Thai Airways faces more bad news with bigger losses in Q2

webfact

3 hours ago, owenm said:

And when my Royal Orchid card was cancelled due to inactivity, only because many cheaper seats now have no accrued points.. 

I was getting 30kg baggage free, and an additional 10kg for Royal Orchid membership, so 40 kg free.. Now only a measly 20kg and at double the price of AA even when checking in 30kg baggage. 

Really...who needs 40 kg of baggage?????

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sean60 said:

The problem of Thai Airways is not only the old carriers. It is declining tourist.

The decline in tourism is due to few things:

1- strong Baht 

2- High prices for coming to Thailand. Take the cost for flying to Koh Samui from Bkk. It cost between 5 to 6000 Thai Baht per person one way. This killing tourism!

3- constant Change of regulations and requirements. The immigration office and its laws is driving people off from Thailand. There is no consistency in what the government dose.

Bkk to Koh Samui.  Bandit airways have got that route completely tied up.

The problem is the Government will keep throwing money at THAI as it would be a major loss of face for it to go under. And they try to get the money back by increasing fares. They need new planes but 16 at a time, whatever it is? A steady programme of maintenance, renovation and eventual replacement is the way that an airline should be run but this needs to be done from the start. The THAI way seems to be to run the planes into the ground (not literally!) and then ask the Government to fund brand new ones, a business model that shouldn't be viable.

4 hours ago, bronzedude said:

I try to avoid taking Thai Airways as much as possible because my experiences have been well below average. I've taken it to Sapporo 3 of the last 4 years to go skiing. Only because it is the only direct flight from Swampy. I found that having frequent flier points only means junk emails. If another airlines were to create a direct flight, I would jump at the change. 

Air Asia fly direct from Don Muang to Sapporo. I have used them 3 times in the last year. Always half empty and have never paid more than £200 (8,000baht) return. No frills airline , so no in-flight entertainment.

32 minutes ago, JAG said:

In fairness, the Thai Website lists their management team as including one Squadron Leader, one Flight Lieutenant and one Lieutenant (doesn't specify if Army or Navy). Leaving aside the silly propensity for  clinging to the title of a junior rank, there don't appear to be any Air Force Generals. 

Mind you, they are probably all riding around for free up at the pointy end...

Will it put you at ease if i amend "Air force General"  to High echlon air force officer.

7 hours ago, BuckBee said:

they need concentrate on flights to india, all the rich indians flying into bkk on free visa exempt will turn the airlines profits around 4th quarter lol .

Why would Indians prefer Thai over Jet Air? Jet are far cheaper and the food is fantastic.

I love Thai. Never had any problems booking on their website. Flew premium economy recently to my home country. Could recede my seat to a full lie down bed. Food was great, service also excellent. More expensive than their normal tickets, but not as expensive as business class. I think their regular economy class is alright too, better than the budget airlines, decent seat space and you dont have to buy everything like in the budget airlines. 

Used to fly TG F frequently from FRA and MUC( when they still offered the 744 from there) . Got worse and worse. On the nightflight back the FA seriously asked my why I wanna eat at 1am and that I better should sleep.????There‘s a reasons why TG offers nearly year-round cheap fares from Europe now . 

They used to be great in terms of hospitality and the hard product was ok. Prefer to take the Q-Suites with QR now. Overall better experience and I save money ????

19 minutes ago, playyer said:

I love Thai. Never had any problems booking on their website. Flew premium economy recently to my home country. Could recede my seat to a full lie down bed. Food was great, service also excellent. More expensive than their normal tickets, but not as expensive as business class. I think their regular economy class is alright too, better than the budget airlines, decent seat space and you dont have to buy everything like in the budget airlines. 

great info just checked  for flight to oz only 13 k with tax I need a hip replacement so sitting for 9 hours not an option , how tall are you ?

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

Not unexpected …. a friend flew in on Friday night from Australia and told me it was a horrible trip.

