Any issues at airport entering with non o?

There have been plenty of reports of problems coming into Thailand by air with more than 1 tourist visa in passport, I was wondering if anyone has or has heard of any problems entering with a non o multi entry visa based on marriage?(I have 3 in my current passport).

There is currently no problem. If immigration decide in the future that Non O visas (without extensions) are only supposed to be for short term visitors, maybe there will be a problem. That is not an issue for today. A multiple Non O to stay long periods in Thailand is a proper visa.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ozfarang said:

The only people having problems entering Thailand are people trying to stay long term in Thailand on Tourist visas. Every one else who has the appropriate visa has no problems, myself included. Been coming to Thailand for 40 years and now live here and never had a problem with Immigration.

IOs worry that people who stay in Thailand long term on tourist visas work illegally. They could have the same worries about people on multiple non-o visas. An IO would probably not consider a multiple non-o to be appropriate to stay in Thailand all year long.

If the IOs continue to do what they are currently doing, it's probably just a matter of time until we hear of people with multiple non-o visas being denied for having been in Thailand too long and that they should get a one year extension in an immigration office if they want to live in Thailand.

Currently we didn't have any such reports and you should be fine.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, RayHaas said:

I myself have a Non-O based on Child and been pulled aside by immigration when I entered by flight at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Came in there April, same VISA, woman didn't look twice at it, stamp, stamp and through.

You must have looked dodgy (probably overdressed) or just had bad luck.

Edited by BritManToo

10 minutes ago, RayHaas said:

I myself have a Non-O based on Child and been pulled aside by immigration when I entered by flight at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Immigration officer (female) went through my passport for 10 minutes. Puffing away and clearly upset without saying a word. As the queue grew behind me she called a supervisor and I was taken away. 

Was seated with an older much nicer immigration lady who asked me all sorts of questions such as: You work here? How you make your money to stay with your daughter? It was quite upsetting as I have the correct Visa and clearly not a tourist. Am not looking like a retired person as still in my early 40's. 

Only when I pulled out the medical records of my daughter suffering from Leukemia Cancer and is stationed at Chlua Hospital I was allowed to enter and no further questions were asked. Needless to say. I have since then avoided entering that airport like the plague although in my situation not entirely possible to stay away. Just hate flying in through Suvarnabhumi. Only ever take immigration queues with male officers. LOL

Suvarnabhumi seems far kinder to me than dmk. 

1 minute ago, metempsychotic said:

Suvarnabhumi seems far kinder to me than dmk. 

Arguably DMK may be perceived by the IOs as the "Cheap Charlies' airport" because of its focus on the less expensive airlines, and they act accordingly

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RayHaas said:

Immigration officer (female) went through my passport for 10 minutes. Puffing away and clearly upset without saying a word. As the queue grew behind me she called a supervisor and I was taken away. 

Was seated with an older much nicer immigration lady who asked me all sorts of questions such as: You work here? How you make your money to stay with your daughter? It was quite upsetting as I have the correct Visa and clearly not a tourist. Am not looking like a retired person as still in my early 40's. 

Only when I pulled out the medical records of my daughter suffering from Leukemia Cancer and is stationed at Chlua Hospital I was allowed to enter and no further questions were asked. Needless to say. I have since then avoided entering that airport like the plague although in my situation not entirely possible to stay away. Just hate flying in through Suvarnabhumi. Only ever take immigration queues with male officers. LOL

They have some kind of huff and puff syndrome at Suvarnabhumi, the female officers. Wife tries to explain they have low salary but they have power, so they try to compensate the former with the latter. Last time I came to Swampy with wife and kid, the Tomboy in charge did not huff and puff but tried to look stern, cool and whatever. My wife commented that they do the same in my country, look tough, ask stupid questions. True. Still they dont huff and puff in my country.

I live and work in Laos and like yourself have a ME Non-O based on Marriage, and for the previous ten years (so maybe approximately 150 entries) and I have never had an issue. On the last two occasions in June and July I was through Thai Immigration at Suvarnabhumpi in less than 5 minutes and the IOs were too busy talking to their co-worker to take notice of me. As others have stated, you have a valid visa so there should not be a problem

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

The key here is that you do it correctly and don't try to game the system. My hat's off to you.

Even a 60-days TR Visa from your country is a correct Visa,and you can extend it 30 days at any local immigration office,without any problem what so ever. Even a border run on top of that is totally ok. What immigration doesn't like is to many 30 days Visa exempt in a row and border runs on top of that.

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

There is currently no problem. If immigration decide in the future that Non O visas (without extensions) are only supposed to be for short term visitors, maybe there will be a problem. That is not an issue for today. A multiple Non O to stay long periods in Thailand is a proper visa.

Agreed - does anyone know the technical reason why you have to leave the country every 90 days on a non-imm O ME visa ? When I politely asked the IO at Myanmar he shrugged his shoulders (I took that as a don't know) - I mean you have satisfied the head honchos you are reliable enough to get a year long visa, just wondered the actual reason for the 90 day in and out ?

