Duty on Alcohol

gwanoy

How is the duty on excess alcohol brought in to the Kingdom calculated?

Is it best to ensure you have a receipt showing the price you paid for the alcohol you’re bringing in?

Or perhaps a better question is has anyone voluntarily declared alcohol in excess of the allotted amount?  ;-)

Thank You. 

There is no official way to pay duty on excess alcohol at any port of entry.

Declaring it at the Red Channel may get you a free pass (maybe with a payment of "duty" to the officer) or it may get the excess confiscated, there used to be a "Dump It" box at Swampy (it's been a while so I'm not sure if it's still there), not declaring it at Green will get you a world of hurt if it's picked up.

To be honest, it's not worth the hassle, one litre per adult, packed in their individual bags and you'll be fine.

The customs chaps are on the lookout for easy pickings, alcohol and tobacco. Other potentially dutiable items tend to get ignored as "too hard".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the correct information:

http://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160905_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_01

Just keep the link handy in your mobile phone, due to that the page is also in Thai, the officers can read the laws themselfs if they not know them.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

This is the correct information:

http://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160905_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_01

Just keep the link handy in your mobile phone, due to that the page is also in Thai, the officers can read the laws themselfs if they not know them.

That page states:- The excess quantities of cigarettes, tobacco or alcoholic beverages must be dropped in the box provided by Customs, otherwise prosecution will be carried out.

It doesn't say that you can pay duty on over-limit.

There is nothing in the Red Channel section directly pertaining to alcohol, are you assuming that the general statements also apply to alcohol and tobacco?

Have you actually tried paying duty on excess alcohol / tobacco?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

And that page states:- The excess quantities of cigarettes, tobacco or alcoholic beverages must be dropped in the box provided by Customs, otherwise prosecution will be carried out.

It also stands that you can use "Goods to declare" channel, which is the opposite to the green line.

Yes it does. Goods to declare usually always includes over-limit. The information is to be find in Case 3, Procedure, section 2 an 3.

There is nothing in the Red Channel section directly pertaining to alcohol, are you assuming that the general statements also apply to alcohol and tobacco?

As long as you can not find it under prohibited products and substances it will include alcohol, as it will then not be prohibited.

All is as of my understanding. Never tried and never will, due to that I never buy those , to me, useless products when moving between countries. I recon the possibility to afford your drinks in the country is enough. ???? 

Edited by Matzzon

My understanding is that alcohol and tobacco require an import licence for quantities over the duty free limits. 

Alcohol and tobacco are not prohibited goods but they are restricted goods 

http://www.customs.go.th/cont_strc_simple.php?ini_content=individual_160426_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_03_01

There is a potential for paying duty on non-commercial restricted goods less than 200k, but does that include alcohol (as it requires a licence)? Left hand path on the flow-chart.

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

That page states:- The excess quantities of cigarettes, tobacco or alcoholic beverages must be dropped in the box provided by Customs, otherwise prosecution will be carried out.

About 15 years ago when the the Buddhist version of Shariah Law on Alcohol was not yet enforced like now, I wanted to buy two bottles of red wine in the arrival hall but first I went to ask at the "Red Line" what would be the tax on the extra bottle...and I gave as a pretext that I wanted to organise a birth day party for my wife ...Custom officer smiled and told me "buy the extra bottle and come through my channel"...and he let me through with another big smile

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

My understanding is that alcohol and tobacco require an import licence for quantities over the duty free limits. 

Alcohol and tobacco are not prohibited goods but they are restricted goods 

http://www.customs.go.th/cont_strc_simple.php?ini_content=individual_160426_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_03_01

There is a potential for paying duty on non-commercial restricted goods less than 200k, but does that include alcohol (as it requires a licence)? Left hand path on the flow-chart.

I know things change but on my first trip to Thailand when I smoked I brought 5 cartons of cigarettes for my 3 week trip ( not enough as it turned out)  and duly reported it to the customs clerk in the items to declare line.

Not surprisingly,  the clerk just smiled and waved me on.

Had it happened today, I may have been asked to fund his retirement.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

To be honest, it's not worth the hassle, one litre per adult, packed in their individual bags and you'll be fine.

I recently traveled to BKK, with wife and kids. I had 2L of booze in one suitcase.

I went thru the Green Line; no problem whatsoever.

9 hours ago, Gumballl said:

I recently traveled to BKK, with wife and kids. I had 2L of booze in one suitcase.

I went thru the Green Line; no problem whatsoever.

Indeed (did they actually x-ray the bag?), but there have been reports of officers trying it on when both bottles have been in one suitcase. Always best to be safe if you have multiple bags to pack your booze in.

What about larger quantities shipped?  I love wine, I been a wine importer before. and I feel sad in Thailand. Not always good brands, and 3.5 times the price I pay here in France. What would I pay as an individual as import-taxes, if I let come a few cases? 

Unless you have a licence to import alcoholic beverages you will not be allowed to import them and no customs official would be foolish enough to assess import charges and issue a receipt for them.

15 hours ago, Maestro said:

Unless you have a licence to import alcoholic beverages you will not be allowed to import them and no customs official would be foolish enough to assess import charges and issue a receipt for them.

Woaw, that is a bugger.  I thought if for personal use, it would be ok, if you pay import taxes on it. That is going to be a sad year.  Most wine sold in Thailand is not great and 3.5 the usual price. Poor wine -lovers. 

On 8/15/2019 at 5:03 PM, indieke said:

Most wine sold in Thailand is not great and 3.5 the usual price. Poor wine -lovers. 

Many threads on this over the last couple of years. Some very long like the Montclair thread. Lots of despair from wine lovers but no real way round it unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your informative (and sometimes entertaining) comments and input. I do appreciate your taking the time to answer.
For the record, it's not that I'm being cheap, it's just that I have yet to find a decent liquor shop here in Chiang Mai that carries a wide selection of single malts. 
I'm sure there are several in Bangkok but I rarely make it down there.
If anyone can suggest a few places in BKK, I'll be sure to check them out the next time I go.

In the interim, I'll continue to press my luck and bring back 2-3 bottles as I go back and forth.

If and when I do get caught up, I'll be sure to let the Forum know what transpired.
Slainte!