New Trump rule targets poor and could cut legal immigration in half, advocates say

webfact

4 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Amnesty provisions in the past did exactly that. And just how do you propose people who being given amnesty and the right to work and live in the US be then denied social security? Are you saying they will be disqualified from receiving ss benefits, which is what my post referred to? Well, they won't and they can't be. They'll get the money and bust the system.

"people are saying..." "everyone is telling me..."

Firstly, there will never, ever be "comprehensive immigration reform". Or if it does come to pass, we'll all be riding unicorns that poop rainbows, so we won't care.

Any pathway to citizenship would likely not include "reparations"; allowing previous contributions to be recouped as this would be a negotiating point to be given up. Contributions/withholdings would obviously be recouped going forward.

That said, they are paying in to FICA (7.65% - 6% SS, 1.45 Medicare) now. An argument could be made that they may be entitled retoractively to this, "their" money, assuming they eventually became citizens. 

My favorite quote of the day...

If immigrants are so lazy/shiftless/a public burden, why do ICE raids always take place at work-places?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/13/2019 at 6:24 PM, quandow said:

Do you really think wealthy people are going to pick fruit?

Automation..... I picked apples in upstate New York 1975, no Mexicans there, they relied on Jamaicans and black Americans, only white kid there at age 17.

Used to be the Mexicans followed the crops and returned to Mexico. Not anymore, the illegals are into all kinds of decent paying jobs now....construction, warehouse work, factories. It's possible Americans have become so spoiled and lazy they don't want these manual jobs anymore. If so we need a work visa system where the family stays put and only the worker comes to the US.

18 hours ago, zydeco said:

Amnesty provisions in the past did exactly that. And just how do you propose people who being given amnesty and the right to work and live in the US be then denied social security? Are you saying they will be disqualified from receiving ss benefits, which is what my post referred to? Well, they won't and they can't be. They'll get the money and bust the system.

They generally have to wait until they receive permanent resident status and/or citizenship, depending on the terms of the program.   

Archived