BANGKOK
webfact

Demolishing the historic British Embassy to make way for a shopping center

Posted (edited)

Indonesia still has its nice colonial-style embassy in parkland near Pantip. Seems they have more class than the British.

Edited by JamesBlond

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mackayae said:

However, they did let them keep the Victory Monument.

Yes... but that was celebrating another event, from a pre-ww2japaneseEra and the British couldn't care less for anyone else's victory over the French...

Edited by tifino

1 hour ago, mackayae said:

On the plus side of having all these malls, for example you can walk from the Phloenchit BTS to the Chitlom BTS through Central Embassy and Central Childom without leaving the aircon. The new mall will be connected to this ever increasing artificial world. Another Joni Mitchell prediction.

You can actually walk all the way from Ploenchit BTS to MBK through different malls and skywalk, however you will have to pay 15 baht to transit through Chitlom BTS station.

Echos how the great fall. UK is a "has-been" country. Should change the name to "little Britain"!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, the guest said:

Echos how the great fall. UK is a "has-been" country. Should change the name to "little Britain"!

The only one in the village??

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

The only one in the village??

😆

2086212605_images(1).jpeg.2406ab922c5e492977249d8c39ba00e4.jpeg

tenor (1).gif

Edited by overherebc

Whenever anything like this happens, I think of this lady and her song "Big Yellow Taxi":-

image.jpeg.04392a9d0b9eff775a70bbe99ade11d3.jpeg

"They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot"

But in light of the attitude of the Thai Government and in particular, Thai Immigration's stance re  extensions of stay,  "Proof of Income" letters, and now the TM30 fiasco, the destruction of the British Embassy to me has a much more symbolic significance, and to be honest, gives me a real sense of foreboding  - I wonder what is coming next?

I walked along Orchard Road in Singapore today and was stunned at the size of the plot of land and the location of the Thai Embassy...if that land in Bangkok was worth 420M then the Thai Embassy plot in Singapore must be at least double that 820M.

Why does Thailand not downsize or sell that? Seems bizarre to me (either was you look at it).

For the service they provide they only need one of these.........complete with Mickey mouse too !

images-3.jpeg.5e3816e9d1b29365a8c6bd6f4c5fbd05.jpeg
That is very disrespectful,i am sure a much better service was given by the guy who manned the bike.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

Speaks volumes of the culture really. Could have been a park and museum.

Because every Bangkokian needs yet another place to buy coffee and take a dump. International luxury goods money launderers. Perfect.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I have very little pride in what the UK has become. I have a fascination with our history, rather than a pride in what it achieved. but I despair at what the UK has become under successive governments.   It has very poor infrastructure, that is getting worse by the year,  a dysfunctional political class that is supported by an equally dysfunctional Civil Service, a heath service that treats to the lowest common denominator and is unsustainable financially, a castrated military,  and a largely miserable population. I like having a British Passport for the freedom to travel that it gives me, otherwise, I truly have no feelings of pride or kinship in the UK, just a continuing frustration that things can only get worse.     

So other than that, everything is OK?🙂