Video: Drunk big biker mows down policeman at checkpoint - faces eight charges

webfact

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Rimmer said:

I am sure a good prosecutor could make a case that pointing a large 650cc motorbike at a person and gunning it in that persons direction it tantamount to premeditated murder.

...any half-decent defence lawyer would have a field day with that charge!

21 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Not sure if you read the article correctly?  the article noted the biker slow down or stopped rev his 650cc engine prior to hitting the officer, you do know in the west at least a vehicle is consider a weapon the reason the police blast the shit out of drivers who use their cars to try to run down people or police. Although a bike a human being can't defend against steel even a bike going at speed greater than walking!

Last year, my home State, a guy on a Mountain bike ran a red light intentionally and hit a pedestrian while he was crossing the street in the crosswalk clipped him slightly the guy lost his balance and fell cracked his head on the sidewalk and died!  Biker got manslaughter!  You don't need a gun!

So, no murder charges, then, just as the poster you responded to was suggesting there could not be.

20 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Let's lay out the map so to speak:

1. You have a checkpoint.
  2. You have motorcycle on the left side of the road.
  3. You have police all around.
  4. Drunk ahole on a motorbike runs down policeman.
  5. Not one cop gets on a motorbike to apprehend the drunk?

Not one?  In America the cop would have commandeered the truck to chase him down.  They seriously wait for a roadblock ahead when one alert cop could have knocked him off the bike?

Amazing Thailand

Seriously?  You think that commandeering the truck would have been an effective way to chase a bike through Bangkok traffic?  Geez...

20 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Let's lay out the map so to speak:

1. You have a checkpoint.
  2. You have motorcycle on the left side of the road.
  3. You have police all around.
  4. Drunk ahole on a motorbike runs down policeman.
  5. Not one cop gets on a motorbike to apprehend the drunk?

Not one?  In America the cop would have commandeered the truck to chase him down.  They seriously wait for a roadblock ahead when one alert cop could have knocked him off the bike?

Amazing Thailand

Let's lay out the real map, so to speak. 

You're having a bash at the officers who went to the aid of their colleague instead of jumping on a bike to chase the rider (that they knew was heading to another checkpoint) all in the just nine seconds that the CCTV runs after the contact?  Nine seconds? 

Amazing Thaivisa poster logic.

17 hours ago, JMSIII said:

Vehicular manslaughter if the officer dies.  Assault with a deadly weapon if he lives.  His intent is shown by him doing a hit and run, which should be another charge....

"Vehicular manslaughter if the officer dies.  Assault with a deadly weapon if he lives".

Aren't those offences covered by US statutes?  This happened in Thailand, US law does not apply here.

6 hours ago, Jadam said:

Is there even such a thing as attempted manslaughter?  Seems like an oxymoron.

I did a Google search and came up with this. I think I got my worms mixed up. Perhaps I should have written criminally negligent

https://www.quora.com/What-does-attempted-manslaughter-mean-What-are-some-examples

There is no such thing.

Manslaughter can either be voluntary or involuntary.

Voluntary Manslaughter is also “third degree murder” or killing in the heat of passion with reasonable provocation such as walking in on your spouse in bed with someone else. It’s murder with diminished culpability.

Involuntary manslaughter can be in two kinds constructive or criminally negligent. Constructive is when you engage in a willfully harmful act that could cause death—such as a bar fight that ends up with someone who is hit to hard and dies.

Criminally negligent manslaughter is when you through negligence or “willful blindness” do something that results in a death—such as running a read light and hitting someone. In many places there is “vehicular manslaughter” to handle cases involving cars and especially drunk driving.

19 hours ago, tifino said:

very common outcome down over the Border... My earliest recall was another RAAFie on his Norton (superbikes of the pre-80s) He was travelloing sooo quickly, that he'd past thru before being able to react quickly enough to give any impression he was even trying to slow down... (that was the 1981 case)

soon after that, an old Chinese couple in a Merc on the old highway Nth of Butterworth...same outcome. 

Now if the BIB were armed as well as the Malays!!!  (who even had the use of F1 submachineguns back then)

What,on earth,does your post have to do with Thailand-please change your over used and hackneyed script-and that goes for a few of your "whatabout" buddies too!

Back to the OP -jail time for the mug lair.

The police started to do it up in Ubon-they even chucked my favourite coffee shop proprietor (notorious drunk driver) into pinchgut-he came out  a much chastened man after a month.

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

What,on earth,does your post have to do with Thailand-please change your over used and hackneyed script-and that goes for a few of your "whatabout" buddies too!

Back to the OP -jail time for the mug lair.

The police started to do it up in Ubon-they even chucked my favourite coffee shop proprietor (notorious drunk driver) into pinchgut-he came out  a much chastened man after a month.

well, readers have observed via the video, the rider was chucking a wobbly on his bike; so we'll have to wait and see if he was simply inept? or was he deliberately weaving??

