Thai Airways faces more bad news with bigger losses in Q2

webfact

16 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Payback for blacklisting me 3 years ago for asking a simple question of why they want £35 per kilo to take an extra bag. may the great news continue with even bigger losses????

Yes their excess baggage is far in excess it seems to me.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Longcut said:

Must be time to raise prices again to make up for the shortfall. 

That makes really good business sense, drive more to less expensive carriers ????

QANTAS will be grateful

Expensive.

Poor inflight services.

Ground plus cabin crew stand offish, nothing like the adverts as shown within media.

Thai staff made me feel unwelcome plus uncomfortable, as though I ow them not the other way round. Customet services in Thailand is very poor. Thai are too above themselves.

20 minutes ago, G950 said:

Avoid their 747 business class seats, they are not even at the same standard as a premium economy seat in any of the current 5 star airlines. Old and tired seats, no lay flat option.

Completely agree....don’t want to sound like I am biggingbmyself but I fly business a lot and try to avoid Thai for this very reason....I will use them if the aircraft is an A380 as they rarely replace those as last minute operational changes.

I can say with hand on heart that Singapore Airways economy class to BKK is better than Thai Airways business class on their old aircraft.

I can’t believe that removing the salt and pepper sachets from economy class meals didn’t reverse these losses.

Seriously though, someone somewhere at Thai Airways came up with the idea of removing the salt and pepper satches in meals in order to save money....tells you everything you need to know.

I fly to Europe about 3 times per year, always Business Class, and often with my wife. Why should I pay almost 50 % more than on SWISS Intl Airlines, or almost 100 % more than Singapore Airlines when they have promotions? THB 149,000 to Zurich ist just crazy and out of any range. But apparently noone at THAI Airways is worried, and unlimited losses seem to be acceptable to both the management and the government.

I try to avoid taking Thai Airways as much as possible because my experiences have been well below average. I've taken it to Sapporo 3 of the last 4 years to go skiing. Only because it is the only direct flight from Swampy. I found that having frequent flier points only means junk emails. If another airlines were to create a direct flight, I would jump at the change. 

Only going to get worst, I come from Perth to bkk, lm 193cm tall always get to airport early and ask for exit row for extra leg room have done for 6 years, this time sorry sir we change last week it now $65US, l was a silver member with them used to get extra 10kg allowance sorry sir no more $30Aud per kg, the baht has been falling every year for 5 years was 32baht to the $ now 20.6baht to the $, the Thai Governmentwon't devalue the baht, but they say tourism is up REALLY were are they looking it won't be the wet season that sinks Thailand,  WAKE UP

With Budget airlines such as JetStar out of Sydney and plenty of the other carriers such as Malaysian offering  400$ cheaper fares into Bangkok and Samui Thai will keep losing money.An aging fleet  tired cabins and minimum promotional deals means your average tourist is flying or looking elsewhere.A classical case of management not keeping up with the times!

Everytime I make a booking for any flights, I always check the price comparison with THAI and invariably - their price is at least $ 100 - $ 150.00 higher. So economic reasons prevail - however, if the price is actually close to what other (main) Airlines have - then I still opt for Thai. Unfortunately, this is very seldom the case. .....

2 hours ago, leeneeds said:

I fly Thai mostly myself, although the seats have somewhat lost their comfort by years of use, the direct flights offered is my main reason for choosing this Airline,  I found the meals good on my flights, 

The option to upgrade is something the airline should look at once the cabin doors are sealed, so many times I see the business section with only a few people, they could offer the upgrade for available seats after take off, and  after economy meal time, selling those seats for an extra 2 -300 dollars for the rest of a flight it would be something I would take up for the extra comfort.

I also fly Thai and for the past few years have been a Platinum member. However now that I have retired, that status is probably not going to go beyond the next 12 months and then I have to manage my own situation.

Thai already offer the upgrade option, however it is not $200-300, it is more like a $1,000 BKKSYD to upgrade to Business, depending on how much you paid for your Economy ticket.

