Thai Airways faces more bad news with bigger losses in Q2

webfact

Used to fly Thai from LAX to BKK when it was a direct flight. Did not mind the extra cost. Those 747"s are like the U S A F

B-52's. A very Strong plane, not plastic like the Tinker toy jets of Europe. Had a bad flight with almost 2 full hours of

Great Turbulence and Drastic altitude changes. Don't know how those wings stayed on. the Plastic Euro jets would of 

fallen apart or got lost somewhere. Well, the management will Bankrupt this Airline soon enough. Better buy allot of Black Paint

to cover over the Tail Emblems soon !!!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Reducing their baggage allowance from 30 kg to 20 kg was a killer for me. Back to Emirates again.

And when my Royal Orchid card was cancelled due to inactivity, only because many cheaper seats now have no accrued points.. 

I was getting 30kg baggage free, and an additional 10kg for Royal Orchid membership, so 40 kg free.. Now only a measly 20kg and at double the price of AA even when checking in 30kg baggage. 

Just like Phuket, their goldendays are gone! I have a flight with Thai airways to Europe next week, I'll bring my on food on the the flight, can't eat the crap they offer. And of course, the strongest possible sleeping pill+painkiller to survive those horrific hours. A big mistake to pic Thai, but it's the last time.

20 minutes ago, Xonax said:

I wonder how the passengers that paid full price for business class, would think about your idea?

I don't think they would care,  as I say it is only after the meal time, pre booking and fast track is not included,

44 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Apart from Thai, what has been the worst airline you have flown on? I think mine Indian Airlines if they are still in business, disgusting even first class 

BA without a doubt. Awful airline. 

I read somewhere just now that the TAT is saying an increasein toerists of 9%

in the next quarter.

What if they just allow the Thai Air to fly all of those people?

Win win for everyone!!!

Am i starting to think like a Thai now?

The only way to turn around Thai's disastrous loss is a total restructure of its business model.. Get rid of the old cronies from management, no more freebies for govt employees, heavily reduce staff..

Be more competitive with their fares, discounts for long dated bookings, back to 30kg check-in baggage. 

Cull the older fleet and update with more fuel efficient aircraft, and get someone with international airline management experience to take the helm.. But we all know that won't happen.. TIT.. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Airline has been criticised for resisting changes to its business culture and upper management – long accused of cronyism, nepotism and inefficiencies.

Dinosaurs that refuse to evolve will become extinct.

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

Not unexpected …. a friend flew in on Friday night from Australia and told me it was a horrible trip.

Old plane from Brisbane, I think he said it was a 747,  also a box under the seat in front prevented him from putting his legs straight under.  He said the food was terrible, and when he got to Swappy the que's were horrendous … apparently it was around 1 1/2 - 2 hrs before he got through immigration.

Thai airways needs an axe ….it's carrying far too many freeloaders within management especially.  

Chop 50% of the staff and cut the overheads …..  quickly,  and you may just survive.

I'm amazed......you have a friend??

29 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I have never heard of that on any airline. 

a friend of mine bought economy ticket, called the airline to check the cost for an upgrade, didn't like the price. At check in asked again, got a lower quote but still too much. As soon as the doors were closed he asked the cabin crew and was quoted the same as at check in, so he said: this I could get at check in including fast lane and lounge. Now the doors are closed, no one else is boarding and you have empty seats up front. He gave an offer that seemed fair to him and was accepted by the cabin crew.

this was on Thai airways, don't know about other airlines

4 hours ago, Da Nang said:

The Flag Carrier has worst lounges at it home base.

Home page, try to buy tickets, over ten years, impossible!

Use miles, never working!

Most expensive airline in the region, totally crap.

Domestic or international, Thai Airways, NEVER!

Thai lounges at Suvarnabhumi are fine.

It's easy to buy tickets from their website.

Miles are easy to use - just visit the ticket office to upgrade or purchase tickets.

You're clearly doing it wrong.

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

777 flight Bne to BKK business nearly always full both ways.

Only direct flight to Thailand from Bne.

Ticket price always more expensive as only direct flight

Don't bring actual, factual experience into the discussion - the Thai bashers/cheap charlies who never actually fly anywhere will hate you for this.

Could it by any chance be graft and corruption, that are sucking the life out of Thai Airways? 

Expensive tickets, low service, few investments, low cost staff and tax payers money, should have made Thai Airways a very profitable airline.  A few independent economists should be able to point out, where the money is leaking out.  Could it be, that some powerful people are doing their best, not to disclose where the money is being lost? 

2 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The State Railway of Thailand is a close relative. It is over 100 billion baht in debt plus another 25 billion payout to Hopewell. Taxpayers subsidising management bloat and incompetence.

Write to your local member and complain very forcefully.

