BANGKOK
webfact

Demolishing the historic British Embassy to make way for a shopping center

I cannot help but think that the demolition is highly symbolic of the decline of the UK.

Such a great heritage, such a bunch of unworthy fools p-ssing it all away, piece by piece.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And once they got their 420 Million quid, it seems that they absolutely didn't care. Tragic really, but shows exactly the priorities and values of the Foreign Office. Wouldn't be so bad if they were using some of the money to improve services, rather then cut them.

It is stupid to get rid of the embassies such as this in favour of a floor in an office building or whatever replaces it.  It often looks good to people at home in that they are being more efficient, but it does not have the same cache getting invited by the Ambassador to talk trade at a local restaurant.  Events held at and being invited to the Embassy for an event (or Ambassador's home) serve an important purpose when negotiating trade etc or acting as an intermediary to get your home countries corporations in the door locally.... especially in countries like Asia where people are very conscious of social hierarchy.  Unfortunately it is often hard to quantify the cost of losing that... but I suspect  it will in the end be more than what they gained in the short term.  Canada (my home country) is extremely bad at being aware of how things like that are perceived.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The Chinese and Indian tourists?

They have more money to spend. If you go low level places, of course 1 coke and 3-4 people. However, I never saw that at all.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TTL2 said:

Ya....you must be a stand up comedian.
The land of the foreign entity of another government in another country mean a mini country in the heart of another country.
They need not to file anything much because it became a privilege land. 

Previlage on the looted money in the colony. What resources uk have? Cant even pay the EU obligation money as part of entrance to the union. Brexit bs non stop on all the media. Its not free this time

4 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

We should have negotiated in Baht at the time and done a money transfer back to sterling  when the building finally came down. 

Maybe it was sold in baht, this is Thailand, after all.

8 minutes ago, Thaifriends said:

Previlage on the looted money in the colony. What resources uk have? Cant even pay the EU obligation money as part of entrance to the union. Brexit bs non stop on all the media. Its not free this time

What in the name of all that is holy does the demolition of the old British Ambassadors residence (now the property of a Thai company, having been sold to them) have to do with Brexit, and any moneys which you seem to feel that the UK should pay to the EU?

You seem obsessed with the matter.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Aforek said:

Always sad to see historic buildings demolished

they are often beautiful and have a history ( our history ! ) 

They are making a statement .  british/our history,  aint worth a thai baht , in LOS .

Edited by elliss

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Was that comment I made addressed to you?  No. It wasn't.  Don't get your knickers in a twist.

Right now I'm commando, so no danger of that!

You did quote me so I assumed the comment was addressed to me.

Anyway, to avoid jacking the thread I won't argue the point, if you want to 

claim victory in this exchange, then knock yer pipe out 😘

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Right now I'm commando, so no danger of that!

You did quote me so I assumed the comment was addressed to me.

Anyway, to avoid jacking the thread I won't argue the point, if you want to 

claim victory in this exchange, then knock yer pipe out 😘

That specific quote that I referred to was not the quote that you made.  This is not about "victory" it's about accuracy, big difference.