BANGKOK 19 August 2019 19:39
carlyai

Holiday in Myanmar.

We are thinking of a 10 day tourist trip to Myanmar around Christmas time 2019.

We like to do our first trips to new countries with a tourist company, so everything is planned and we see most things. We live in Thailand so it's a small hop to Myanmar. My wife would like to visit all the best temples.

Anyone know of a good tourist company we could enquire with?

Failing that, suggested 10 itinary.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Naypyidaw is the capital of Myanmar. 

Good luck, be good to hear how it went. 

I kept away from the main stream tourist spots I hate fighting that nations people starts with C. went east to Kentung thats 80 klms from Chinese border interesting and friendly people. Depends what you are looking for? Lots of history to see.

Try Myeik. Been there a couple times for work. Wish I had time to do the island tours. 

2019-04-27 18.06.52.jpg

2019-04-27 18.02.37.jpg

Posted (edited)

Wonderful country, great people and many things to see.

first timer, fly into Mandalay, ( a city i have visited half a dozen times and love it) 3 days, visit the temples, the morning Jade market, walk around town, lunch on the Irrawaddy river, sunset from Mandalay hill, a full day tour of the ancient cities, boat ride to Mingun an sunset at U bein bridge. You could than do the train out to Pyin U Lwin ( the old British hill station) than across the Gotrek Viaduct to Hispaw and taxi or bus back to Mandalay

Take the boat down to Bagan, 2 full days there visiting the stupas and the old town market...than over night train,bus or fly to Yangon to finish up ur trip before heading home

SKIP Inle as although the lake is indeed nice, there is nothing else worth stopping for an its full of tourists and very touristy oriented<

Of course there are many other options.

Out of Yangon you could head to the golden rock and than Hip-An.

Or the beaches, the far West, ( Chin  state) or the far north and travel down the Irrawaddy or Chidwin Rivers.

https://phuket.zenfolio.com/f125862719

As to the suggestion above, Myeik, is to dam far from anywhere an not easy, (unless you fly) to get in an out of> its a nice town but unless ur passing thru it on the way to Kwathoung to enter Thailand or doing a expensive dive trip..... Daweii is much more interesting and hosts the best UNTOURIST beaches in Burma

Note if ur traveling during Xmas time, start doing ur hotel bookings NOW.it fill up fast

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

SKIP Inle as although the lake is indeed nice, there is nothing else worth stopping for an its full of tourists and very touristy oriented

I understand this comment as both phuketrichard and I had the privilege of being here way back when it was a sleepy town none of which is recognisable today and it's more than a fair bet that neither of us will ever visit again. But for first time visitors the comfort of having plenty of other tourists around and luxury of choice of multiple cuisines will likely appeal so up to the individual to research and decide for themselves.

2 hours ago, Snackbar said:

Naypyidaw is the capital of Myanmar. 

Yup the modern capital occupied by those that march but for history and character Rangoon reigns supreme.

• Like 1

great restaurant in yangon : "junior duck" on the docks

there's a good travel agency in yangon : "gulliver travel"

• Like 1

Just now, federico said:

great restaurant in yangon : "junior duck" on the docks

there's a good travel agency in yangon : "gulliver travel"

I go often to Yangon. The Junior Duck (on the water), and Golden Duck are among the most reliable in Yangon but that's not saying much. Crappy compared to what's available in Bangkok. For an incredible 5 star buffet go to the Melia Hotel. World class.

• Like 1

What are people like?

Just to make two comparisons.

Compared with Thai and Cambodian.

I am talking friendliness etc.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

What are people like?

Just to make two comparisons.

Compared with Thai and Cambodian.

I am talking friendliness etc.

Burmese are great. They are a bit standoffish compared to Thais, but among themselves are very tight. Their work ethic is far superior to Thais or Cambodians. Their English is better than Thais. Traffic is terrible in Yangon.

Edited by keemapoot
  • Thanks 1

Local currency Kyat, pronounced chat. US dollars are widely accepted but they MUST be in absolutely perfect pristine condition. Any mark or irregularity will render them unacceptable except possibly in a bank.

Depending on where you go it can be a very cheap place or very expensive, especially at some of the higher class hotels.

The bigger towns and cities as well as airports have ATMs for cash withdrawal. In Mandalay every bag including carry on is x-rayed on arrival. On departure it is so easy - no need to take laptops or phones out of your carry on . Keep your belt and shoes on too. They have done away with the arrival card now.

The Burmese I know are generally very nice people and I have made some good friends.

Be aware PC doesn't really exist and don't be surprised if you go to a 'restaurant' off the beaten track to be given an ashtray with three cigarettes in it when you sit down. Cigarette lighters can be found hanging from the ceiling on a piece of string.

If you want to get a waiter or waitresses notice you make a sound with your lips similar to "give us a kiss" at a distance. Very strange when you first hear it and even stranger when you first do it. Try that with a waitress in Australia would result in a punch in the mouth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We really enjoyed the boat ride from Bagan to Mandalay. The boat was very seaworthy and the ride took about 10-11 hours. We departed Bagan when it was still dark and saw a great sunrise as we were going down the river. It was very relaxing and you got a great perspective of the Myanmar country as we made are way to Mandalay.

• Like 1

Bagan to Mandalay. ...saw a great sunrise as we were going down the river

you were going UP the river   🙂

out in the country, i didn't find the Burmese any more or any less friendly than the Thai's of Khmers. But i find them all friendly..

• Like 1

Maybe it would be better for us to forget about going Christmas time and go a bit later? Maybe early February.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk