U.S. Expatriates in Pattaya - Gatherings?

Thomas J

Since this forum is suppose to be about Pub Fun I was wondering if there are any regular groups from the USA that get together in Pattaya. One thing that is difficult about the retirement here is the lack of people to talk with from the USA. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"One thing that is difficult about the retirement here is the lack of people to talk with from the USA."

I don't mind the odd run in with yanks on streets, etc, but to seek out US expats seems like a reunion of family abuse survivors.... 

If you want to better understand why Americans are so angry, I suggest you check out the book, "Hate Inc." by Matt Taibbi or at least an analysis of this book.

Here is one sample of the author's thesis:

"Mass media has degenerated into not only a purveyor of gossip, conspiracy theories and salacious entertainment but, most ominously, a purveyor of hate." (Chris Hedges in Truth Dig).

Listen to MSNBC, CNN or Fox News and note the adjectives used to describe people and their opinions. Imagine listening to this every day month in and month out. People don't have to watch and listen but they do.

50 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

Listen to MSNBC, CNN or Fox News and note the adjectives used to describe people and their opinions. Imagine listening to this every day month in and month out.

And now you know why I've been watching more One America News. LOL.  I still watch Fox, especially "the five" when I can get the full program, but they only bash the lies from the other networks and make fun of the lying politicians, even the republican liers. 

22 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

I thought that's what the Pattaya Expats Club was for - https://pattayaexpatsclub.info/wp/

That is one of the two English speaking expat clubs in Pattaya - often referred to as the English club.  I belong to the other club, Pattaya City Expats Club http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/, which used to be referred to as the American club, but that is a misnomer as it also has a large number of attendees at their meetings from UK, Australia, and Canada as well as some attendees from many other countries. Its Governing Board has members from USA, UK, Australia, South Africa, and the Netherlands.

They meet on Sunday mornings at the Holiday Inn Pattaya's Executive Tower (located behind their Bay Tower which fronts Beach Road) and have several special interest groups formed by members that meet weekly or periodically outside of the regular meetings.

WHY ALL THE HATRED TOWARD AMERICANS?????????

I am American and 'proud to be American'..... I think it is nothing more than 'ENVY'...........

Just because some Americans elected Trump for 4 years..... That isn't the real America...... Mostly in America we are a 'well cared for' bunch and we are happy to be American.... I am a 'world traveler' and probably been to 'your' country (I have visited 89 countries of this world)..... And of all of them I haven't found one of them that i would give up my USA Citizenship for.......

countradictme if you like BUT please have some 'justification' that is more substantial than my comparison to visiting 89 different countries....... Forget any 'feeble minded' contestations....... Have some substantuation if you countradict me.....

Thanks...... Ken

8 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

If you want to better understand why Americans are so angry, I suggest you check out the book, "Hate Inc." by Matt Taibbi or at least an analysis of this book.

Here is one sample of the author's thesis:

"Mass media has degenerated into not only a purveyor of gossip, conspiracy theories and salacious entertainment but, most ominously, a purveyor of hate." (Chris Hedges in Truth Dig).

Listen to MSNBC, CNN or Fox News and note the adjectives used to describe people and their opinions. Imagine listening to this every day month in and month out. People don't have to watch and listen but they do.

Sadly, this is so true.   It's like a pack of rabid dogs seizing on any scrap of any utterance the least bit provocative--or even not provocative--or any opinion not totally in line with what is politically correct at the moment or in agreement with this conservative group or that liberal group and then tearing it to shreds.   So, it's an environment where poor Scarlett Johansson makes a statement that she would like to be able to play any part that interests her as an actor--and be crucified after a handful of people objected loudly on social media and then it's blown up on all the news outlets with 24 long hours to fill.  How dare her want to play a tree!    

All these famous people must be getting so tired of "walking back" statements they made that someone, somewhere found something to object to. 

Famous actor person X:  "It's a beautiful day today, isn't it?"

Someone on Twitter"  "X made a very insensitive comment on the state of the weather today, completely ignoring the climate change crisis, not to mention all the migrant children locked up in sweltering cages. It wasn't a beautiful day for THEM locked up in record temperatures!  Apparently X is so rich and in his own spoiled, pampered world that he cares nothing for anyone but himself.  If he's so interested in the weather, why isn't he doing more to call attention to climate change, and the migrants' problems, too?

