At least one dead, 10 injured as building under construction collapses in Phuket

webfact

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if they had a building permit? So many of these projects get built without the required environmental impact study and building permit. 

As far as I know, there's no sort of formal inspection carried out by the amphur on permitted projects during the course of construction, which would have likely prevented this accident.

17 minutes ago, DrDave said:

I wonder if they had a building permit? So many of these projects get built without the required environmental impact study and building permit. 

As far as I know, there's no sort of formal inspection carried out by the amphur on permitted projects during the course of construction, which would have likely prevented this accident.

They only inspect how fat the envelope is. 

I doubt they visit the sites at all. 

38 minutes ago, DrDave said:

This construction site has been going on for a while and they have built 5 other blocks of condos this one seems like it would have been the last one I hardly think this would have gone ahead without permits and it is across the road from the Tessaban we dont know what happened yet, the local or bor tor is pretty pro active I see him around all the time

2 hours ago, DrDave said:

Do you honestly think that theres anyone qualified to carry out an inspection at the Amphor?

14 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

People have lost their lives, others have suffered life changing injuries and some are still trapped beneath the debris; and you seize upon it as an opportunity to troll the comments in order to try and be humorous.

You are not funny, but you are a rather sad example of our species, and you are not welcome here.

Well said that man !!!!!!!!!

A troll post making a joke out of this tragedy has been removed, all quoted replies to it have also been removed

A further post attacking another member has been removed, you need to refresh you page before you post further in this topic.

1 hour ago, jkcjag said:

It looks like the scaffolding and steelwork in progress has collapsed, not the building.

Exactly .... nothing to do with building plans and permission. Any construction method is not controlled other than visits (maybe) from the area building control. 

17 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

People have lost their lives, others have suffered life changing injuries and some are still trapped beneath the debris; and you seize upon it as an opportunity to troll the comments in order to try and be humorous.

You are not funny, but you are a rather sad example of our species, and you are not welcome here.

Eh?????

There's a new construction underway near to my home, an area of 4 floor condo's with a shop area on the ground floor... all Burmese workers with a Thai that comes to check the progress every afternoon.

I shudder as I go past the site, no safety equipment at all, men, wives, some with babies in hand all over the building like ants. No exterior or interior scaffolding, no acro's or supports. Concrete being brought in via buckets from the lorry parked out in the road, limited equipment of any description, hand tools which would make you weep !

Thailand 2019 !

7 hours ago, hansgruber said:

Good luck selling any more of these condo's once the Chinese found out about the deaths on site. 

They are superstitious and won't buy if people died in the construction process. 

Ghosts and all that.

There's a house down our street where some korean died a while back. usual story, only noticed he was dead after the smell got too bad. Anyhow, the rent went from 100% to 50% usual price and it's still not rented. So, it aint just the Chinese with the same attitude 

Very sad. People died because of something that is preventable with proper procedures n checks.

families devastated.

children without parents.

rescue workers seeing the carnage.

all poor people I guess who are injured n died.

????????

21 hours ago, Seismic said:

Nonsense, a simple google search will show many instances of bamboo scaffolding collapses.

Bamboo can stand great stress because their tensile strength is high. However given years under the UV sunlight, they can become 

brittle and loses their tensile strength. They may have high tensile strength but if over their limit, they still give way.  

22 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

There's a house down our street where some korean died a while back. usual story, only noticed he was dead after the smell got too bad. Anyhow, the rent went from 100% to 50% usual price and it's still not rented. So, it aint just the Chinese with the same attitude 

I hope the owners provide some form of rituals to send the departed spirits on their way or else the spirits may linger at their place of death and create disturbances. Hope the departed’s family are well compensated too. 

23 hours ago, observer90210 said:

should stop hiring chinese engineers and workers maybe...

Chinese engineers can be top notch too. .. see all those fantastic Chinese engineering constructions currently going on in China. There are also lots of Chinese construction projects in Singapore which pass singapore’s stringent construction requirements. 

If you still think China construction engineering is below par, you are behind the times. 

What a sad metaphor for so much that is wrong with Thailand and the world. Cheap immigrant labour risking life and limb doing poorly-regulated, risky work for their wealthy peers - and paying the ultimate price.

My heart goes out to the dead and injured and to the families who rely on the pittance they are routinely paid for such hazardous and hard toil.

If the government has a conscience, it will now raise minimum nationwide daily wage for ALL workers, whether Thai or imported, to 400 baht per day. 

2 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

What a sad metaphor for so much that is wrong with Thailand and the world. Cheap immigrant labour risking life and limb doing poorly-regulated, risky work for their wealthy peers - and paying the ultimate price.

My heart goes out to the dead and injured and to the families who rely on the pittance they are routinely paid for such hazardous and hard toil.

If the government has a conscience, it will now raise minimum nationwide daily wage for ALL workers, whether Thai or imported, to 400 baht per day. 

Raising the wages for ALL workers would create an influx of even more migrant workers creating more headache for immigration and other related ministries. 

31 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Raising the wages for ALL workers would create an influx of even more migrant workers creating more headache for immigration and other related ministries. 

The solution is to reduce reliance on migrant workers.  This would encourage employers to offer proper wages and conditions to attract indigenous workers, increasing numbers of whom are going to replaced in coming years by automation and AI.

22 hours ago, Thaifriends said:

Before commenting and making jokes of nationalities by showing off as a farang then must look at at least one example of

Farang Failure https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/23/us/miami-beach-building-collapse/index.html

????

Albert Cabada, who owns the restoration company GC Construction, was working on the building next door and filmed the collapse. Cabada told CNN that the building was slated to be demolished in sections this week, but instead it collapsed completely.
"As far as I could tell they were scrambling before the collapse to close the streets," he said.
Cabada said that demolition workers removed large sections of structural load-bearing walls on the front of the building, a decision that caused Cabada to notify management at the site that the demolition prep concerned him.
"It was poorly planned, in my opinion," he added.

They were taking the building down, an one person was injured~big difference

56 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

The solution is to reduce reliance on migrant workers.  This would encourage employers to offer proper wages and conditions to attract indigenous workers, increasing numbers of whom are going to replaced in coming years by automation and AI.

There is a big shortage of Thai skilled workers so there lies a problem and Thai's just want to be Tuk Tuk drivers 

The Thai carpenters that I know here in Phuket want a 1000 Baht per day them sites wont pay that

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

There is a big shortage of Thai skilled workers so there lies a problem and Thai's just want to be Tuk Tuk drivers 

Take you point and, having put five kids through the Thai education system I have a pretty good idea of why this is.

Archived