Old plane from Brisbane, I think he said it was a 747,  also a box under the seat in front prevented him from putting his legs straight under.  He said the food was terrible, and when he got to Swappy the que's were horrendous … apparently it was around 1 1/2 - 2 hrs before he got through immigration.

Thai airways needs an axe ….it's carrying far too many freeloaders within management especially.  

Chop 50% of the staff and cut the overheads …..  quickly,  and you may just survive.

I've never had any problem with them... Well I fly Thai smile which is owned and operated by them but the food has always been excellent and the staff friendly.

Immigration lines (at least in the airports I've gone through) are the same for all airlines... Specific airlines don't have their own private immigrations queues.

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

Not unexpected …. a friend flew in on Friday night from Australia and told me it was a horrible trip.

Old plane from Brisbane, I think he said it was a 747,  also a box under the seat in front prevented him from putting his legs straight under.  He said the food was terrible, and when he got to Swappy the que's were horrendous … apparently it was around 1 1/2 - 2 hrs before he got through immigration.

Thai airways needs an axe ….it's carrying far too many freeloaders within management especially.  

Chop 50% of the staff and cut the overheads …..  quickly,  and you may just survive.

Thai air can do nothing agout the immergration que"s  another department 

but admid thai air is getting less and less satisfactory traveling. old 

4 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Don't bring actual, factual experience into the discussion - the Thai bashers/cheap charlies who never actually fly anywhere will hate you for this.

Well the fact from my point of view is that I have never had a bad flight with Thai,last time I used them was BBK-ZRH Dec 2017, they were fine. I shall be using them to fly back to Thailand next month, so we shall see what they are like. They had a very competitive one way fare, LHR-BKK.

Their marketing is a bit strange sometimes, searches often come up with wildly un-competitive economy class fares, so high that people may be put off searching for them specifically again whilst trying to find the best flight, other times their fare may be not the cheapest but reasonable, they need to fix that......

2 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Will it put you at ease if i amend "Air force General"  to High echlon air force officer.

No, it doesn't bother me. The point I was making is that - officially at least - the senior management posts are not occupied by retired senior air force officers. However, I'm sure that many have, exercise, and enjoy the benefits of "influence".

20190101_023116.thumb.jpg.f6c9b2a92b2d24987742974f315123ce.jpgI've recently flown to Thailand using both Thai and Qantas. 

Thai wins hands down. Qantas has terrible scowling staff who wait over two hours to robotically feed you a single meal. 'Breakfast' was an inedible pastry in a box that resembled diseased female genitalia. See above. 

Thai isn't perfect but it's streets ahead of Qantas. 

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

It was probably the same broken 777-200 I took a few weeks back. The most idiotic thing ever was to black out the cabin on a flight during the day and very unlikely to have any long haul passengers. 

Never again, I'll rather endure Don Muang and use Air Asia. That said the green curry they had was surprisingly good.

4 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

My wife just came back from EU with Thai Airways. 

She said it was the most terrible food ever. 

The plane was old and loud and the toilets dirty, not cleaned during the flight. 

Never again with her "home" airline. 

and some on here say i'm wrong ….  lol ,  thanks.

18 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Never again, I'll rather endure Don Muang and use Air Asia. That said the green curry they had was surprisingly good.

Unless you're broke, I don't believe that for a minute. Air Asia and DMK over Thai?

8 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Flew to Munich in April. My options were Thai Airways direct for about 40,000 baht, or Etihad via Abu Dhabi for 25,000 baht and one hour longer.

Read somewhere that a direct flight was cheaper for the airlines to run as opposed to a stop over . So why are direct flights dearer ? 

1 minute ago, dbrenn said:

Unless you're broke, I don't believe that for a minute. Air Asia and DMK over Thai?

Yes. I usually fly business but the flight was full, even then, the biz class seats are the old type that only partially reclines, not really worth it. Also should mention the cattle class 777 had the type of seats designed not to fit any person in existence, torture. Other airlines got rid of those over a decade ago.

Daughter later flew AA back to DMK where we picked her up. She said that one was ok. Parking at DMK is a complete biaaatsch though.

Archived