59 minutes ago, Xonax said:

I wonder how the passengers that paid full price for business class, would think about your idea?

Ha, ha, funny, and what do you think in economy?

Last time I pay at Thaiair BKK-BRU 45000thb, my neighbor,   he was allowed to go for half that price.

1 hour ago, wisperone said:

Why don't they hire a airline executive who has turned airlines around in the past. Oh yeah, that would be a loss of face to have to admit to needing outside help. 

Well, long time they do with the captain, from American origine.

But that's a long time ago.

1 hour ago, Boedog said:

Only going to get worst, I come from Perth to bkk, lm 193cm tall always get to airport early and ask for exit row for extra leg room have done for 6 years, this time sorry sir we change last week it now $65US, l was a silver member with them used to get extra 10kg allowance sorry sir no more $30Aud per kg, the baht has been falling every year for 5 years was 32baht to the $ now 20.6baht to the $, the Thai Governmentwon't devalue the baht, but they say tourism is up REALLY were are they looking it won't be the wet season that sinks Thailand,  WAKE UP

Ask the Aussie government to revalue the dollar relative to the Baht. Good luck with that.

Fly from Perth to BKK 3-4 times a year with my wife.Same menu for as long as I can remember! Compared to Qantas or Singapore Thai is slipping further back in the race seriously concidering changing airlines the only problem is the transit in Singapore.On this flight new announcement after meal service "Cabin service for beverages will cease from now, any passenger requiring drinks please go to galley for service as walking will reduce the effects of alcohol". Of course they do not say we are to lazy to serve you. Also have to agree with previous comment on hard seats, they have never reupholstered the seats on the old planes,numb bum after first hour.

25 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

a friend of mine bought economy ticket, called the airline to check the cost for an upgrade, didn't like the price. At check in asked again, got a lower quote but still too much. As soon as the doors were closed he asked the cabin crew and was quoted the same as at check in, so he said: this I could get at check in including fast lane and lounge. Now the doors are closed, no one else is boarding and you have empty seats up front. He gave an offer that seemed fair to him and was accepted by the cabin crew.

this was on Thai airways, don't know about other airlines

Did he get a receipt?  I bet not. Interesting that Thai institutional corruption even exists on the Thai National airline when the doors are closed. If that had happened on any airline I worked for it would mean instant dismissal. Certainly our Cabin managers had the authority to move passengers (upgrade if you like) but no money would change hands.  Most did not do it for fear of allegations of favouritism. 

1 hour ago, markeewan said:

They won't know what you paid and neither will the flight attendants.

The same as when you purchase an economy ticket and then upgrade with points. It is completely oblivious to frontline staff what you paid and you get exactly the same service as a full fare passenger.

I always used to think that you would get a secondary service using the upgrade facilities, but it is not the case, in my experience.

Not true that they oblivious. I was once in a paid business class seat on a flight from Beijing to Vancouver on Air Canada. The flight attendant came to my seat with a glass of wine when we hadn't even taken off yet and I asked why the special attention (no one else was offered this). She told me that I was the only person in the section that had paid for their ticket. All others were on points & points upgrades.

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

I think this is also a big part of the problem. No one in their right mind would PAY to fly business in Thai Airways. You would have to be crazy or a fool to do so.

Everyone you see on Thai in Business or First (myself included) is there on points upgrades or are flying on the Thai family discount. And it’s that section where most airlines make their money.

Thai Business class and First class is so completely unpredictable (frequent aircraft changes) that no one in he know would pay for it.

One thing Thai do have is the most generous frequent flyer program I have ever known. I can always get business or first class flights whenever I want them....this can only possibly be because they are empty because no one is paying for them.

I think this is a huge part of their problem. No one willing to pay for the seats that are the ones that traditionally make airlines profitable.

Now you know where all your money goes Thailand, and all those inactive posts. Sack the board and get some business people who know how to run a business.  When you fly into Swampy and see all the Thai aircraft on the ground, that tells you everything.

We used to fly Thai Airways to Singapore quite a lot. Service deteriorated and flights were more often than not late. Now we fly Scoot. Cheap and cheerful, but how much damage can they do to you in 2 hours 20 mins. If your gagging for a drink or snack on board you can still buy it if you want to.

1 hour ago, wisperone said:

Why don't they hire a airline executive who has turned airlines around in the past. Oh yeah, that would be a loss of face to have to admit to needing outside help. 

Fierce false pride. They would probably rather allow the entire airline to fail rather than bringing in a foreigner - and especially a nasty farang 

Fierce false pride. They would probably rather allow the entire airline to fail rather than bringing in a foreigner - and especially a nasty farang 

A foreigner who had the business skills wouldn’t be allowed to make structural changes ! So anyone with any decency would never accept a position

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived