BANGKOK 19 August 2019 09:02
NokNokJoke

South Dakota 'residency', and Drivers license, in less than one day

What would you say was the ethnicity or racial makeup of the larger crowd that had filled the Sioux Falls (population 181,883) DMV up by mid-day?

What would you say was the ethnicity or racial makeup of the larger crowd that had filled the Sioux Falls (population 181,883) DMV up by mid-day?
Mostly white. a few possibly native American. A handful of African from somewhere. Some African American. Maybe 20 percent Hispanic. I did see some Ethiopian restaurants, one Filipino grocery.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 minutes ago, NokNokJoke said:

It is a 'real id'.

The one I exchanged from a different state was not, and marked ' not for federal identification.'

Amazing!

I thought the rules were federally regulated.

I've looked at those for an old state of mine and it would be almost IMPOSSIBLE for a long term expat to qualify. 

11 minutes ago, NokNokJoke said:

It is a 'real id'.

The one I exchanged from a different state was not, and marked ' not for federal identification.'

I am very surprised that is a proper Real ID.  Florida required me to bring two bills or statements less than 30 days old with my address on it.  And proof of ID and proof of citizenship.  I guess SD is a bit easier

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gk10002000 said:

I am very surprised that is a proper Real ID.  Florida required me to bring two bills or statements less than 30 days old with my address on it.  And proof of ID and proof of citizenship.  I guess SD is a bit easier

Apparently but if the REAL ID program is really meant to impose strict FEDERAL standards on all states and all people getting that, something sounds really fishy. Sorry. I don't like all those rules either, don't get me wrong. Things can be very difficult for expats. 

South Dakota has some provisions for travelers, full time rv'ers, etc. I was primarily interested in keeping us drivers license active, including my cdl, in case I want to come back, and.... shudder...... work.

Of course. I understand. But in most other states much much harder. Shhh!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

36 minutes ago, NokNokJoke said:

South Dakota has some provisions for travelers, full time rv'ers, etc. I was primarily interested in keeping us drivers license active, including my cdl, in case I want to come back, and.... shudder...... work.

Are there any South Dakota state income tax requirements? In other words, if you establish residency there, do you also have to pay state income tax?

*edit, just read you stated SD has no state income tax. Will verify this and if so, this sounds great for a US presence. Thanks for this.

Edited by keemapoot
read further
  • Like 1

Did you receive an actual card DL or a temporary paper until the card is mailed?  Just asking because I'll move in with my sister in Rapid City in January to establish residency, get DL, and then fly out to Thailand in Feb.