Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Four die after breathing toxic gases from waste treatment system in Songkhla

Recommended Posts

Four die after breathing toxic gases from waste treatment system in Songkhla

By The Nation

 

800_21498c36510e50a.jpg?v=1565669134

 

Three workers and their boss died from hydrogen sulfide poisoning while working on the underground wastewater treatment system of a rubber latex factory in Songkhla’s Sadao district Monday, police said.

 

Police said a worker climbed down into the manhole leading to the system to fix a water pipe but collapsed. Another worker went down to try to rescue him but also collapsed because of the gas.

 

Two others followed suit only to collapse while a fifth was able to pull out one of his four comrades and a team of rescuers brought out the remaining three. All four died before reaching the district hospital.

 

Police said the tragic accident happened at the Thathawin Co Ltd in Moo 5 village in Tambon Phang La.

 

The four victims were identified as Suwit Jomechu, 31, Sathichon Limchaeng, 31, Somkid Tamkliang, 43 and Sanit Sungchoom, 40. Sanit had been subcontracted to fix the water pipe in the system.

 

Nirun Srisuwan, 46, the survivor, said he almost collapsed as he descended into 1.5-metre-wide and 2-metre-deep manhole to try to rescue the four workers who had gone down before him. He said he managed to rescue only Manit, who had already passed out.

 

Officials found that the manhole was lethally filled with accumulated hydrogen sulfide from the wastewater.

 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374651

 

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is BA to a private contractor in Thailand ? maybe a face mask you don't get a second chance with Hydrogen Sulfide  sits low and no thought to test before going down in an enclosed area SAD !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All they needed was a simple gas detector...inexpensive but life saving.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

All they needed was a simple gas detector...inexpensive but life saving.

One of these would have done the job, when it stops singing it's time to get out.

Sheer ignorance kills every time.

 

Canary in a cage.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Safety first!  I saw the sign~RIP, but par for the course

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No accountability because no Health and Safety Executive or court system to regulate, investigate or punish the organizations and companies that expose their workers to hazards.

 

Affects the bottom line too much to spend money on safety including equipment.

 

Just glad that my railway industry follows international standards.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three confirmed dead from foul gas in Songkhla

By Santiparp Ramasut
The Nation

 

800_6148b328db6bbb9.jpg

 

The authorities confirmed that the number of workers who allegedly succumbed on Monday to hydrogen-sulfide poisoning at a rubber-latex factory in Songkhla’s Sadao district stands at three. The officials revealed the results of a test that showed the level of hydrogen sulfide inside the underground waste-water treatment system was more than 200 particles per metre (ppm), enough to knock someone unconscious and prove fatal from prolonged exposure.

 

Contrary to a previous report that all three workers and their boss had died on their way to hospital, police said the sub-contractor Sanit Sungchoom, 40, was resuscitated in time, though he was still not out of danger and is under critical care. The other three workers, Suwit Jomechu, 31, Sathichon Limchaeng, 31, and Somkid Tamkliang, 43, succumbed to the fumes and their relatives will soon collect their bodies for religious rites. 

 

Police said initially one of the workers climbed down the 1.5-metre-wide and 2m-deep manhole leading to the underground wastewater treatment system in order to fix a water pipe, but collapsed. Then another worker went down to rescue him but also collapsed from the gas. The two others followed suit, and also collapsed from the gas, though a fifth worker managed to stay upright and was able to pull out one of his four comrades, while a team of rescuers pulled out the other three. 

 

Police said the tragic accident happened at Tat Win Co Ltd in Tambon Phang La, adding that the case is still being investigated. Locals have complained about foul smell emanating from the factory on five previous occasions and the business was reportedly in the process of improving its wastewater treatment facility when the incident took place. 

 

Songkhla governor Weeranan Pengchan said he has instructed the Songkhla Labour Protection and Welfare Office, the provincial Social Development and Human Security Office as well as the Social Security Office to provide aid to the families of three deceased workers and the wounded sub-contractor.

 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374702

 

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-13
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

All they needed was a simple gas detector...inexpensive but life saving.

Unfortunately its either any cost is a cost to be saved or else it could very simply be they are not aware of the dangers or precautions that should be taken and/or the safety equipment that is available to them. Life is cheap in Thailand, the employer will get away with a 1 million baht donation and everybody will go away waiting for the next accident to happen. RIP to those 4 who lost their lives.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"200 particles per metre (ppm)", wow poor proof reading. 

It is of course 200 parts per million, which is lethal.

Some wells in the Middle East produce gas with 25% or 250,000 ppm H2S.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read about similar situations now and then in the news.  Improper safety pre cautions due to ignorance or work pressures.  Improper tank watch procedures to coin a ship yard term. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he may have died from the fumes - quick go down after him.

I think the rescuer may have died from the fumes - quick send down two more.

 

Good job they ran out of workers or they'd have been at it all night until someone brighter turned up.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I think he may have died from the fumes - quick go down after him.

I think the rescuer may have died from the fumes - quick send down two more.

 

 

Thai airforce helicopters

 

and fog. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...