Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Trump adviser Bolton: U.S. would enthusiastically support a UK choice for no-deal Brexit

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

but the signing will take place after brexit and will need a 'little' revision

You can hold a big joint press conference once the agreement is finalized that would lock in everyone's positions. Let Trump go on and on about the "big, beautiful deal" he just put together. That would commit him even if he were inclined to screw the British over, which as I already pointed out, he won't because he has an irrational soft spot for them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No surprises there. A no-deal UK would be exactly the kind of meek "partner" with very little bargaining power that The Donald loves to do business with.

 

If there's any such enthusiasm on the UK side as well, I predict it will be very short-lived once his terms become clear.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Bases for missiles and a flunky that will be used, oftimes as a proxy, in some dubious small military adventures with wide ranging consequences if they go wrong so that the US has clean hands, the Europeans don't do his bidding so easily.

There are already US bases in the UK. Lakenheath, Mildenhall, Fairford, to name but three. Greenham Common used to store cruise missiles but closed down a few years ago.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billd766 said:

There are already US bases in the UK. Lakenheath, Mildenhall, Fairford, to name but three. Greenham Common used to store cruise missiles but closed down a few years ago.

RAF Menwith Hill near Harrogate is totally run by the Americans.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, usviphotography said:

You can hold a big joint press conference once the agreement is finalized that would lock in everyone's positions. Let Trump go on and on about the "big, beautiful deal" he just put together. That would commit him even if he were inclined to screw the British over, which as I already pointed out, he won't because he has an irrational soft spot for them.  

Joint means you have to have two for that press conference. A finalized agreement takes place AFTER brexit so maybe the UK won't have much to shout about then when they have to kow tow to the reality of splendid isolation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Joint means you have to have two for that press conference. A finalized agreement takes place AFTER brexit so maybe the UK won't have much to shout about then when they have to kow tow to the reality of splendid isolation.

You say "maybe the UK won't have much to shout about" well maybe they just might, at the moment in time a lot of our citizens are doing nothing but pulling our country down, maybe this will be the impetus to get some belief in ourselves again, instead of this 'woe is me' all the time.

I take most of what is thrown at us from the Eumainers as either jealousy, because we have the nous to go it alone or sour grapes because they don't want us to leave, even if they say they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No surprise.  Trump's view all along has been that a UK out of the EU will be weaker in UK/US trade negotiations.  A no-deal-Brexit UK will be even weaker, can be offered truly extortionist trade terms and will be in no position to resist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

(snip) you will be caught up in all sorts of wild military adventures that are doomed to failure, overspend on American military hardware and have to support American foreign policy.

So......what's new?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another ‘unelected bureaucrat’ with an opinion based on ignorance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jip99 said:

 

 

You can't see good in anything can you ?

 

I am sure both parties will be satisfied with the outcome.

Be assured one side will be happy.

 

‘America First’

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

No, one party will be satisfied and the other party will pretend to be satisfied.

 

 

Better, MUCH better than we have now.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Be assured one side will be happy.

 

‘America First’

 

 

 

 

Better, MUCH better than we have now.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...