BANGKOK
webfact

Demolishing the historic British Embassy to make way for a shopping center

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the partner who purchased it with Central Group, Hong Kong Land. Hong Kong Land being under Jardine Mathieson which in turn owns the Mandarin Oriental. Surely would have been a perfect opportunity to turn it into a luxury hotel.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, sanemax said:

In what way was the money "stolen"?

I will admit that a gun was not put to our heads, but all tax is considered theft.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, claynlr said:

The slamming of Trump is takin a break from my British cousins due to another fall of the British Empire. Just joking guys, I know this kinda stuff really knots your knickers 

Well Trump hasn't sold the American embassy yet

28 minutes ago, Fred white said:

Well Trump hasn't sold the American embassy yet

The American Embassy is not exactly any thing to write home about....Its ok but certainly not historic.... 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bartender100 said:

To many sentimentalists, its just an old building that was used by a privileged few from a long ago imperial age.

Would cost millions to turn into a hotel, but now could end up employing thousands of Thai's in the modern city that Bangkok now is

You sound like a concrete over flowers kind of guy....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Events held at and being invited to the Embassy for an event (or Ambassador's home) serve an important purpose when negotiating trade etc or acting as an intermediary to get your home countries corporations in the door locally.... especially in countries like Asia where people are very conscious of social hierarchy. 

East of Suez . . . there is nothing.

2 hours ago, Surasak said:

I will admit that a gun was not put to our heads, but all tax is considered theft.

Only by a certain kind of person 

On 8/13/2019 at 11:42 AM, GarryP said:

Another shopping center? Really? As if there aren't enough already. The market is not saturated, its bloody flooded with them.

The number of malls now in Bangkok is not only unbelievable and downright strange is almost like a disease that is consuming the city......And they just keep building more and more and more...  

15 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

Money grubbing Philistines.No sense of history just greed.

History is bunk, said someone.

24 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

The American Embassy is not exactly any thing to write home about....Its ok but certainly not historic.... 

It closely resembles a prison! as do most American embassies............🤔

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

At best I'd describe the American Embassy as utilitarian and efficient.

Not much effort was put into designing a building of beauty.

The British Embassy was one of the structures that made a jaunt down Wireless Road enjoyable.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 11:56 AM, darksidedog said:

Wouldn't be so bad if they were using some of the money to improve services, rather then cut them.

They could buy access to HMRC data bases and issue Embassy letters again after viewing the applicants P60s.  Thai Immigration are still accepting these letters from those countries not following the spineless British; American; Australian safe approach.

3 hours ago, fforest1 said:

The number of malls now in Bangkok is not only unbelievable and downright strange is almost like a disease that is consuming the city......And they just keep building more and more and more...  

For a city that is sinking it appears short sighted given this quote from the Asian Correspondant ;  "The latest estimates suggest that Bangkok is now sinking as fast as 2cm per year in parts of the city. In fact, The Global Post reported that by 2100, Bangkok would be fully submerged and unliveable"

That is a mere 81 years to go or possibly less with the predicted increases in sea level rises.