Immigration busy keeping Thailand safe with the "Smart Car"

webfact

6pm1.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na reported that Immigration chief Lt Gen Sompong Chingduang had ordered officers under his command to keep Thailand's borders and airports safe. 

At the Sungei Kolok crossing into Malaysia immigration had deployed the "Smart Car" to help check people's credentials during the busy period of the Muslin Hari Raya Haji holiday (Eid Al Adha). 

The car is fitted out with devices to enhance immigration capabilities. 

44259.jpg

It appeared to be similar to the "Smart Van" that figured in the press a couple of weeks ago in another part of Thailand. 

1023998.jpg

Naew Na reported that immigration divisions were busy ensuring security at many places including Naratiwas, Satun, Hay Yai airport, the seafront and station in Prajuab Khiri Khan and Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok.

There were no reports of any arrests or problems in the story. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-12

2 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

What next??  Maybe a smart phone? 

Now don't be facetious BTB1977. This is cutting edge technology at it's best. In fact, I think the Thai immigration should invite other countries to share this state of the art technology. They could also offer supply of this smart car and training on how to use it.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Look very clever, doesn't it. But the very "brain" of the immigration is where they keep all the billions of copies foreigners have to submit every now and then. Computers simply can't beat a document with a stamp.

What's the point of employing a "smart car" to the borders? There are already immigration computer systems in place that's why they're immigration checkpoints! Unless this ridiculous idea speeds up processing at the borders (which can be dreadfully slow, mainly when entering the country, less so when leaving) then this makes zero sense whatsoever. Also, do these cars have the right to enter the neighboring country? probably not, as I don't think Malaysia or Myanmar would allow them in.

Naew Na reported that Immigration chief Lt Gen Sompong Chingduang had ordered officers under his command to keep Thailand's borders and airports safe. 

Erm ... so what were they doing prior to these new specific orders?

1023998_jpg_99370873b648b21b54b8cc15d9587d5e.jpg.1dfd62d8dfe9be767250f7b7281b64af.jpg

Not sure how the laptop is fixed, but it is in the most stupid place right in front of the dashboard air bag.  If the vehicle is involved in a front end crash and the air bag deployed, the passenger will most likely be decapitated.  SMART car!

Nothing new about these cars.  When doing my 90 day report in January, at Nakhon Pathom, there were 3 of them parked outside the office.

What is interesting is what is mounted on the roof behind the emergency light bar.  Its a tilt/pan/zoom CCTV camera which is connected to an on board computer that is linked to Immigration's main database and facial recognition system.

At a later date I spotted one of these cars parked outside a nearby food factory, which  employs a large number of migrant worker, just before the shift was about to end.   No doubt looking for workers exiting who may not be registered or have work permits.

20190122_124515-iv.jpg

20190122_124601-iv.jpg

20190122_124532-iv.jpg

41 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Nothing new about these cars.  When doing my 90 day report in January, at Nakhon Pathom, there were 3 of them parked outside the office.

What is interesting is what is mounted on the roof behind the emergency light bar.  Its a tilt/pan/zoom CCTV camera which is connected to an on board computer that is linked to Immigration's main database and facial recognition system.

At a later date I spotted one of these cars parked outside a nearby food factory, which  employs a large number of migrant worker, just before the shift was about to end.   No doubt looking for workers exiting who may not be registered or have work permits.

20190122_124532-iv.jpg

It looks like the flux capacitor from the back to the future delorean..

Thailand not only the country of smile but now trying hard to get the recognition to become a smart and fun country.. All those constant efforts efforts ending to the results of seeing most honests farangs entrepreneurs to fly away at soonest to avoid all deeper and constant immigration administration hassles

19 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Does someone in Immigration own a BMW franchise?

Here is what is used in Manchester England:

those little smart cars look so narak and innocent..

..intentionally so I suspect..

Until the fines turn up in the post.

On 8/12/2019 at 6:16 PM, 007 RED said:

CCTV camera which is connected to an on board computer that is linked to Immigration's main database and facial recognition system.

Won't work for us - we all look the same!

????????

A "smart car"?  Have they seen the technology in Emergency/Police vehicles in the U.K., Europe, Canada, and the U.S.A.?  For example,n in the U.K. they have vehicle registration devices which record, transmit, and receive information about cars, motorcycles, vans, trucks, etc.  If police recieve information showing outstanding fines, no licence available, stolen vehicle, no insurance on vehicle, etc., the driver is busted.  Not in Thailand's "smart cars".  For example, watch parts of Cops Car Workshop on YouTube.

'nuf sed.

On 8/12/2019 at 2:38 PM, lensta said:

Now don't be facetious BTB1977. This is cutting edge technology at it's best. In fact, I think the Thai immigration should invite other countries to share this state of the art technology. They could also offer supply of this smart car and training on how to use it.

Well, this is all old school stuff, back in Oz the police cars have had number plate recognition for nearly 10 years now, not to mention all your driving infringements, registration, addresses, criminal records and how many times you shit each day and there not BMW's !!!! ????

It would take me a <200$ investment and half a day to make any car smarter than theirs.
China is next door, so cheap to get any hardware needed.

It is all the same isn't it? I mean, they can't even program a efficient working TM app
(which should take less than a month to build knowing the insane large budgets they have).

But hey, Thais don't know all this and will be really proud on the RTP now.

Archived