BANGKOK
webfact

Demolishing the historic British Embassy to make way for a shopping center

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Another shopping center? Really? As if there aren't enough already. The market is not saturated, its bloody flooded with them.

Central Embassy Plaza already exists.  And is not at all busy.

33 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

Thailand has ZERO respect for historical buildings unless they are temples or royal abodes. As much as they spout off about culture it amazes me they don't have an agency that helps preserve buildings of historical relevance. 

It's why wherever you go in Thailand, every city looks the same, except Bangkok. 

"...amazes me they don't have an agency that helps preserve buildings of historical relevance". 

They do.  What's the historic relevance of the Embassy building apart from it being an Embassy building?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Presumably they'll let you know when you make your appointment.

I have one for next week hence my question. Email has old address so I assume they still have at least one room operational.

26 minutes ago, Fred white said:

Where does the govt get it's money

In the case of the Embassy, which is what is being discussed here, it came from the sale of the original site that had been given, free, to the UK by the King and that paid for the current building's construction.  No cost to the UK taxpayer.

43 minutes ago, phetpeter said:

Like we should be regretting giving other prime location, such as Hong Kong, Malta, Oman, just to name a few.

The UK leased Hong Kong from China for 150 years and that lease expired in 1998

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No, they are not ( I was referring to the new owners)

£420,000,000 to buy a plot of land and run a small hotel on it?  You really don't know why they didn't do that?  The company has shareholders to answer to.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 2

I assume they have thought about asbestos before ploughing in and breaking everything up... oh wait, I forget where this was for a moment, never-mind 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, JRG23 said:

Typical greed. What do you expect?

Who's being "typically greedy" in this context?

If only the Brits has waied and left offerings daily to Great Queen Victoria then the Embassy could have been saved. Instead they followed farang ways and so the spirit power that could have  protected the area was given over to bad spirits and now this 😥 At the Tower of London at least the ravens are well looked after. 

https://www.hrp.org.uk/tower-of-london/whats-on/the-ravens/#gs.w08xjd

13 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Hong Kong wasn't "ours" to keep!

so we could stuff our Indian opium down Chinese throats and make money during the great empire days. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

420 million pounds

and the pound keeps falling

2 hours ago, CGW said:

Pure greed, in years to come this decision will be regretted! 😞 

In actual fact they'll be building replicas of it. So stupid pure greed.

9 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

£420,000,000 to buy a plot of land and run a small hotel on it?  You really don't know why they didn't do that?  The company has shareholders to answer to.

I just said that it would have been nicer had they preserved the building , maybe the Thai Government should have bought it or maybe the UK should have given the land back for free , on the condition that the building remains and the green area is turned into a public park 

• Confused 2

Confused. Just looking for confirmation, we are talking about a pile of bricks right?

• Like 2

Cannot believe that such a beautiful place is now going to be yet another shopping mall has Bangkok not got enough of them already 😬😬😬😬