The sins of my fathers ".
My grandfather do, i copy.
My father do, i copy. 
Minimum skills, quite possibly no qualifications. 
And the computations are a waste of time if the support framework is bargain basement. 

They dump concrete in one spot instead of load distribution. 

What else can you expect?

I tried to get local people to use new tools and safety equipment for a job of mine. 

Wear boots. Hard hats.
Not use, not want to scratch or get dirty..

Safety signs everywhere. 

But not even a box with a band aid in it.

Another one bites the dust...

8 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

And a farang EMT. Good on him!

Pity they didn't have a farang site Engineer or OH&S enforcement. 

Structural computations don't mean squat if the language is different,  or the skill set is extracted from the bottom of the gene pool. 

Life is cheap in Thailand. 

Malaysian workers on a Thailand build. 

Its like Nepalese running shops in patong. 

Sort of tells a story about who wants to work.

Not the locals. 

Sad, really sad.

It makes me question how the ones that are standing stay up!!

7 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Bamboo scaffolding never collapse;

I remember in Ho Chi Minh TP , year 1996,  the first building they built in the No. 1 neighborhood, very close to the big market Ben Than, the scaffolding were all bamboo to incredible heights

Nonsense, a simple google search will show many instances of bamboo scaffolding collapses.

7 hours ago, sharpjwe said:

Very stupid comment 

thais are good at building  

newly poured concrete I suppose the scaffolding was weak need to wait for the investigation to be completed 

all infrastructure construction i see here is fast efficient and quality 

accidents happen too

Not stupid at all. There are a large number of projects where poor building practices have caused demolition or major rework.

2 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Pity they didn't have a farang site Engineer or OH&S enforcement. 

Structural computations don't mean squat if the language is different,  or the skill set is extracted from the bottom of the gene pool. 

Life is cheap in Thailand. 

Malaysian workers on a Thailand build. 

Its like Nepalese running shops in patong. 

Sort of tells a story about who wants to work.

Not the locals. 

Sad, really sad.

It makes me question how the ones that are standing stay up!!

Before commenting and making jokes of nationalities by showing off as a farang then must look at at least one example of

Farang Failure https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/23/us/miami-beach-building-collapse/index.html

????

People have lost their lives, others have suffered life changing injuries and some are still trapped beneath the debris; and you seize upon it as an opportunity to troll the comments in order to try and be humorous.

You are not funny, but you are a rather sad example of our species, and you are not welcome here.

4 hours ago, Thaifriends said:

Before commenting and making jokes of nationalities by showing off as a farang then must look at at least one example of

Farang Failure https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/23/us/miami-beach-building-collapse/index.html

????

Many farang failures. 

Many failure farangs too.

Nothing to do with showing off. 

Read the Phuket news and several people willing to offer skills training to locals, but they know better...

My observation, as shown by several others, was from the experience and Engineering knowledge held.

They flaunt the rules and regulations and sometimes it goes sadly wrong. 

10 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Many farang failures. 

Many failure farangs too.

Nothing to do with showing off. 

Read the Phuket news and several people willing to offer skills training to locals, but they know better...

My observation, as shown by several others, was from the experience and Engineering knowledge held.

They flaunt the rules and regulations and sometimes it goes sadly wrong. 

Agreed reluctantly????

Archived