Pattaya jam packed for the holidays, reports Thai media

webfact

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't recognize the beach photo shot under the trees, don't look like Jomtien beach to me!, maybe wrong.

Was in Pattaya last week and visited Jomtien beach, traffic was horrendous, the picture of the traffic I think is the norm. Pattaya  is absolutely a nightmare to drive in. Witnessed a taxi motor bike rider hit and crushed under a pick up near terminal 21, his intestines were ripped open and splatted all over the road. Not a good start for my holiday.

That was my final trip to Pattaya, sorry to say but Pattaya has become a dive, the beach was littered with rubbish, the water was a dirty brown color, there were countless boats in the bay, it almost looked like a Marina. The beach was deserted, only a handful of swimmers. They still have a zillion cables hanging everywhere, walking street had little appeal, Chinese tour groups walking from one end to the other following there tour guide with their little flag, not stopping to spend anything. Many businesses were closed and what was open was nearly empty of patrons. The smell is not the best neither. I did notice the place was full of single male "farangs", I don't understand what they see in this place, maybe the cheap sex, I have no idea, as they say, "horses for courses", not my cup of tea.

I personally would not recommend this place to any of my friends in Oz.

I am sure many will disagree, its just my spin on the place.

Very misleading photos by the authorities!  Might even be an old photo.  As noted it was raining earlier and here in Pattaya whenever traffic gets heavy the so call trained police have a habit of coning off side roads from Sukhumvit like Pattaya Klang, Pattaya Tai and sending them down to one major road like Theppasit stacking up vehicles at one major signal while the police sits in his box holding to the button.

Just now, thailand49 said:

Very misleading photos by the authorities!  Might even be an old photo.  As noted it was raining earlier and here in Pattaya whenever traffic gets heavy the so call trained police have a habit of coning off side roads from Sukhumvit like Pattaya Klang, Pattaya Tai and sending them down to one major road like Theppasit stacking up vehicles at one major signal while the police sits in his box holding to the button.

Pattaya Tai intersection with Shukumvit have road works, 3-4 lanes are merged into one, just past Esso pump. ????

6 hours ago, CGW said:

Same demographics for a holiday weekend as they have been for the past 30+ years then ???? 

I am staying not so far from Jomtien Beach, and it's not crowded,far from it. A lot of cars on Sukhumvith road doesn't mean anything.

That road coming off sukhumvit is literally always a traffick jam. A picture of a Thai couple on Pattaya beach also doesn’t convince me of anything. The majority of people on the beach are vendors. why does this smell like propaganda? and what’s the purpose? Thinking is believing is reality? Yes, traffick sucks there, but this is not somehow a sign of this low season not being terrible

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

This is thais in their oversized chariots. 

Off to sit on the beaches eating somtam and swilling sangsom down. 

No impact on the tourism sad plight.

For a country where tomorrow doesn't exist,  they are all hanging out with hopes of the farangs returning in November...

7 minutes ago, FarangDoingHisThing69 said:

That road coming off sukhumvit is literally always a traffick jam. A picture of a Thai couple on Pattaya beach also doesn’t convince me of anything. The majority of people on the beach are vendors. why does this smell like propaganda? and what’s the purpose? Thinking is believing is reality? Yes, traffick sucks there, but this is not somehow a sign of this low season not being terrible

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

And road works all over south Pattaya. The TAT-boss is always lying about numbers. Some parts in Thailand reported 30% less tourists,but he keeps lying. Everybody sees it,but him. Strange man. 

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I thought Tonto was an Indian, silly me.

Aha! He must have been suicidal that particular day.

I didn't know he was Indian. I'm just too young to have ever seen the Lone Ranger, but I remember hearing references to Tonto.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

8 hours ago, keith101 said:

By looking at the photos I would say about 90% + Thai tourists and very few foreigners .

Great point....Plus, since they are all jam packed in traffic snarl Thais cannot drive fast enough to maintain the high motor vehicle mortality rates, good thing they will all arrive ALIVE. 

5 hours ago, elgenon said:

Terminal 21 has a plane, is bigger and doesn't have a book store. Very different.

The owners are brilliant. Busiest malls. Should build one in CM.

It's the stupidest concept for a mall I've ever been in. It sort of gets a pass in BKK being so international but putting this theme in the sticks like Pattaya is just a bad joke. Like a suburb of Washington DC or Florida.

Excuse me...is there a B2B here? Yes, mister is on *Oceania* floor.

What FLOOR might that be miss?

Floor 3 sir...

2 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Myanmar has 26 public holidays, from memory. One every 2 weeks averaged out. Three days for some full moon of significance. It's great!!

Is that 26 weeks? They will soon be catching up with Thailand.:cheesy:

Thais descend here at JOMTIEN BEACH Saturdays and Sundays, .... bring their own food even cooking on the back of a pick up. They won't be buying expensive beach food  and they sit on the pavement, eating, drinking, getting pissed until the early hour then drive home to Bangkok. 

Are these the "Quality Tourists" they keep talking about?