News media after a number of garbled and incorrect tweets: 

X finds himself in hot water today with a very controversial statement he made that appeared to blame migrants for the world's climate change problems.  X has since walked back his comment and stated that it was taken out of context and he certainly did not mean to offend anyone.  His apology did not appear to be sincere enough for some, who expressed outrage on social media  for his weak, uncaring, response, and he has since been fired from the upcoming film he was slated to star in, ironically the climate change disaster flick, 'Inferno in the Sky'.  

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Why would you move all the way to Pattaya just to hang out with the same people you could hang out with back home? ????

When I run into the occasional US citizen, it is mostly the conversation that I enjoy. The common language, slang, idioms, and historical knowledge. Don't need much or often, but after months of nothing but Thai and broken English, it is refreshing.

2 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

I am American and 'proud to be American'..... I think it is nothing more than 'ENVY'...........

Just because some Americans elected Trump for 4 years..... That isn't the real America...... Mostly in America we are a 'well cared for' bunch and we are happy to be American.... I am a 'world traveler' and probably been to 'your' country (I have visited 89 countries of this world)..... And of all of them I haven't found one of them that i would give up my USA Citizenship for.......

countradictme if you like BUT please have some 'justification' that is more substantial than my comparison to visiting 89 different countries....... Forget any 'feeble minded' contestations....... Have some substantuation if you countradict me.....

Thanks...... Ken

Are you sure 4 years?

2 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

Thanks...... Ken

I think your comments perfectly answers your first sentence.

I can assure you it is NOT envy-its a backlash to the arrogant  'we're the greatest' 'Murka, Yeah' mentality. Not everyone in the world needs group hugs and high 5s- they tend to be more secure in their life and rarely need counselling.

Why do Americans feel the need to share and instantly tell one the story of their life as well. 'Hi' I'm from California, that's in the US you know. Back home we eat cheeseburgers the size of horses and drink 3 beers (wow, do you think you're an alcoholic?) " WE DON'T CARE!!!

18 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

I don't know if I would use the word hatred but I certainly would say the world generally has huge misconceptions about the USA.  What people "believe" is what they "perceive".  That perception is shaped by the news media and internet.  The news media use to "report" news today they are propaganda arms that massage the message and even go so far as to tell the viewer/reader what to believe.  If you listened to many Europeans they think the USA is a lawless region where people strap on guns to protect themselves.  The truth is the majority of the homicides are concentrated in urban minority gang areas.  The USA does have 330 million people so yes we have more incidents of violence.  To hear the average European talk about Trump you would think he was elected by some radical fringe group.  Neither the European or US Media ever showcases the accomplishments.  Lowest unemployment in 50 years, lowest black, hispanic, asian, and woman unemployment rates in history.  Why?  First off most of the media is bias towards liberalism and second, a story that creates a rift between two opposing viewpoints gets far more viewership than complimenting one.  As to the fringe group electing Trump.  Attached is the map of the counties that voted for Trump over Clinton.  Unlike most other countries in the world we are comprised of a mosaic of ethnicities.  The major cities are predominately minority and hence beholden to the Democrats for government benefits.  The vast majority of the country is not deranged.  They are just tired of going to work every day to support those who choose not to support themselves. The red on the attached map are the counties that voted for Trump.  The blue areas are almost exclusively large urban areas comprised of large minority populations. 

Trump Votes.JPG

I don't know if I would use the word hatred but I certainly would say the world generally has huge misconceptions about the USA.  What people "believe" is what they "perceive".  That perception is shaped by the news media and internet.  The news media use to "report" news today they are propaganda arms that massage the message and even go so far as to tell the viewer/reader what to believe.  If you listened to many Europeans they think the USA is a lawless region where people strap on guns to protect themselves.  The truth is the majority of the homicides are concentrated in urban minority gang areas.  The USA does have 330 million people so yes we have more incidents of violence.  To hear the average European talk about Trump you would think he was elected by some radical fringe group.  Neither the European or US Media ever showcases the accomplishments.  Lowest unemployment in 50 years, lowest black, hispanic, asian, and woman unemployment rates in history.  Why?  First off most of the media is bias towards liberalism and second, a story that creates a rift between two opposing viewpoints gets far more viewership than complimenting one.  As to the fringe group electing Trump.  Attached is the map of the counties that voted for Trump over Clinton.  Unlike most other countries in the world we are comprised of a mosaic of ethnicities.  The major cities are predominately minority and hence beholden to the Democrats for government benefits.  The vast majority of the country is not deranged.  They are just tired of going to work every day to support those who choose not to support themselves. The red on the attached map are the counties that voted for Trump.  The blue areas are almost exclusively large urban areas comprised of large minority populations. 
1506756918_TrumpVotes.JPG.176b353c79da9debd161f6d49a810866.JPG
A sorry load of falsehoods, disingenuous distortions, and pro "trump" white nationalist propaganda. Maybe take that noise to a political topic?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I can assure you it is NOT envy-its a backlash to the arrogant  'we're the greatest' 'Murka, Yeah' mentality. Not everyone in the world needs group hugs and high 5s- they tend to be more secure in their life and rarely need counselling.

