BANGKOK 18 August 2019 17:05
gwanoy

Duty on Alcohol

How is the duty on excess alcohol brought in to the Kingdom calculated?

Is it best to ensure you have a receipt showing the price you paid for the alcohol you’re bringing in?

Or perhaps a better question is has anyone voluntarily declared alcohol in excess of the allotted amount?  ;-)

Thank You. 

There is no official way to pay duty on excess alcohol at any port of entry.

Declaring it at the Red Channel may get you a free pass (maybe with a payment of "duty" to the officer) or it may get the excess confiscated, there used to be a "Dump It" box at Swampy (it's been a while so I'm not sure if it's still there), not declaring it at Green will get you a world of hurt if it's picked up.

To be honest, it's not worth the hassle, one litre per adult, packed in their individual bags and you'll be fine.

The customs chaps are on the lookout for easy pickings, alcohol and tobacco. Other potentially dutiable items tend to get ignored as "too hard".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the correct information:

http://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160905_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_01

Just keep the link handy in your mobile phone, due to that the page is also in Thai, the officers can read the laws themselfs if they not know them.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

This is the correct information:

http://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160905_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_01

Just keep the link handy in your mobile phone, due to that the page is also in Thai, the officers can read the laws themselfs if they not know them.

That page states:- The excess quantities of cigarettes, tobacco or alcoholic beverages must be dropped in the box provided by Customs, otherwise prosecution will be carried out.

It doesn't say that you can pay duty on over-limit.

There is nothing in the Red Channel section directly pertaining to alcohol, are you assuming that the general statements also apply to alcohol and tobacco?

Have you actually tried paying duty on excess alcohol / tobacco?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

And that page states:- The excess quantities of cigarettes, tobacco or alcoholic beverages must be dropped in the box provided by Customs, otherwise prosecution will be carried out.

It also stands that you can use "Goods to declare" channel, which is the opposite to the green line.

Yes it does. Goods to declare usually always includes over-limit. The information is to be find in Case 3, Procedure, section 2 an 3.

There is nothing in the Red Channel section directly pertaining to alcohol, are you assuming that the general statements also apply to alcohol and tobacco?

As long as you can not find it under prohibited products and substances it will include alcohol, as it will then not be prohibited.

All is as of my understanding. Never tried and never will, due to that I never buy those , to me, useless products when moving between countries. I recon the possibility to afford your drinks in the country is enough. 🙂 

Edited by Matzzon

My understanding is that alcohol and tobacco require an import licence for quantities over the duty free limits. 

Alcohol and tobacco are not prohibited goods but they are restricted goods 

http://www.customs.go.th/cont_strc_simple.php?ini_content=individual_160426_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_03_01

There is a potential for paying duty on non-commercial restricted goods less than 200k, but does that include alcohol (as it requires a licence)? Left hand path on the flow-chart.

What we need is someone who has actually successfully imported excess alcohol at Swampy and gone through the formalities at the 2nd floor.

As with many things in Thailand, what matters most can be who you encounter on the day and his interpretation of the rules. 

My opinion is post #2 is the best advice. 😉

• Like 2

Some years ago I declared at Don Muang (there was no Suvarnabhumi then)

14 bottles of special Australian wine.

They wanted 100 Bht per bottle,,, duly paid, I was asked if I wanted a receipt 

I said no, big grin & on me bike

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

That page states:- The excess quantities of cigarettes, tobacco or alcoholic beverages must be dropped in the box provided by Customs, otherwise prosecution will be carried out.

About 15 years ago when the the Buddhist version of Shariah Law on Alcohol was not yet enforced like now, I wanted to buy two bottles of red wine in the arrival hall but first I went to ask at the "Red Line" what would be the tax on the extra bottle...and I gave as a pretext that I wanted to organise a birth day party for my wife ...Custom officer smiled and told me "buy the extra bottle and come through my channel"...and he let me through with another big smile

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

My understanding is that alcohol and tobacco require an import licence for quantities over the duty free limits. 

Alcohol and tobacco are not prohibited goods but they are restricted goods 

http://www.customs.go.th/cont_strc_simple.php?ini_content=individual_160426_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_03_01

There is a potential for paying duty on non-commercial restricted goods less than 200k, but does that include alcohol (as it requires a licence)? Left hand path on the flow-chart.

I know things change but on my first trip to Thailand when I smoked I brought 5 cartons of cigarettes for my 3 week trip ( not enough as it turned out)  and duly reported it to the customs clerk in the items to declare line.

Not surprisingly,  the clerk just smiled and waved me on.

Had it happened today, I may have been asked to fund his retirement.

• Haha 1

If you get cut, It (more than limit) will be confiscated and you will be fined.  

The largest I had in my laggage and it was noticed by X-Ray (but no problem) was 1.75L bottle.