Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 August 2019 19:40
webfact

Four die after breathing toxic gases from waste treatment system in Songkhla

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Mostly people don't see gases of that there is no oxygen and don't know what has happened just because someone is unaware doesn't mean they are not bright the way you assume yourself to be!

 

They died from Hydrogen Sulfide, it stinks like rotten eggs and can be smelled from far away.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

 

They died from Hydrogen Sulfide, it stinks like rotten eggs and can be smelled from far away.

 

 

 

No one ever needed to tell me to RUN whenever I smelled it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

All they needed was a simple gas detector...inexpensive but life saving.

Or a pipe and a blower. But they probably didn't know.

 

Even a compressor and a couple of modified scuba masks would have helped?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanadaSam said:

 

They died from Hydrogen Sulfide, it stinks like rotten eggs and can be smelled from far away.

 

 

Lethal amounts cannot be smelled? You die and you don't even know why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They never get any safety training? Worked in a chlorine factory during my student years, the first thing they taught us was to never provide assistance to anyone without wearing a gas mask.

The first guy to die had an excuse, the three next ones died as idiots. R.I.P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

They never get any safety training? Worked in a chlorine factory during my student years, the first thing they taught us was to never provide assistance to anyone without wearing a gas mask.

The first guy to die had an excuse, the three next ones died as idiots. R.I.P

Lets be fair. Given lax training and education they may not have been idiots, rather uneducated and hence unaware of the dangers and precautions necessary. The real idiots are the hiso Thais or hiso wannabes that think sufficient training of labourers is not justified due to the fact they consider them as members of the lower classes. And there are a few of those on TVF unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first guy followed the command of his boss and went down.

Boss is not educated (? probably not)) as the workers also are not, so you will die with H2S.

If concentration is high enough you dont smell it at all, you just drop and die in 3 minutes.

If you smell it, rotten eggs, you know you can come into bigger problems, leave immediately !

 

There were many investigators, who had to leave the area immediately after finally a guy came with a H2S-measuring device. it was beeping like hell.

It is a miracle not anymore people died.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its crazy i just see the pic, entering the area with a helmet on, you cant bump your head anywhere, but ok it is one of the safety issues. But shoes, just sneakers !! 🤣🤣🤣

No eye-protection, no overall.

But if they need to wear helmet for safety on bikes they dont do.

 

one article claims 4 dead, the other 3. There were 3 dead and one is in coma in hospital

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Lets be fair. Given lax training and education they may not have been idiots, rather uneducated and hence unaware of the dangers and precautions necessary. The real idiots are the hiso Thais or hiso wannabes that think sufficient training of labourers is not justified due to the fact they consider them as members of the lower classes. And there are a few of those on TVF unfortunately.

The boss went in also. He in hospital now. Up to the boss to train the worker right? 

The boss not a hi-so. If the hi-so he not going to work in a hole. 

 

Funny how about some farang think anyone who is not the sex worker, and have education or success business is a “hi so”. They just normal people work hard. Not lazy. Not loso. 

They just soso.

 

They don’t understand real hi-so, never will meet hi-so, because hiso don’t talk with loso Farang or woman like that.

Farang like that get jealousy and imagine everybody not loso is “hi-so”. 

Blame all the loso problem on the hiso. Loso is lazy. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

 

They died from Hydrogen Sulfide, it stinks like rotten eggs and can be smelled from far away.

 

 

Do a bit of research about the levels that can kill. Nasty stuff.

Unless anyone actually did a gas test then Hydrogen Sulphide is just a convenient guess. 

Very sad that these guys died in a hole not much bigger than 7 foot by 4 foot.

I recall reading a few years ago about a similar event in Thailand where the company had Confined Space Entry protocols in place along with BA sets etc. But nobody used them and paid the ultimate price.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 7:10 PM, xtrnuno41 said:

Its crazy i just see the pic, entering the area with a helmet on, you cant bump your head anywhere, but ok it is one of the safety issues. But shoes, just sneakers !! 🤣🤣🤣

No eye-protection, no overall.

But if they need to wear helmet for safety on bikes they dont do.

 

one article claims 4 dead, the other 3. There were 3 dead and one is in coma in hospital

OK in weekend nr 4 died in hospital. So sad, may they all rest in peace.

I know its difficult if you see someone is going down and you want to save him, but then you go down as well if you dont have proper equipment. and underestimate working sewers.

Its a typical mistake. In factory here , working with H2S, they tell you, if you see someone going down, then DONT go help him, never ! You walk away fast ,go to operations and they will rescue him with proper equipment.

Some years ago, in my country also family died with this. They were farmers and busy with a shit tank, in which they collect shit from cows. One went in, going down and the other 2 afterwards who tried to save, also went down. 3 people in same family dead, same mistake, same situation.

Be aware of close spaces, specially sewers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. Safety is low priority and ignorance of hazards rampant. Gov't don't care or don't enforce whatever worker protection laws there may be in place. Bring on the replacement workers and get them down that hole!

All they needed was a simple gas detector...inexpensive but life saving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...