Why do Americans feel the need to share and instantly tell one the story of their life as well. 'Hi' I'm from California, that's in the US you know. Back home we eat cheeseburgers the size of horses and drink 3 beers (wow, do you think you're an alcoholic?) " WE DON'T CARE!!!
Americans do tend to be loud and pushing the narrative that the world revolves around them. But I assume some of them are good people.

Thanks...... Ken
Yeah I'm happy to be American but these days also deeply ashamed. Don’t be in denial about the dire state of division going on now. It's like a soft civil war and not always so soft as we saw in El Paso.

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Oh please, proud American from "New England" Boston ,Mass USA. You want to complain about us seeking out fellow Americans? How many Brit bars in Pattaya where you all hang out ? Restaurants?  (Palmers,ect) How many other  beer bars  where  Brits hang out. You don't even like to hang with other English speakers like Austrailians , New Zealanders (Americans) think your better  because as one Brit told me  "I speak the Queen's English"

Yes you have well known higher education schools like Oxford, Cambride  but we have Harvard, Yale. Because of the diversity the US was first or perfected many of the modern devices in the world so many think we are Number # 1  And s far as Trump he is blunt andarrogant but the stock market has been higher than it has ever been and unemployment for all races/people has been lowest in decades. He wants to build a border wall, either that or find another way to eep the flood of illegal immigrants from just coming across the border and demanding  schooling for their kids and family, free food (food stamps) drivers liscense and even vote now in local elections. My family on fathers side emmigrated from EU ,had to pass a citizenship test , now they just want to cross over and be given everything. Does Thailand let anyone just cross boder and stay/ do any other countries.

Oh and aren't you Brits proud of your homeland ? (Maybe not since Breixt mess) You used to brag that "The sun never sets on the British Flag " as you had so many colonies around the world.

47 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Trump Votes.JPG

No, no, it's not the media. As the previous poster said it's the smug self-regard, the overwhelming, mind numbing verbosity, the awful sense of humour, the history related through Hollywood (it's based on a true story - yes, of course it is) and the fact that Americans can't spell.

And rap music.

No, no, it's not the media. As the previous poster said it's the smug self-regard, the overwhelming, mind numbing verbosity, the awful sense of humour, the history related through Hollywood (it's based on a true story - yes, of course it is) and the fact that Americans can't spell.

And rap music.
The rap is a feature!

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

A sorry load of falsehoods, disingenuous distortions, and pro "trump" white nationalist propaganda. Maybe take that noise to a political topic?

JIngthing.  Not falsehoods  Perhaps you should LOOK up some Facts before calling something propaganda. 

https://ballotpedia.org/Pivot_Counties:_The_counties_that_voted_Obama-Obama-Trump_from_2008-2016?gclid=Cj0KCQjwv8nqBRDGARIsAHfR9wCF7th0Rq0HXbket9HCVGnecxIQGeWB0XrVFFyGdQF9TV6cmPTtH70aAh6TEALw_wcB

1 minute ago, Thomas J said:

It distorts reality and you know it. It's not about number of counties and you know it. Most of those counties are low population counties and you know it. It's used to FOOL people about the supposed popularity of "trump" and you know it. No need to bother me again with such games. He's one of the greatest propagandists in history and he has a core of loyal followers that will still follow him no matter what AND I KNOW IT. 

3 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Trump Votes.JPG

Conveniently left out of your narrative is the fact that Clinton won the popular vote by nearly 3 million votes. The majority of Americans preferred for her to be President, not Trump.   Your prettily-colored map looks perhaps convincing to the gullible with all those vast, empty counties in the flyover states painted bright red but, in reality, America has a President the majority of the voters did not want.

Archived