Let's say that a normal return Business ticket is $3,300 and normal flexible Economy is $1,400 and the price difference is $3300 - $1400 = $1900.

So the price difference per leg is $950

If we split the difference and I save $475 and Thai makes an additional $475 per passenger, then there might be more takers.

This weekend Thai have special pricing for flights from AU to TH and it is obvious that flights are not full and the fundamental reason is the exchange rate. For Aussies looking to go on holiday this will be a major factor in the decision.

Again, not really surprising. There is no premium economy available, even though it is advertised. Business Class is crap. You may also have to sit on a plane on the tarmac for up to an hour before departure without any air conditioning then put up with freezing temperatures during the flight.

On a lot of flights it is not possible to check in on line for flights. I've made suggestions several times but they have been totally ignored. Don't even bother attempting to book a flight with them nowadays.

58 minutes ago, G950 said:

Avoid their 747 business class seats, they are not even at the same standard as a premium economy seat in any of the current 5 star airlines. Old and tired seats, no lay flat option.

Still better than the economy seat if you are on a long flight.

48 minutes ago, Longcut said:

Must be time to raise prices again to make up for the shortfall. 

That is the "usual" way - things are being done in Thailand. Just look at what they do in Patts during the Low season - prices go up - to cover the shortfall, until the high season starts again.... after all = TiT 

Prices of flights are a complete jungle.  I would recommend everybody to always use a flight search-engine when looking for options (Momondo, Matrix or Flyscanner are good ones).

E.g. I recently booked via Momondo a Thai Arways flight from Brussels to Bangkok at 30% lower cost for same flight from a travel-broker (Expedia) than if I would have used the official Thai Airways website=rate.

Expensive.
Poor inflight services.
Ground plus cabin crew stand offish, nothing like the adverts as shown within media.

Thai staff made me feel unwelcome plus uncomfortable, as though I ow them not the other way round. Customet services in Thailand is very poor. Thai are too above themselves.

That’s the Thai business psyche ! Company more important than any customer

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

29 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Reducing their baggage allowance from 30 kg to 20 kg was a killer for me. Back to Emirates again.

Quite bad decision to drop to 20 kg as most international airlines  are at 23 kg in economy .

(This correspond to th 50 pounds US use ) 

It may cause  some problems for corresponding flight. 

I have a flight to Europe with Air FRance ( 23 kg) and later I fly THai to Bangkok ( 20 kg ).

No upgrade available for 3 kg but I can buy 25 kg at about 4,500 THB on the website. Quite a scam.

3 hours ago, leeneeds said:

I fly Thai mostly myself, although the seats have somewhat lost their comfort by years of use, the direct flights offered is my main reason for choosing this Airline,  I found the meals good on my flights, 

The option to upgrade is something the airline should look at once the cabin doors are sealed, so many times I see the business section with only a few people, they could offer the upgrade for available seats after take off, and  after economy meal time, selling those seats for an extra 2 -300 dollars for the rest of a flight it would be something I would take up for the extra comfort.

I wonder how the passengers that paid full price for business class, would think about your idea?

"Aviation analysts say the legacy airline struggles to operate with ageing aircraft, declining tourist arrivals and a strong Thai currency."

Declining tourists and strong Baht? I thought our illustrious leaders have been telling us we have great tourism numbers and the Baht is not affecting the economy at all - which is growing just fine. The problem is these lying faring newspapers again - fake news.
All new need is some "Make Thailand Great Again" hats and that should do the trick. OH, and a little less siphoning of the funds please.

1 minute ago, Xonax said:

I wonder how the passengers that paid full price for business class, would think about your idea?

They won't know what you paid and neither will the flight attendants.

The same as when you purchase an economy ticket and then upgrade with points. It is completely oblivious to frontline staff what you paid and you get exactly the same service as a full fare passenger.

I always used to think that you would get a secondary service using the upgrade facilities, but it is not the case, in my experience.

Archived