Ridge vent for corrugated metal roof

ThiAmo

Good day everybody!

Sorry  yet another stay-cool-house - thread.

Has anybody installed a ridge vent on the corrugated metal roof as a retrofit here in Thailand?

A system kind of like in the photo below.

Companies or roofers contacted until now: "no have", "mai ruu", "mai khoi tam".

Ideas how to vent the attic/loft of our house (photos below), in retrofitting, other than with whirlybirds?

4-meter large eaves and a lot of green as well as fast growing trees are already doing a good job, but not enough for hot afternoon temperatures. 

Ceiling getting hot from above and radiating downward. As for the moment, the attic is very poorely ventilated. I'll let the ceiling insulate with SCG Chang. 

Thanks in advance for any constructive thoughts or sharing of experiences!

Alfred, layman in tech solutions

IMG20190812082827.thumb.jpg.1e158fdd82d79674494b4303e3caa83d.jpg

1897398652_ridgevent2.jpg.51f126a48791fbf114b7d3c7d6498628.jpgIMG20190813095728.thumb.jpg.9f6a5f0a597ef4c483c9f9f76be1edb0.jpg

There's an old thread (about 2 years maybe) when Cheryl heat proofed her house. There's some real good info there.

If I remember (from that thread) you can get a pack of ventalation tiles from Monier Australia.

See if you can search that thread in DYI section.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, carlyai said:

There's an old thread (about 2 years maybe) when Cheryl heat proofed her house. There's some real good info there.

If I remember (from that thread) you can get a pack of ventalation tiles from Monier Australia.

Didn't found neither the mentioned thread nor the posts of this specific member under "member search" "Cheryl".

Thank you anyway.

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The problem you will have with passive venting is a huge amount of black dust that will enter from sugarcane burning. 

SWMBO will be less than happy. ???? That is exactly why we didn't do that.

Thank you.

No sugarcane burning here and thick natural "dust catcher" around house.

40 minutes ago, ThiAmo said:

Thank you.

No sugarcane burning here and thick natural "dust catcher" around house.

As long as there is no sugarcane burning within 10~15km you should be OK. But vegetation doesn't catch sugar cane dust to prevent it getting into the house DAMHIKT ????

Didn't found neither the mentioned thread nor the posts of this specific member under "member search" "Cheryl".
Thank you anyway.

Cheryl used to be the moderator on the health forum, maybe you could pose a question there?

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Insulate your ceiling and put ridge and eave vents will make a difference. 

Thank you!

My "logistical" problem, as I tried to describe it in the original post, is to find people/builders with experiences as regards a retrofitting of ridge (and as you mention maybe -eave) vents, not on tiled roofs, but on existing corrugated iron roofs (Moderator: not sure whether allowed to use the underline mode).

Something similar like this shown in this video http://www.abcmetalroofing.com/How-to-Install-a-Ridge-Cap/

Anybody has done this or let done on his/her house? 

5 hours ago, carlyai said:

Cheryl used to be the moderator on the health forum, maybe you could pose a question there?

Thank you, with this I've found your suggested thread now: 

9 hours ago, ThiAmo said:

Thank you!

My "logistical" problem, as I tried to describe it in the original post, is to find people/builders with experiences as regards a retrofitting of ridge (and as you mention maybe -eave) vents, not on tiled roofs, but on existing corrugated iron roofs (Moderator: not sure whether allowed to use the underline mode).

Something similar like this shown in this video http://www.abcmetalroofing.com/How-to-Install-a-Ridge-Cap/

Anybody has done this or let done on his/her house? 

There's too many systems, you can go with a roof cover vent system that is compatible with your existing roof cover to install vents suitable to your roof cover material.

You can do ridge vent, hip vent & eaves vent but insulate your ceiling, simple easy can do more but not much of a noticeable improvement. 

On 8/14/2019 at 7:22 PM, Kwasaki said:

There's too many systems, you can go with a roof cover vent system that is compatible with your existing roof cover to install vents suitable to your roof cover material.