Yes you saw I was responding to the relative observations of similar incidents over the border; where a series of unfortunate events results in injuries etc. Whether by impact, or by the thump of a bullet, or 100.

The other angle was that there are other means available to the BiB to cut a speeder down to size.

The F1 is one of them...  and boss BiB doesn't have to be a silly standing target in the middle of the road to use it.

The big bikes have now added to the risks we take everyday on the roads here. Thai's are not really ready for powerful machines as the mindset here is "me first" & 'look at me", hence flashy fast bikes are going to cause carnage on the roads for many that drive too fast & lose control. Driving whilst drunk will also speed up these "fast bike riders" demise, but they most certainly will take others with them. It scares the shit out of me when they roar past ....... the roads & infrastructure do not lend themselves to fast riding or driving. Road signs are invariably uninformative, ignored & unlit at night, road layouts are too complicated & not user friendly at all as most roads are badly in need of repair, coupled with the fact driving along roads with no lights at night or just ignoring roadwork signs by driving through them, traveling the wrong way against the traffic etc etc just adds to the mayhem on the roads. These big bikes are becoming too popular & easily affordable to most young Thai's now & any new laws will never catch up with present laws to control it .......... even though they are talking about new tests for super bikes (don't hold your breath). It'll never happen as nothing ever does here. It's a certainty that the road toll will increase with the arrival of these fast machines ........ my only hope is that I'll be able to dodge all these idiots on bikes weaving in & out of traffic, but each time I venture out it's a nightmare, especially at peak periods when everyone is in a hurry. However, going out these days in Pattaya is so congested that it forces me to stay close to home now & safer too! Drive safely folks. 

On 8/12/2019 at 3:00 PM, mok199 said:

These aggressive'' harassment officers'' at check points ( which have nothing to do with the rule of law, its all about the cash), are out of control.....Stand down a bit..if you were truly serious about enforcing the law and making this nation a better place, if you truly respected your badge....then things may change ,but many of us know who the real criminals are in Thailand..

Now you're blaming a poor cop who got hit by a mysterious biker which is pretty unfair. "If you truly respect your badge?"

Are you kidding? Do you know how much money they make? 

How many dishonest cops are there in other countries? Oh, you don't know it? Of course not, because it's not that obvious.  

There are not too many good jobs in this country. And not all are born rich. I wish my daddy would have been a billionaire.

14 hours ago, Jadam said:

Another blow for "big" bikes, or support for tougher laws.  Good job it wasn't a furang on that bike.

We don't need blows for bigger bikes. Considering how many of them you see on the road, not too many accidents happen.

Of course does that change when you buy your 13-year-old son a Superbike and let him ride.

Some people are plain stupid, and there's no medication for ( against) it. 

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

So, no murder charges, then, just as the poster you responded to was suggesting there could not be.

We are talking about the States where I come from, it isn't as easy as we want it to be when it comes to the law and murder charges tough to make it stick this was the particular case in this situation as to why the prosecutor department decided to try the individual for manslaughter after the man died although the biker admitted he ran the light on purpose some kind of game they play in the States he said the pedestrian crosswalk was clear but as he got closure at the speed he was going the man stepped off and he was trapped and did his best to avoid but still clipped him and the guy lost his balance.

On 8/12/2019 at 1:21 PM, Rimmer said:

I am sure a good prosecutor could make a case that pointing a large 650cc motorbike at a person and gunning it in that persons direction it tantamount to premeditated murder.

In the USA pointing a vehicle at any person and starting to move is considered attempted vehicular homicide and is prosecuted strenuously. Even some cops have faced this charge.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 1:21 PM, Rimmer said:

id see that as   a way to avoid a  fine, dont see how it could be premeditated, probably had no intent to hit the guy at all.

On 8/12/2019 at 6:58 AM, smedly said:

Thailand does not understand the fundamentals of law enforcement and punishment 

Those that break the law (including moving traffic laws) run a risk reward assessment

Risk - How likely am I to get caught and if I am caught - what penalty will I face.

Reward - (does not always apply to moving traffic laws) proceeds of the crime

Until Thailand gets this fundamental understanding then nothing will improve 

Here is a thought - Suppose from tomorrow the UK announced that police would no longer enforce the road traffic act effectively allowing motorists to do exactly what they wanted without the risk of prosecution - what would happen ?

- In a very short time we would have the same carnage on UK roads as we have in Thailand right now.....maybe even worse, yes some sensible people would still want to comply with the law because they know it is the right thing - but many wouldn't and it would get worse over time

I dont want Thailand to be like the UK. The UK police do not investigate most crimes and have only a 7% success rate in solving crimes. They are however,  excellent at harassing drivers, black people and recreational drug users. They are ineffective in policing burgalary, knife crime, rape  street violence etc. The have made great strides in suppressing debate through application of so called hate crime laws. Recently in a Gay outreach support initiative they used rainbow laces to show their solidarity with homosexuals! Pathetic! How can somebody suggest the Thai police do not enforce traffic laws when the article is about a police VCP?

Archived