can my son sponsor me for the yearly Non O visa

I am due my yearly visit to the Immigration in Bangkok for the yearly Non O  visa in a couple of months 

I am going to  use  the Marriage to a Thai 40000 baht a month  arrangement

my wife  is currently not very  mobile  and this could cause her a lot of inconvenience  getting her to the immigration here in Bangkok .

She is currently staying outside Bangkok  with the stepdaughter I am residing in Bangkok 

My son who is a Thai citizen born in Thailand and now   working in Bangkok 

was asking could he sponsor me if yes what paperwork would be required

any help  would be appreciated in answering  this  question  

There is a line in clause 2.18 of the police order that allows it if you are 50 or over.

"(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year.
In case the father of mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over."

There is nothing more in the police orders about it and have not seen a report of anybody doing it.

You would have to ask immigration what the requirements are to do it.

Immigration might let you to apply for the extension based upon being the parent of a Thai instead of marriage.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no written limit for the age of your child for you to get an extension for being their parent. Some offices say the maximum age its 20 but that is wrong. How can there be an age limit since you will always be the parent of your child.

What if your Thai child is the one "earning money" then? Can the child financial assets/situation be used to satisfy/meet the 40,000 a month requirements to sponsor their foreign father?

10 hours ago, tcp7 said:

What if your Thai child is the one "earning money" then? Can the child financial assets/situation be used to satisfy/meet the 40,000 a month requirements to sponsor their foreign father?

I answered that question in post #2 when I quoted the police order.

"In case the father of mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over."

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

"In case the father of mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over."

Guess then we need some person(s) to attempt to go this route as no financial requirements is stated for the children maintaining their parent in order to set a precedence.

I used to rent a shop house. Father of landlord, married to Phillpino, died. In order for her to stay here in CM, she changed to support by daughter in University. She said, indicated that if a child is working, she told me they told her no problem using that method. Check for details at Immigration or agent for paperwork and qualifications.

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

as already mentioned has anyone here on Thai visa  had their son /daughter sponsor them ?

plus what paperwork is required 

regards 

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Sorry ubonjoe my english is far from perfect.

So to make it clear, the day my child reaches 21 I will be well over my 50s, can my child support me without any financial requirements whatsoever either from him/her/me then?

7 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Guess then we need some person(s) to attempt to go this route as no financial requirements is stated for the children maintaining their parent in order to set a precedence.

That is what I'm trying to understand here.

10 minutes ago, tcp7 said:

So to make it clear, the day my child reaches 21 I will be well over my 50s, can my child support me without any financial requirements whatsoever either from him/her/me then?

I cannot provide any info more than quote what is in the police order since there is no other info available as I wrote earlier.

I have seen no reports of anybody doing one and there is nothing more in the police orders other than that one line.

• Like 1

Oh well regardless I still have 13 years to go to find out as my first Thai kid just turned 8.

Things will surely have changed by then.

In 13 years from now on, I’ll be 56 years old myself, looks like a decent approach *if* it works. ????

Might as well go for the PR status thing in the meantime and try to acquire the citizenship as well.

Btw, @ubonjoe there was another thread which I can’t find at the moment which was about the Pink ID card.

If memory serves well, I believe you’Ve said something along the lines of “the yellow book is required in order to get the Pink ID card as foreigners can’t be in the blue book”, I think you made a slight “mistake” there, I’ll explain:

If you acquire a property in Thailand as a foreigner, then you designate your Thai partner (wife, girlfriend, whatever) as the house master and she registers your kid to the same blue book, there is the possibility (and I believe it’s automatically done) to have the mother and the father listed on said blue book, thus completely removing the necessity of having a yellow book.

The question is, if you go to your local Amphoe, with your wife, your kid, your blue book (which has your name translated in Thai), your Thai kid birth certificate (which also has your name written in Thai), can we then apply for the pink ID card without 1) needing to make a yellow book first as these would be “redundant” and 2) without needing a legalized certified translation of our name in Thai as it is already present on not one, but *two* documents you’re attaching to your Pink ID card application?

Would that even work at all?

Your input is appreciated.

