British PM Johnson to meet Ireland's Varadkar over Brexit: report

webfact

British PM Johnson to meet Ireland's Varadkar over Brexit: report

2019-08-11T091609Z_1_LYNXNPEF7A0AX_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson visits the Fusion Energy Research Centre at the Fulham Science Centre in Oxfordshire, Britain August 8, 2019. Julian Simmonds/Pool via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has accepted an offer to meet Irish leader Leo Varadkar to discuss Brexit and the Northern Irish backstop, the Sunday Telegraph said citing UK government sources.

"The UK has accepted Varadkar's offer to meet and dates are being discussed," a UK source told the newspaper.

Johnson has told the European Union there is no point in new talks on a withdrawal agreement unless negotiators are willing to drop the Northern Irish backstop agreed by his predecessor Theresa May.

The EU has said it is not prepared to reopen the divorce deal it agreed with May, which includes the backstop, an insurance policy to prevent the return to a hard border between the British province of Northern Ireland and EU-member Ireland.

May's agreement, rejected three times by the British parliament, says the United Kingdom will remain in a customs union "unless and until" alternative arrangements are found to avoid a hard border.

Johnson has said Britain will leave the EU on Oct. 31 with or without a deal. He has stepped up preparations to leave without a divorce agreement if Brussels refuses to renegotiate, prompting some lawmakers to suspect a no-deal Brexit is his goal.

The Telegraph said it was hoped a meeting between Johnson and Varadkar could take place before the G7 summit in France later in August.

(Reporting by Paul Sandle; Editing by Janet Lawrence)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-08-12

4 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Their WAG plot has failed. We are Leaving so Leo has better try make his own deal for Ireland and not the EU.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Nah, events have proved the uk cannot be trusted to honour any agreement they negotiate. 

Eire’s interests are supported by the only deal on offer.

I’m sure the Taoiseach will make that clear to boris.    

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

Varadkar needs to get real. His biggest trading partner by far is the UK.

Do not worry... the EU will help the the south mitigate the effect the best they can including building a border wall if necessary.

Big question is who is going to bail the UK out? 

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

Well.... and for UK it is the most important easyist way into EU

That sounds very Irish. in case you hadn't realised the UK want out of the EU not an easy way back in although that is exactly what the Irish backstop is for the EU presidents and breaking the union up of course.

8 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Give johnson a lesson in reality, Leo. 

He's in danger of needing one himself if he prattles on about a United Ireland.

Shame because up until then he had the moral high ground and was talking sensibly. 

If he threatens he'll alienated all the UK people behind balmy Boris.

Some sort of arrangement/deal will eventually be forged at the 11 hour that is acceptable to all sides (even if/when the UK does leave on 31st Oct) that might just cover things for a while till the final FTA is penned. What we are seeing now here is show-boating brinkmanship for the public's consumption on all sides, so the actors can claim toughness in a political sense ... pragmatism will win out eventually with face saving for all, so that everyone can claim victory in a way. There is far too much to lose on all sides and eventually the drama-rama from all will subside. I find it hard to believe that all sides in this will all be belligerent enough hit the nuclear option together just to spite everyone.

47 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Do not worry... the EU will help the the south mitigate the effect the best they can including building a border wall if necessary.

Big question is who is going to bail the UK out? 

I wouldn't want to count on the EU if the shit-hits-the-fan. Ask Greece, Italy ETC. EU help always comes at a price of doing as your told if it comes at all.

When Ireland were really in the crap in the financial crisis and their Tiger economy tanked who helped them out the most? Check who their PM at the time thanked for their help. It wasn't the EU.

28 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

That sounds very Irish. in case you hadn't realised the UK want out of the EU not an easy way back in although that is exactly what the Irish backstop is for the EU presidents and breaking the union up of course.

It's beginning to look like certain EU leader and country leader (no names Monsieur Napoleon) would love that. Break the UK, finally. The older wiser, more UK friendly, powerful leader is seeing her star wane.

Ireland need to take great care not to be the EU's sacrificial pawn.

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

It's beginning to look like certain EU leader and country leader (no names Monsieur Napoleon) would love that. Break the UK, finally. The older wiser, more UK friendly, powerful leader is seeing her star wane.

Ireland need to take great care not to be the EU's sacrificial pawn.

They can dream on it isn't going to happen, the union breaking up.

