Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Trump adviser Bolton: U.S. would enthusiastically support a UK choice for no-deal Brexit

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Yes. Because the USA in well known for their global responsibility and calm attitude under the current admin...

Whilst the current regime of the EU are being extremely mealy mouthed and totally dumb.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Exactly, Trump fell out with the EU in trade negotiations so he sees brexit as a way of getting back at them. He knows full well that post brexit the UK will turn its back on the US, and then bend over.

Highly likely it will become a binary choice for the UK, US or EU. The union is dead, long live the union.

Trump supported Brexit before he was even elected President, so that theory simply doesn't hold water.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/may/05/donald-trump-brexit-uk-leaving-european-union

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sandyf said:

The question there Bill is Why?  Is it not time they went home, the UK have closed their permanent bases in Europe.

I was at Wyton, just a few miles from Alconbury, in the early years of the Vietnam war, not a good situation. Why should the UK be forced into supporting their disputes.

Any further agreements with the US will attract attention and could paint a bigger target on the back of the UK than it already has.

TBH Sandy I really have no idea why they are still here other than being operation stations and also for Refors and staging through.

 

I agree wholeheartedly that the UK should be forced into supporting their disputes. We were unnecessarily dragged into the Iranian tanker off Gibraltar and we lost one of ours in a tit for tat off Iran.

 

IMHO Trump has done a great disservice to the USA in alienating friends and allies which will take years or decades to repair.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Opl said:

"John Bolton's proposal for sectoral U.S.-U.K. trade deals post Brexit has caused excitement in London, but cynical trade experts are not convinced."

"The U.S. didn’t get to where they are in the world by being unnecessarily nice to countries that are slightly desperate.”

it's very rare that countries make trade deals sector by sector, extremely rare and mainly happen only when one of the countries is desperate for a deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m clarifying precisely what the US is about.

 

Dictating the UK’s tax laws.

Funny, that's what the EU want to do.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I doubt he gave it much thought, but Bannon did and Putin certainly has.

Mind reading again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

it's very rare that countries make trade deals sector by sector, extremely rare and mainly happen only when one of the countries is desperate for a deal

Desperate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Desperate.

Yes, as in a Post Brexit UK (we are told likely no-deal Brexit) desperate for a trade deal.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's actually extremely unlikely that the Congress would approve a piecemeal deal with the UK. If you do a search using the following terms, there's a good explanation:

How realistic is a sectoral trade deal between US and UK?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, billd766 said:

TBH Sandy I really have no idea why they are still here other than being operation stations and also for Refors and staging through.

 

I agree wholeheartedly that the UK should be forced into supporting their disputes. We were unnecessarily dragged into the Iranian tanker off Gibraltar and we lost one of ours in a tit for tat off Iran.

 

IMHO Trump has done a great disservice to the USA in alienating friends and allies which will take years or decades to repair.

One of problems is that the US has been able to shout the odds at the world with a certain amount of protection through distance, with allies in the vicinity taking most of the flak from terrorist incidents.

Leaving the EU is one thing but getting into bed with the Americans will bring about a whole new security level to the UK, which can hardly be said to be in the national interest.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

One of problems is that the US has been able to shout the odds at the world with a certain amount of protection through distance, with allies in the vicinity taking most of the flak from terrorist incidents.

Leaving the EU is one thing but getting into bed with the Americans will bring about a whole new security level to the UK, which can hardly be said to be in the national interest.

Especially with the US dictating UK polices and actions that increase the likelihood of the UK becoming embroiled in unnecessary US generated conflicts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...