Brexit Party's Farage ridicules Harry and Meghan with jibe at UK royals - Guardian

snoop1130

19 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Who cares. All so called Royals are useless and not fitting in our times anymore. Wasted money. ????

Many would disagree with you not only in the UK but the commonwealth, so being Irish, your opinion doesn't really count does it, or your money.

On 8/12/2019 at 9:43 PM, ratcatcher said:

Come on Nigel old boy, you ought to know the Queen Mother is never referred to as Her Royal Highness. Shame on you sir.

I am going to have to disagree with you on this. She was always announced in the mess as Her Royal Highness the Queen Mother, on every St. Patrick's day she attended.

5 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I am going to have to disagree with you on this. She was always announced in the mess as Her Royal Highness the Queen Mother, on every St. Patrick's day she attended.

Odd that, given this:

• 6 February 1952 – 30 March 2002Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_titles_and_honours_of_Queen_Elizabeth_The_Queen_Mother

I’ve no experience of mess formalities, but if it’s anything like dining at halls, memories of much of what was said is rather ‘fuzzy’.

The passage of time and all that.

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I do find that rather odd, since she is/was a Queen and not a mere Princess, as Chomper correctly noted, the correct form of address would be Her Majesty the Queen / Ma'am, but St Patrick's Day, well anything can happen I suppose. Sláinte

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

I do find that rather odd, since she is/was a Queen and not a mere Princess, as Chomper correctly noted, the correct form of address would be Her Majesty the Queen / Ma'am, but St Patrick's Day, well anything can happen I suppose. Sláinte

I stand corrected and apologise. I have just been in contact with my army buddies and they did announce it as Her Majesty the Queen Mother. Obviously it was 30 years ago and I was always pisshed after the St. Patricks day parade.  ????

I do remember raising my glass for the 3 cheers.

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I stand corrected and apologise. I have just been in contact with my army buddies and they did announce it as Her Majesty the Queen Mother. Obviously it was 30 years ago and I was always pisshed after the St. Patricks day parade.  ????

I do remember raising my glass for the 3 cheers.

So I was right, the mess shares the same causes of fuzzy memories with dining at halls. And of course, we all share the passage of time. 

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So I was right, the mess shares the same causes of fuzzy memories with dining at halls. And of course, we all share the passage of time. 

"Your Majesty, Her Majesty, Your Majesty" is said to have been the correct protocol for HM's lady-in-waiting to announce who was on the end of a phone she was passing to the Queen whenever her mother called.

7 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Many would disagree with you not only in the UK but the commonwealth, so being Irish, your opinion doesn't really count does it, or your money.

Royals are left overs of former centuries. For what you need them? Why they have privileges? What is so special? Why feeding a rogue, uneducated boy as Harry, who was/is a junkie with an unacceptable behaviour? Now married to a so called actress. You might use another word. 

Wondering what you will find reasons for having them like expensive pets in a zoo. You better use the money after Brexit. You will need it. 

16 hours ago, Jip99 said:
16 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Does the fact that the Duchess of Sussex is mixed race have anything to do with Farage's dislike of her?

Surely not!

That sounds like like a racist question.

Really? In what way?

A valid question, I think, based upon Farage's words and actions in the past. From his days as a pupil at Dulwich College to his support for Trump telling black American senators to go back where they came from.

16 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Shouldn’t think so.....probably because she is odious.

On what do you base that remark; know her personally, do you?

Here in the UK she is actually very popular, a fact acknowledged by Republicans

OWEN JONES claimed Meghan Markle represents a "huge threat" to him and other activists campaigning for the end of the monarchy due to the Duchess of Sussex boosting the Royal Family's popularity.

Despite the online campaign from people who hate the thought of a 'darkie' marrying into the royal family.

15 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Really? In what way?

A valid question, I think, based upon Farage's words and actions in the past. From his days as a pupil at Dulwich College to his support for Trump telling black American senators to go back where they came from.

On what do you base that remark; know her personally, do you?

