SETV accommodation requirement

I'm planning to get a SETV in KL soon. So far I've gotten 3 exempt entries over the course of about a year (all extended, stays 40-60 days) - from what I've read here, obtaining the SETV should be ok.

However the requirement for 60 days of pre-booked accommodation seems ridiculous. I'm only planning to book a hotel or airbnb for a couple of weeks in Bangkok at first, then decide where to go from there.

I gather that KL is strict regarding documentation and pre-arranged hotel bookings are mandatory, but I can't imagine everyone does this, right... Are people booking refundable hotel stays or printing fake reservations? I don't really use hotels and tend to stick to airbnb - what sites offer full refunds for hotels.. ? It seems crazy to rely on expecting a 60 days refund every time if you're doing border runs regularly.

Is there any place to get a 60 day SETV without the 60 days of accommodation??

• Thanks 1

Agoda like many accomm sites have various prices for bookings. The slightly more expensive option allows free cancellation. The date indicated. Some allow pay at hotel. Select those then cancel. 

I would not select airbnb as those are often pay in advance and the service fee not refunded if cancelled.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

Thanks. I've been able to book a few "pay w/o card, free cancellation" on Agoda. I can kind of understand the frustration of the long-term expats on this forum, having to do this constantly and the new TM30 stuff must be a pain. I think I'll just take my chances with an exemption next time, and if denied then so be it, I'll go somewhere else.

Do they actually ask for proof of accomadation for the whole 60 days ? Surely, not ?

Will it work, if you show accomadation for a couple of days at the start of your 60 day holiday, and tell them that you plan to travel around Thailand for the rest of the 60 days, and that you haven't yet booked the accomadation ?

10 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Do they actually ask for proof of accomadation for the whole 60 days ? Surely, not ?

Will it work, if you show accomadation for a couple of days at the start of your 60 day holiday, and tell them that you plan to travel around Thailand for the rest of the 60 days, and that you haven't yet booked the accomadation ?

jesus, I was going to get a SETV from the USA to Thailand in December.  I never ever pay for a hotel in advance because experience has shown they often give you a crap or undesirable room and I do not trust thai businesses very much at all. And I have never used my credit card while in Thailand except for when I buy the air tickets online with EVA while still in the USA.  I pay cash for hotels.  If I were to book with agoda one would have to provide credit card info. I see before I buy.  Heck, I don't even like buying the plane ticket in advance because of the chance the Thais will not offer the SETV due to some miscommunication, mistake or just plain incompetence or simple money grab and want to keep the application fee.  Am I being paranoid?  No.  I just am in general careful and prudent with my finances and raise an eyebrow anytime somebody wants money up front

Edited by gk10002000
add
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

jesus, I was going to get a SETV from the USA to Thailand in December. 

I think, in the end, it will all be okay. Nobody is going to come up with a system that is so absurd and mad, where you're suppose to provide evidence for where you're staying for the whole fifty or sixty days holiday.

You're going in December. If such nonsense is recquired to get a visa right now, well, by December, they would have seen sense, and remove the madness.

I was in KL three months ago. I only had accomodation booked for 2 weeks as I didn’t know where I’m gonna go next after that. The girl who was working there asked me why I had only two weeks. I explained to her that I will book as I go. She was fine with that and accepted my documents. Got the visa next day. Everything went smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Ok, so an update for anyone who may find this helpful. Applied for a SETV in Hong Kong. As per other posts on the matter, staff weren't exactly a pleasant bunch, but they were quite helpful. Was requested to get a bank statement and have an interview with their supervisor. After waiting I got the same person who took my documents telling me "only one visa, no more, go back to home country" (Which I have done multiple times between visa exemptions, but I was too over situation to bother mentioning that). As mentioned in a previous post, too much of a hassle for me to bother stuffing around with this. Arrived around 10AM, quite quick from what I gather (10 minutes + 10 minutes waiting for supervisor), although I've never gotten an official visa before.  I'll update again if I actually get the visa...

Documents needed:

• Flight in
  • Flight out
  • First 30 days accommodation (start date of which is after the fly-in date. Hoping no issues there).
  • Bank statement
  • HKID or arrival slip (photocopied onto A4 page - wouldn't accept the original arrival slip because "needs to be A4")

• Thanks 1

I just got an SETV in Vientiane,  I provided a receipt with my accommodation paid up for a few days after returning. It was enough but you still must provide a street address with some kind of evidence.  You don't need to pre book 60 days of accommodations, just the first few.