U.S. Expatriates in Pattaya - Gatherings?

Thomas J

20 minutes ago, watgate said:

Thomas J- A great and realistic assessment of the US. The liberals are fixated on Trump and their hatred and contempt for him are readily apparent. Even with the US media predominantly liberal and full of  left wing zealots who continually spread  lies and misinformation, thankfully  the American populace can discern the truth after sifting through all the distortions  and bias and slanting of the news. 

Are you sure about that? His hard core base is only about 30 to 35 percent. He's never had approval ratings about 50 percent and he never will because all he does is stoke his base with trolling and xenophobic race baiting red meat. It's sickening. That's not how a president is supposed to act. A president is supposed to try to be the president of ALL the people. Of course he can win again because of the structure of the electoral college.

You talk about lies? Are you freakin' serious?

https://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/

https://youtu.be/RYDh3Y66Ec4

This is what the "trump" people do. They take the main things they are accused of and know they're guilty of and to deflect they accuse the OTHER SIDE of the same thing. It's a classic "trump" tactic. Keep in mind he was mentored by one the most villainous characters in American history -- Roy Cohn. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, now I'm curious.

When these expat gatherings do take place and Americans abroad of very different views on the affairs of the day are put together, what's happening?

When I meet a random American there is usually (but not always) a "feeling out" for clues on this. Then you can decide to not engage with them at all, engage but avoid all mention of you know what to be polite, or get into a heated pointless debate.

But I don't have experience with organized GROUPS with lots of Americans abroad.

Of course there are self segregating groups where that wouldn't be an issue such as Democrats abroad and Republicans abroad. Also with some demographics the views are largely predictable such as Vietnam Veterans living abroad and gay Americans living abroad. 

I said on page one Americans just talk too much without saying anything another person would be remotely interested in.

Here we are on page 7.......

That's incredibly ignorant. Not about the thread. Obviously it's a train wreck. But that no Americans ever have anything interesting to say. Do you actually believe that?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 minutes ago, Traubert said:

I said on page one Americans just talk too much without saying anything another person would be remotely interested in.

Here we are on page 7.......

From a failing empire perhaps?  Complete with chip on shoulder?  ????

On 8/13/2019 at 7:57 PM, newnative said:

But, still, substantially more than what Trump got.

Totally agree that our choices for President from both parties have been poor, and for many years now.    

It is really the people's fault. EXACTLY, to the tee, what is happening is corporate media has just enough control over things like the debates and candidate coverage (good vs bad). In the end, the candidates corporate America wants to look good........... look good. 

And that is enough. With America somehow indoctrinated that they have got to wake up at 5am, get to work, send the kids to school, pay the mortgage, there is never any time left to do little things like think. Think about what candidate might be the best. Is it the one CNN and MSNBC are pushing down my throat? Oh, probably not. They just don't get that far. Still their fault though.

The people deserve what they are getting. And what they are getting is about as bad and as corporate as it gets in my estimation. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived