BANGKOK
webfact

Demolishing the historic British Embassy to make way for a shopping center

53 minutes ago, friend of siam said:

maybe the receice a free office 10 sqm in the new shopping centre...the sign say 3 rd floor behind the ladys toilets

I'm told you can do most things at 7-11 these days.

As a Yank, I’ve always appreciated the way my British cousins built memorable buildings with beautiful grounds throughout Asia. Singapore, Shanghai, Hong Kong and yes Bangkok. What a crying shame to destroy that beautiful setting for another cookie cutter concrete mess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

Another shopping center? Really? As if there aren't enough already. The market is not saturated, its bloody flooded with them.

Agreed... should have turned it into a green park area for locals & tourists to escape the inner city...

but hey no profit to be made out of that !

• Like 1

Another shopping center? Really? As if there aren't enough already. The market is not saturated, its bloody flooded with them.

Possibly the Thai credit card market still available    and the population total  debt   is not at maximum yet... So let have another mall.

The british embassey will rent a small office in a large complex where you cannot get more than 5 people in so appointments are gonna take a lot longer than before,the british embassey in kuala lumpur is same but they're not as busy as bangkok but in my experience very quick,helpful & not surly like their bangkok counterparts,as i said in a previous post i had to renew my passport,bangkok would have nothing to do with it,i made an appointment with kl,it was friday & got a reply straight away,my appointment was sorted for 8am monday,they let me use their computer but if your not clued up they will help you,my new passport arrived 8 days later,fastest on record where bangkok would take a minimum 6 weeks

Reporter asks developer " Did you do any market research on whether this new shopping was viable"? Developer "market research, please explain.!!

• Haha 2

The fake and temporary are cherished more here

Hopefully they tear down the prison like monument to totalitarian regimes, the US Embassy while there at it. I am no fan of malls but in this case just about anything would be an improvement.

This is a very sad day.

I am not sure they should have been allowed to sell it for a one time "balance the budget".

IT WAS GIVEN TO THEM to use forever as an Embassy.

I bet the Royal Thai Crown Dept is not happy about it  & they should not be,

Stupid Brits,,,, anything for a buck

• Confused 1

Money and greed is ruining this world. From sport, global warming, corporations and history.

The bing bong of 7-11 on this site looms