10 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Agreed - does anyone know the technical reason why you have to leave the country every 90 days on a non-imm O ME visa ? When I politely asked the IO at Myanmar he shrugged his shoulders (I took that as a don't know) - I mean you have satisfied the head honchos you are reliable enough to get a year long visa, just wondered the actual reason for the 90 day in and out ?

You don't have to leave, just get an extension

1 hour ago, Handsome Gardener said:

You do not have to leave after 90 days. However, if you are not going to leave, you need to apply for an extension of stay, satisfying the requirements Immigration have set for it. Short of that, they want to see you, at least, pass through border immigration so they have verify that you meet the requirements for a new permission to stay.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

You do not have to leave after 90 days. However, if you are not going to leave, you need to apply for an extension of stay, satisfying the requirements Immigration have set for it. Short of that, they want to see you, at least, pass through border immigration so they have verify that you meet the requirements for a new permission to stay.

OK but after the extension (which I would have thought by default would wind up the IO even more) you have to leave. Infact when the London Embassy last issued mine as she handed it over she said to me remember you have to leave Thailand every 90 days.

When you are doing a Myanmar out/in, you don't even see an immigration officer let alone prove you meet any requirements.

Ps presumably you can't do an extension after each 90 period right ?

Edited by Handsome Gardener
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

OK but after the extension (which I would have thought by default would wind up the IO even more) you have to leave. Infact when the London Embassy last issued mine as she handed it over she said to me remember you have to leave Thailand every 90 days.

When you are doing a Myanmar out/in, you don't even see an immigration officer let alone prove you meet any requirements.

You can extend the Non-immigrant 0 one year after 60 days. But you have to meet the requirements. Then you can leave the country if you want with a re-entry permit stamped in your passport.

12 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Shrug might suggest a rank and file Immigration Officer has no idea why, at whatever point in the past, Thai government deciders decided on 90 days as the permission to stay period.  Could have been 120, or 45..... but 90 days with option to extend if certain, elevated conditions are met, with periodic re-screening, felt right to them.  An intermediate length of time between baseline tourist and the tightly held holy grail - permanent residency. 

There's no book of knowledge from an all knowing entity.  It's just people, sat around a conference table coming up with this stuff, forwarding for higher review and approval, then reduced to writing to become "The Law" and/or current policy.  John Q civil servant at the border isn't privy to the deliberation, and may not even care - it is what it is 'cause it says so in black and white right there <points to page>.   Some might salute the flag every morning and feel proud to be soldiers on the front lines of their country's national security.  Some might not be so high-minded, and simply punch the time clock for a government pension in their distant future.  As always, there's a middle ground. 

About the same with government employees/police/military folks in my country. 

10 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Shrug might suggest a rank and file Immigration Officer has no idea why, at whatever point in the past, Thai government deciders decided on 90 days as the permission to stay period.  Could have been 120, or 45..... but 90 days with option to extend if certain, elevated conditions are met, with periodic re-screening, felt right to them.  An intermediate length of time between baseline tourist and the tightly held holy grail - permanent residency. 

There's no book of knowledge from an all knowing entity.  It's just people, sat around a conference table coming up with this stuff, forwarding for higher review and approval, then reduced to writing to become "The Law" and/or current policy.  John Q civil servant at the border isn't privy to the deliberation, and may not even care - it is what it is 'cause it says so in black and white right there <points to page>.   Some might salute the flag every morning and feel proud to be soldiers on the front lines of their country's national security.  Some might not be so high-minded, and simply punch the time clock for a government pension in their distant future.  As always, there's a middle ground. 

About the same with government employees/police/military folks in my country. 

I guess the reason people chooses the Non-immigrant 0 ME, must be the requirements. They have enough money for 90 days, but not for a 1 year extension.

• Thanks 1

I guess the reason people chooses the Non-immigrant 0 ME, must be the requirements. They have enough money for 90 days, but not for a 1 year extension.

Definitely not. The reason is that i can’t get an extension ,as my wife has permanent residency in Germany and likes to stay and work in Germany. I stay in Thailand no longer as 90 days per entry and have due my Consultancy work to leave Thailand very often. We both have a very high salary, so money is not the issue

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, wobalt said:

Definitely not. The reason is that i can’t get an extension ,as my wife has permanent residency in Germany and likes to stay and work in Germany. I stay in Thailand no longer as 90 days per entry and have due my Consultancy work to leave Thailand very often. We both have a very high salary, so money is not the issue

I was talking about people in general, and many of them don't meet the requirements for 1 year extensions. Either not married or below 50 years old. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wobalt said:

You should not generalize then . Most people who apply for such av visa are married .

You don't seem to know how to read: MANY FARANGS WHO APPLY FOR 90 DAYS NON-IMM O MULTIPLE ENTRY VISA DON'T MEET THE REQUIREMENTS FOR 1-YEAR EXTENSION. UNDERSTAND? THAT'S A FACT.