Here in the UK she is actually very popular, a fact acknowledged by Republicans

Despite the online campaign from people who hate the thought of a 'darkie' marrying into the royal family.

Neither do you know here.

You can't resist your racist agenda, can you.

... and NO... she is NOT popular in the UK  -  by a looooong way.

Is she not white ?

4 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

No.image.jpeg.a46ebaa166d745dfb84dcb61e47545a3.jpeg The Duchess of Sussex, Meagan Markle is of mixed race.

Aren’t we all ?

My Dad was from Nottingham.

My Mum was from Lincolnshire.

No cross-breeding in our family......... we all have 5 fingers and 5 toes (not webbed).

Now, both by second wife’s parents were from the same village in Norfolk..........need I say more.

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Neither do you know here.

Correct, I do not know here; wherever 'here' is.

I also do not know the Duchess of Sussex; so, unlike you, I refrain from making ignorant personal comments about her.

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

You can't resist your racist agenda, can you.

My racist agenda? What racist agenda?

Farage has a proven history of making racist comments; I challenge you to you find anything which justifies your accusation that I have a racist agenda.

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

... and NO... she is NOT popular in the UK  -  by a looooong way.

Not amongst a certain sector of the population; true.

But amongst the majority, as the article I linked to previously shows, she's popular even amongst republicans.

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Is she not white ?

I hate labelling people based upon race, but as society still insists on such labels she is of mixed race; black mother, white father.

Not that it should matter to anyone; but unfortunately a section of the population think differently; a section whose bigotry has, not for the first time, been fed by Farage's remarks.

10 minutes ago, damascase said:

...........53 countries in the Commonwealth, most of them shafted in the past by the UK. 

Just out of interest did Belgium ever colonise other countries, if they did were those countries ever "shafted"

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

Oh dear, does hurt so much? No answers? Just being upset? 

Well, you got your history and you live in times of Empire and "Splendid Isolation" but I'm living in the present and might have some good years to come. The times of "Rule Britannia " are over long time ago. But if you believe in fairy tales where Kings and Queens were protagonists...... well, then I let you go with it. 

The route of your beef with UK lies much closer to home.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:35 PM, snoop1130 said:

According to the Guardian, Farage ridiculed Harry’s remarks last month that the couple only wanted two children because of the environmental impact,

Having no children would be a better message to send. The world is overpopulated, the oceans are polluted because too many people keep putting plastic in it, too many people are destroying the rain forests so they can have soap etc etc etc.

Zero children is the best way to solve the problem.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

?

Belgium "colonised" the Congo and were very barbaric in their rule of it. Completely shafted the Congo.

Yes I know, I have read about the nice King Leopold. I was sick of people having a go at the Brits when they have history too. People in glass houses and all that.

On 8/12/2019 at 7:25 PM, Handsome Gardener said:

So give us the actual transcript please 

Though having said that I agree with the sentiment - utterly absurd family.

They own several grouse moors too, family history of killing lots of game birds don't you know...

On 8/13/2019 at 7:55 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

Farage is overwhelmed with his own self of importance attacking an institution held dear by many, both Remainers and Brexiteers.

Not to mention one supported and revered above any other British institution by The Guardian, eh?

On 8/14/2019 at 1:46 PM, evadgib said:

"Your Majesty, Her Majesty, Your Majesty" is said to have been the correct protocol for HM's lady-in-waiting to announce who was on the end of a phone she was passing to the Queen whenever her mother called.

She is reported to have on one occasion called down stairs to two rather openly gay footmen: "when you two old queens have finished gossiping, this old Queen would like a gin!"

6 minutes ago, JAG said:

She is reported to have on one occasion called down stairs to two rather openly gay footmen: "when you two old queens have finished gossiping, this old Queen would like a gin!"

She also supposedly tapped Noel Coward on the shoulder at a film premiere when he was eyeing off some young male beauties and said "Come along Noel, I'm sure they counted them first"

Archived