PS: Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Edited by Guest
Pink ID card.

I cannot provide any info more than quote what is in the police order since there is no other info available as I wrote earlier.
I have seen no reports of anybody doing one and there is nothing more in the police orders other than that one line.
I might try that. I am 51 years old and my son 20 (since last May). I have been on Non O 1 year multiple based on Thai child for many years, never applied for any extension.
My actual visa will expired in November. I was planning to just go try to get another one in neighbor country but I stopped work for the moment, so I was considering to try the extension (based on my Thai child) instead. My understanding was that they will request 400k in the bank (which is not the issue) and probably a mountain of documents.

The main reason I have been going with 1 year Non O visa for many years instead of extension is because I was working in neighbor country. So, convenient for me to go in and out of Thailand and never stay longer than 90 days. The other reason was easy to get that visa in the embassy. Basically only copy of the birth certificate of my son was required. No need to go to immigration office.

So as I am in Thailand now, at least until the end of the year, I might go to the immigration enquiring about getting 1 year extension based on my Thai child supporting me.

I believe you must apply for the extension within the last month of validity of your Non O visa?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

On 8/12/2019 at 7:05 PM, ubonjoe said:

There is a line in clause 2.18 of the police order that allows it if you are 50 or over.

"(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year.
In case the father of mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over."

There is nothing more in the police orders about it and have not seen a report of anybody doing it.

You would have to ask immigration what the requirements are to do it.

Immigration might let you to apply for the extension based upon being the parent of a Thai instead of marriage.

Am i right in saying that a person over 50 with a Thai wife and a guaranteed income of BHT 40,000 per month can get the O visa.

14 hours ago, tcp7 said:

I have not seen anything about the child must be 21..

10 hours ago, tcp7 said:

If you acquire a property in Thailand as a foreigner, then you designate your Thai partner (wife, girlfriend, whatever) as the house master and she registers your kid to the same blue book, there is the possibility (and I believe it’s automatically done) to have the mother and the father listed on said blue book, thus completely removing the necessity of having a yellow book.

The question is, if you go to your local Amphoe, with your wife, your kid, your blue book (which has your name translated in Thai), your Thai kid birth certificate (which also has your name written in Thai), can we then apply for the pink ID card without 1) needing to make a yellow book first as these would be “redundant” and 2) without needing a legalized certified translation of our name in Thai as it is already present on not one, but *two* documents you’re attaching to your Pink ID card application?

You are only shown in the blue house book as being the father of your child. You are not registered in it. In order to be registered in a house book you would need to have a ID number.

You have to apply for a yellow house book to get a ID number that would be shown in your registration in it. That ID number is required to get the pink ID card.

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You are only shown in the blue house book as being the father of your child. You are not registered in it. In order to be registered in a house book you would need to have a ID number.

You have to apply for a yellow house book to get a ID number that would be shown in your registration in it. That ID number is required to get the pink ID card.

Now it makes sense, I’m shown in the book as “existing” or “recognized” as a father but not officially registered.

Gotcha.

Producing my child birth certificate with my name translated in Thai along with the blue book with also my name in Thai, will it allow me to skip the tedious step of getting my name translated and certified by the MFA at least? (in order to get the yellow book easier and faster).

Also if I’m marrying her, the marriage certificate should also have my name transcripted in Thai shouldn’t it?

The more documents, the better I suppose?

Thanks again @ubonjoe.

Edited by Guest
Typos.

On 8/13/2019 at 11:15 AM, shackleton said:

as already mentioned has anyone here on Thai visa  had their son /daughter sponsor them ?

plus what paperwork is required 

regards 

A friend is in the process of getting an extension by having his child support him.  Talked to him early last week after they had gone to immigration (several times) to finish the paperwork.  He was waiting for immigration to visit his home and interview the neigbours.  His daughter definitely had to meet financial income requirements although I don't know the number, but I will ask him.  He was receiving extensions for many years based on having a Thai child, but the immigration office he deals with told him that after 20 he can no longer do it this way.  Ubon Joe, I realize they are incorrect and I told him that, but...

Edited by kanook
  • Like 1