BANGKOK 17 August 2019 17:45
advancebooking

Sihanoukville in Cambodia gets bad reports these days

If you're thinking about departing Thailand due to tough immigration rules I would think again about moving to Sihanoukville in Cambodia. If this recent article doesn't put you off I dont know what will...

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/sihanoukville-a-pothole-in-the-banana-pancake-trail-20190807-p52evw.html

I recently watched a SE Asian based 'youtuber' stating that the Chinese are buying out all of the small hotels in the city. The westerner found it hard to find somewhere to stay and its very expensive.

I visited a few times in mid 2000 thereabouts and thought it was the wild west of SE Asia. Lots of violent crimes, corrupt police/ tuk tuks etc. I was assaulted once myself and later visited the police station to get a report. They showed me a book of grisley photos- westerners who had been subjected to violent crimes. Glad to leave that place and would never go back.

One thing I remember back then was the shear number of alcoholic old westerners wasting their lives away.

If you live there or have been recently please give your opinions.

cheers

• Haha 1

Just curious......

Did you look at these two threads?

Edited by VBF

A recent article in an Australian newspaper.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/china-s-takeover-of-sihanoukville-is-almost-complete-despite-base-row-20190805-p52e44.html

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Used to be full of Russians, so I was told, and I've never heard anything good about the place.

It's (IMO) a similar sad story to that of Phuket. Used to be a paradise but as far as "Snooky" is concerned, it's now ruined.

I was last there in 2013 when it was still lovely. Read my comments in the thread created by @KhunHeineken to which I linked in #4.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VBF said:

It's (IMO) a similar sad story to that of Phuket. Used to be a paradise but as far as "Snooky" is concerned, it's now ruined.

I was last there in 2013 when it was still lovely. Read my comments in the thread created by @KhunHeineken to which I linked in #4.

+1  really enjoyed it until 2015

• Like 2

I was there last month and the article you link to is accurate, but the worst thing was the pervasive smell of rotting garbage. I'll never go back. 

• Thanks 1

Wasn't there some kind of relationship between the cambo PM and the chinese developers (china govt sponsored)?  Something to do with red, or was it brown, envelopes.

In one of the articles above....

'

In Sihanoukville, according to Preah Sihanouk provincial police commissioner Chuon Narin, there are 156 hotels and guesthouses, 150 of which are owned by Chinese investors'

I too started going there in very early 2000's, not sure the exact years but then the place was exiting and raw with an element of danger. If you were into cute Vietnamese girls for a few dollars then this was the place. I remember the old chicken farm by the port when it just went on for miles and miles. The beaches were all pretty deserted, victory hill was where you could eat and drink cheaply. Glad i saw it at it's best. Would not go near the place now, much like Phuket.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kenchamp said:

I too started going there in very early 2000's, not sure the exact years but then the place was exiting and raw with an element of danger. If you were into cute Vietnamese girls for a few dollars then this was the place. I remember the old chicken farm by the port when it just went on for miles and miles. The beaches were all pretty deserted, victory hill was where you could eat and drink cheaply. Glad i saw it at it's best. Would not go near the place now, much like Phuket.

Vietnamese working girls in Cambodia? 

• Like 1