Trump adviser Bolton: U.S. would enthusiastically support a UK choice for no-deal Brexit

webfact

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The standard minimum VAT rate set by the EU is 15%, each member nation can have up to 2 reduced rates for goods/services agreed with the EU. 

The UK standard rate is set by the UK at 20% a full 5% points above the EU minimum.

Be assured the billionaires, multimillionaires and hedge fund managers who funded the Brexit Leave Campaign(s) are not at all concerned about VAT.

If Johnson and his Brexit Cabinet want to address VAT they can reduce it to 15% any time they wish. There are absolutely no EU rule or regulation preventing them doing so.

The point is that the EU have control over and set the VAT minimum. Why 15%? We can't go back to, say, 7% if we want to. Whether any campaign is or is not concerned about it is superfluous.    

30 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The point is that the EU have control over and set the VAT minimum. Why 15%? We can't go back to, say, 7% if we want to. Whether any campaign is or is not concerned about it is superfluous.    

What's the point of discussing 7% when there is no indication of any willingness to go below 20%.

The VAT argument is nonsense. No Government is going to drop VAT, they all need the money. 

34 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What's the point of discussing 7% when there is no indication of any willingness to go below 20%.

The VAT argument is nonsense. No Government is going to drop VAT, they all need the money. 

Actually, all European countries have a VAT rate above 15%, most are at 20% and above. It seems no Government wants to apply a low VAT policy.

5 minutes ago, candide said:

Actually, all European countries have a VAT rate above 15%, most are at 20% and above. It seems no Government wants to apply a low VAT policy.

Correct they do, but there is nothing preventing the UK government having a standard VAT rate of 15%. 

They have chosen not to do so. Hence my point that the VAT rate is a distraction. 

The real issue is the CCCTB and anti tax avoidance laws. 

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Feel free to use the report and/or ignore buttons if you are offended.

You have no idea whether there will be a trade deal with the USA or not, nor do I.  I can quote Trump vs your Speaker.... time will tell but my money is on a deal. Please don't bother to try and pass off the comments of a USA politician as gospel, or evidence that something is not going to happen.

That's odd. Brexiters have been consistently citing the imminent free trade deal between the USA and the UK as a reason not to fear Brexit. 

"You have no idea whether there will be a trade deal with the USA or not, nor do I."

So that wasn't you who wrote the following?

"Of course there will..... you know it makes sense.

But carry on with your negativity, we are impervious to it now."

(This comment appearing on the previous page)

Or this?

"You can't see good in anything can you ? 

I am sure both parties will be satisfied with the outcome."

Backing down much?

6 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

That's odd. Brexiters have been consistently citing the imminent free trade deal between the USA and the UK as a reason not to fear Brexit. 

"You have no idea whether there will be a trade deal with the USA or not, nor do I."

So that wasn't you who wrote the following?

"Of course there will..... you know it makes sense.

But carry on with your negativity, we are impervious to it now."

(This comment appearing on the previous page)

Or this?

"You can't see good in anything can you ? 

I am sure both parties will be satisfied with the outcome."

Backing down much?

Not at all. I firmly believe there will be a trade deal with USA and many others........don’t you ?

14 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Not at all. I firmly believe there will be a trade deal with USA and many others........don’t you ?

Let's see if Brexit actually occurs. And if it does, a trade deal with the USA looks dubious unless the backstop survives. And those deals won't be negotiated nearly as quickly as you seem to think. Remember how it was being trumpeted that the trade agreement with Japan was nearly a done deal? How's that going? They're playing a lot tougher than it was predicted. What makes you think others won't do the same? 

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

How on earth would you know that? VAT is rarely discussed as we have this 15% minimum imposed upon us for most things. VAT could be increased on more luxury items and reduced on BEER (for example), to maintain VAT revenue levels, if necessary. 

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

How on earth would you know that? VAT is rarely discussed as we have this 15% minimum imposed upon us for most things. VAT could be increased on more luxury items and reduced on BEER (for example), to maintain VAT revenue levels, if necessary. 

How so?

That's how it is done.

In Germany VAT of 7% applies to all basic foods. and 19% on among others for luxury goods. The EU leaves every country its individual freedom of action.

The EU sets the broad VAT rules through European VAT Directives, and has set the minimum standard VAT rate at 15%. The 28 member states are otherwise free to set their standard VAT rates. The EU also permits a maximum of two reduced rates, the lowest of which must be 5% or above.

https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-rates/european-vat-rates.html

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

How so?

That's how it is done.

In Germany VAT of 7% applies to all basic foods. and 19% on among others for luxury goods. The EU leaves every country its individual freedom of action.

You did not read what I said,

10 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

How so?

That's how it is done.

more basic items could have zero VAT that's how so

Archived