Monday there was a huge group in blue shirts (Tribute to 'Mother' maybe) picking up garbage on the beach.  By the time the first 20 or 30 passed by with garbage bags , the remaining "pickers" (about 40 - 50 of them all proudly wearing their garbage picker shirts) had nothing to do. Mind you the government cleaners in orange shirts had just passed by 20 minutes prior. 

So I suggested they go across the street next to 7/Eleven where there was a vacant lot full of litter which they could pick up

It was clear that they pretended they didn't understand me . Focus on the beach and ignore the rest of the litter across the street !!!!

Riiiiggghhhhtttt ! Selective blindness. Who was that British sea captain with the blind eye in the telescope ? Maybe he was actually Thai.

6 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Is that top pic' recent ? only I don't see many Indians .. and only a couple of weeks ago they were gonna be riding to the rescue and save Patt's .. 

I see in the third pic a minibus pushing in and another about to drive along the pavement .  Is this the right way to behave I ask you .

9 hours ago, keith101 said:

By looking at the photos I would say about 90% + Thai tourists and very few foreigners .

What is your point?

Seems like a ridiculous comment as how many foreigners travel to a foreign country for a 3 day weekend?

27 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

It's the stupidest concept for a mall I've ever been in. It sort of gets a pass in BKK being so international but putting this theme in the sticks like Pattaya is just a bad joke. Like a suburb of Washington DC or Florida.

Excuse me...is there a B2B here? Yes, mister is on *Oceania* floor.

What FLOOR might that be miss?

Floor 3 sir...

Is that Floor 3 US English, or Floor 3 UK English?

2 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Don't recognize the beach photo shot under the trees, don't look like Jomtien beach to me!, maybe wrong.

Was in Pattaya last week and visited Jomtien beach, traffic was horrendous, the picture of the traffic I think is the norm. Pattaya  is absolutely a nightmare to drive in. Witnessed a taxi motor bike rider hit and crushed under a pick up near terminal 21, his intestines were ripped open and splatted all over the road. Not a good start for my holiday.

That was my final trip to Pattaya, sorry to say but Pattaya has become a dive, the beach was littered with rubbish, the water was a dirty brown color, there were countless boats in the bay, it almost looked like a Marina. The beach was deserted, only a handful of swimmers. They still have a zillion cables hanging everywhere, walking street had little appeal, Chinese tour groups walking from one end to the other following there tour guide with their little flag, not stopping to spend anything. Many businesses were closed and what was open was nearly empty of patrons. The smell is not the best neither. I did notice the place was full of single male "farangs", I don't understand what they see in this place, maybe the cheap sex, I have no idea, as they say, "horses for courses", not my cup of tea.

I personally would not recommend this place to any of my friends in Oz.

I am sure many will disagree, its just my spin on the place.

I live here, don't drink, don't go to bars, don't engage in self-destructive behavior and obey the law. My circle of like-minded friends live here for economic, social and peaceful reasons. The visitor sees a snapshot of the dirt, congestion and the darkside of the city. They often miss the "other side" which consists of volunteer opportunities, travel and living life on life's terms. Do tell your friends of your limited experiences as a tourist as it may reduce the congestion by one or two.

41 minutes ago, kentrot said:

Thais descend here at JOMTIEN BEACH Saturdays and Sundays, .... bring their own food even cooking on the back of a pick up. They won't be buying expensive beach food  and they sit on the pavement, eating, drinking, getting pissed until the early hour then drive home to Bangkok. 

Are these the "Quality Tourists" they keep talking about?

Monday there was a huge group in blue shirts (Tribute to 'Mother' maybe) picking up garbage on the beach.  By the time the first 20 or 30 passed by with garbage bags , the remaining "pickers" (about 40 - 50 of them all proudly wearing their garbage picker shirts) had nothing to do. Mind you the government cleaners in orange shirts had just passed by 20 minutes prior. 

So I suggested they go across the street next to 7/Eleven where there was a vacant lot full of litter which they could pick up

It was clear that they pretended they didn't understand me . Focus on the beach and ignore the rest of the litter across the street !!!!

Riiiiggghhhhtttt ! Selective blindness. Who was that British sea captain with the blind eye in the telescope ? Maybe he was actually Thai.

Your thoughts were of interest, however, the use of bold was distracting. In addition, I avoid giving any direction of behavior modification to Thais. It's their country and their trash. If I feel so strongly about something such as trash laying about, I usually take positive action for myself.

13 minutes ago, Benmart said:

I live here, don't drink, don't go to bars, don't engage in self-destructive behavior and obey the law. My circle of like-minded friends live here for economic, social and peaceful reasons. The visitor sees a snapshot of the dirt, congestion and the darkside of the city. They often miss the "other side" which consists of volunteer opportunities, travel and living life on life's terms. Do tell your friends of your limited experiences as a tourist as it may reduce the congestion by one or two.

You are correct, there is always the other side of the coin, I just don't see the Jomtien beach thing as a draw card for tourists, all the advertising photos you see promoting Pattaya makes it look like a tropical paradise.

Archived