Of course Ireland are the Pawn, sadly many on here just can't see it.

34 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Not all the UK want out of the EU.

26 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

He's in danger of needing one himself if he prattles on about a United Ireland.

Shame because up until then he had the moral high ground and was talking sensibly. 

If he threatens he'll alienated all the UK people behind balmy Boris.

The Irish people have every right to wish for an end to the divide imposed by the british. 

Personally I feel the Taoiseach has been quite realistic and rational about the prospects of a united Eire.  

His recent speech highlighted his approach. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/a-united-ireland-would-be-a-different-state-leo-varadkar-warns-1.3978985?mode=amp

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The Irish people have every right to wish for an end to the divide imposed by the british. 

Personally I feel the Taoiseach has been quite realistic and rational about the prospects of a united Eire.  

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/a-united-ireland-would-be-a-different-state-leo-varadkar-warns-1.3978985?mode=amp

You signed it over and now and didn't want anything to do with it. Suddenly you want it back, as your EU masters are encouraging to break up the union. Again dream on.

13 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You signed it over and now and didn't want anything to do with it. Suddenly you want it back, as your EU masters are encouraging to break up the union. Again dream on.

You need to read up on history. 

You might also also want to read the article I posted as a link too, as you seem to have assumed it says what best suits your agenda. 

3 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Varadkar needs to get real. His biggest trading partner by far is the UK.

He only will not betray teh Good Friday Agreement. He is not English...

Just wait, till the GBP sinks forther ( already 1,0798 , lots of industries rush away to Eire and Continental EU, and  a lot if North-Irish want to join Eire.

Boris, the PM, who will bring the UK back to the Single Kingdom ( England) 

Just one in three people in Britain hopes Northern Ireland ... - Irish Times

https://www.irishtimes.com/.../just-one-in-three-people-in-britain-h...

3 apr. 2019 - New poll also finds that a similar number of British people think ... per cent) to want Northern Ireland to leave the UK and join the Republic than ...

Two-thirds of Irish would vote for united Ireland, poll says – POLITICO

https://www.politico.eu/.../election-two-thirds-of-irish-would-vote-...

26 mei 2019 - Views north and south of the border have been shifting due to Brexit. ... of leaving the United Kingdom and joining the Republic by referendum ...

Exit polls show that 77% of voters are in favour of 'United Ireland' | The ...

https://www.irishpost.com/.../exit-polls-show-77-voters-favour-uni...

25 mei 2019 - AN RTE exit poll has indicated that there would be strong support for a united Ireland among Iris... ... Such a move would see Northern Ireland leave the United Kingdom and join a union with its southern neighbour. ... the requirement for a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

31 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I only hope, they will NOT try to revive an local language "such as Irish being the first official language" 

In the Ukraine they made that mistake.

13 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Give johnson a lesson in reality, Leo. 

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Nah, events have proved the uk cannot be trusted to honour any agreement they negotiate. 

Eire’s interests are supported by the only deal on offer.

I’m sure the Taoiseach will make that clear to boris.    

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I notice that you did not capitalise Johnson, UK, Boris, British.

Is this coincidence, or are you just being childish?

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

And you seem to have forgotten that the Irish people voted to not accept the Lisbon Treaty, however this was not acceptable to your colonial master in Brussels, who then ordered the I.R. to vote again until the acceptable decision was achieved. This I beleive has been the E.U. ploy from 2016, in the hope that The British people could also be similarly bullied into changing their minds. How wrong they have proven to be.

Isn't that ironic?

Especially the Brexiteers are losing so many tears about the "EU-dictatorship", (l.Gravy - # 20), but if/when the Irish would like to escape the "British/English dictatorship"

[quote]......... Suddenly you want it back, as your EU masters are encouraging to break up the union. Again dream on.[/quote]

the EU is criminal, wants to "break up the Union". :cheesy:

2 minutes ago, nontabury said:

And you seem to have forgotten that the Irish people voted to not accept the Lisbon Treaty, however this was not acceptable to your colonial master in Brussels, who then ordered the I.R. to vote again until the acceptable decision was achieved. This I beleive has been the E.U. ploy from 2016, in the hope that The British people could also be similarly bullied into changing their minds. How wrong they have proven to be.

While your brexiteer propaganda spin on the above is nonsense, tell me again, what was the result of Eire’s second vote?

Percentages please...

Archived