BANGKOK 19 August 2019 08:13
Srshort38

Round-trip from US to Thailand with European stop

Over the years I have flown to Thailand from California and a handful of times from Florida (Palm beach area).  I looked over flying eastward and connecting through Europe but that always involved 7 or 8 or 10 hour layovers at some airport, be it Heathrow London, Charles De Gaulle France, Germany etc.  So each time I instead flew westward to Los Angeles and went to Thailand from there.  Time wise it is about the same.  And departing LAX on the midnight or 1 AM flights makes it easy to get to LAX from Florida, and taking those late night flights from LAX can get you into BKK at 11 AM BKK time which makes it easy to catch day time busses, take the BTS etc. 

37 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Over the years I have flown to Thailand from California and a handful of times from Florida (Palm beach area).  I looked over flying eastward and connecting through Europe but that always involved 7 or 8 or 10 hour layovers at some airport, be it Heathrow London, Charles De Gaulle France, Germany etc.  So each time I instead flew westward to Los Angeles and went to Thailand from there.  Time wise it is about the same.  And departing LAX on the midnight or 1 AM flights makes it easy to get to LAX from Florida, and taking those late night flights from LAX can get you into BKK at 11 AM BKK time which makes it easy to catch day time busses, take the BTS etc. 

I just get on a plane in Atlanta and fly to seoul and thence to BKK, 22 hours total, done. Going though Europe is too expensive and takes too long.

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

I just get on a plane in Atlanta and fly to seoul and thence to BKK, 22 hours total, done. Going though Europe is too expensive and takes too long.

oh I agree.  That is why I never did it.  And once I think I went to Chicago and then on to Narita or Osaka then to BKK.  been a while since I did that.  The reason I did the LAX thing was that often I would stay over in the LA area because I have friends there.

We have friends and family in Greece and in Italy, last year we flew to Thailand with Turkish airlines, we  chose a multi-destination option when doing the search for a ticket.

We flew from JFk to Istanbul Turkey, caught a short connecting flight to Athens, spend a week there then connected back to Istanbul and from there to BKK,  return was BKK to Istanbul ,Istanbul to NYC

The ticket was about $1200 usd each . Our stay in Greece was very inexpensive because we have friends there to stay with, but because of the economic conditions there I am sure accommodations there are relatively inexpensive. 

I did a search for a similar attiniary as above and got the below attinery for $963 on priceline

image.png.be82b0e3f83cbbc6433292a33b8e03f4.png

Edited by sirineou

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:39 PM, AAArdvark said:

On flight search engines you will often see flights with the exact same times and destinations but different airlines.  These would be code share flights.  You have to do a bit of research to figure out who the actual carrier is.

Which search engines do you use? I like Momondo.

Edited by CNXexpat

Consider Portugal, but not sure about the connections from Lisbon to BKK.  Easy to get to Portugal from the US though, and Lisbon is a great place to spend some time, probably my favorite city in Europe.

11 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Which search engines do you use? I like Momondo.

That is a good one.  I also like skyscanner and kayak.