Busted! Thai man bought nearly 100 vehicles on HP then pawned them

webfact

Busted! Thai man bought nearly 100 vehicles on HP then pawned them

4pm.jpg

Thai caption: Con... almost 100 vehicles

Crime Suppression Division police announced the arrest of a 23 year old Nakorn Pathom man on a warrant for fraud. 

Aphisit came to the attention of police after a complaint from a Facebook user in Nakorn Pathom last year. 

The user was selling a motorcycle as he was unable to keep up with the installments. He met Aphisit who agreed to buy the bike and continue with the payments. 

Several months later the finance company contacted the original owner to say that he was five months behind. 

Aphisit had pawned the bike and spent the money on himself. 

He has been charged with similar offences concerning almost 100 vehicles that he pawned for 5,000 baht a time. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-12

9 hours ago, Vacuum said:

How could he do this without the green book?

People need engines and other parts. Getting such a vehicle for 5 K is more than cheap, green book, or not.

Even a set of four tires with nice rims can be worth 5 K. 

Getting someone to just take over the payments is a common way to sell vehicles in Thailand and all the main sellers will accommodate it - off the top of my head I think the fee is 3,500baht to change the name ? Maybe wrong amount  but something like that. Saves going through the pain of endless time wasters coming round to make you stupid offers.

But before handing over the vehicle get the buyer into the car loan providers office and get the paperwork done. 

10 minutes ago, YTP said:

Forgive me if I missed something, but what is HP?  

A little bit of review before publishing helps.

finance company

car loan providers

the above terms, taken from previous Posts are good clues!

A little bit of reading all the Posts would have helped make it clear the jest of it all!

p.s. Hire Purchase...

12 hours ago, YTP said:

Forgive me if I missed something, but what is HP?

11 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

4give my ignorance, but <deleted> is the "HP" in the headline of the OP?

14 minutes ago, justin case said:

so what does HP mean as not explained in article

HP Sauce.   Named after Houses of Parliament.   Tried it.   Don't like it. 

HNZ4207.jpg

so "selling" or transferring a vehicle to somebody that promises to make the payments is common in Thailand eh?  Why doesn't the seller just take the money and pay off the remaining loan balance, especially if they seem to sell the vehicle at 10 cents on the dollar?  Not a lot of cash to pocket at that fire sale price.  Maybe they get low balled on the used vehicle buyer end of things.  Just seems odd. 

15 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

so "selling" or transferring a vehicle to somebody that promises to make the payments is common in Thailand eh?  Why doesn't the seller just take the money and pay off the remaining loan balance, especially if they seem to sell the vehicle at 10 cents on the dollar? 

Because neither the seller nor the buyer actually has any money and the only way either of them can afford to own the vehicle is with borrowed money. Many people here have nothing but debts.

If they are only getting 10% of the value of the vehicle that would not be enough to pay off the loan anyway, besides which the whole point (for them) of selling the vehicle is to keep the money (which will probably be used to by another vehicle from someone else in the same situation).

Archived