You can do ridge vent, hip vent & eaves vent but insulate your ceiling, simple easy can do more but not much of a noticeable improvement. 

your second 

On 8/13/2019 at 12:16 PM, ThiAmo said:

1897398652_ridgevent2.jpg.51f126a48791fbf114b7d3c7d6498628.jpg

On 8/13/2019 at 12:16 PM, ThiAmo said:

Good day everybody!

Sorry  yet another stay-cool-house - thread.

Has anybody installed a ridge vent on the corrugated metal roof as a retrofit here in Thailand?

A system kind of like in the photo below.

Companies or roofers contacted until now: "no have", "mai ruu", "mai khoi tam".

Ideas how to vent the attic/loft of our house (photos below), in retrofitting, other than with whirlybirds?

4-meter large eaves and a lot of green as well as fast growing trees are already doing a good job, but not enough for hot afternoon temperatures. 

Ceiling getting hot from above and radiating downward. As for the moment, the attic is very poorely ventilated. I'll let the ceiling insulate with SCG Chang. 

Thanks in advance for any constructive thoughts or sharing of experiences!

Alfred, layman in tech solutions

you are asking for something out of the ordinary range from your sellers. 

My experience is that is too much hasssle for your local sellers to give you solution that they are not familiar/comfortable with

plus they probably cant be bothered.

the ridge capping is easy to have made and also to install, your issue is supporting an elevated ridgegecap,

i have a 50mm foil backed insulation under my roof sheets, but that was installed before the sheets

your second image gives you the solution!

What is wrong with whirly birds?

Shaemus

on a side note, i have seen a few roofs here with sprinklers/ misters set up

Shaemus

On 8/19/2019 at 10:31 PM, shaemus said:

you are asking for something out of the ordinary range from your sellers. 

My experience is that is too much hasssle for your local sellers to give you solution that they are not familiar/comfortable with

plus they probably cant be bothered.

Thank you. Have taken notice of your suggestions.

Certainly every craftsperson's decision not to venture him/herself in an undertaking that they don't understand enough (e.g. physics of ventilation) or which successful outcome would be uncertain (e.g. a leaking roof) has fully to be respected. Better an honest answer than an adventurous botch job out of sheer profit-seeking. 

On 8/19/2019 at 10:31 PM, shaemus said:

What is wrong with whirly birds?

Nothing wrong with that if properly installed. 

I have got a tlied roof with semi-circular ridge tiles. Would these do the job anyone please? I have soffit vents to let the cooler air in, but nowhere for the hot to get out.

https://www.onestockhome.com/en/items/37064318/scg-concrete-earth-tone-air-vent-ridge_roof_scg-concrete-tiles_scg

Or this

https://www.onestockhome.com/en/items/74057313/scg-concrete-earth-tone-vent-curve-ridge_roof_scg-concrete-tiles_scg

On 8/13/2019 at 12:38 PM, carlyai said:

https://www.onestockhome.com/en/items/74057313/scg-concrete-earth-tone-vent-curve-ridge_roof_scg-concrete-tiles_scg

Having  just installed  this  type  of roof myself and having asked Blusecope  steel who are 100% USELESS not  only in Thailand but Australia the answer for the venting I got was "no hab" even though shown on the Australian website and show  to Bluescope here in Thailand.

The  top ridge  maybe has not been folded  under so air should already be venting out of that as  most Thais either dont know or dont want to fold  down along the ridge.

Your ceilings also have NO insulation, big  mistake.  do you have any air  holes  under the eaves area as this would let air  escape  out that top ridge if  they havent folded that area  down already?

Step one anyway, insulate  over ceilings with fibreglass in rolls.

ceilings (2).jpg

On 8/13/2019 at 1:16 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

The problem you will have with passive venting is a huge amount of black dust that will enter from sugarcane burning. 

SWMBO will be less than happy. ???? That is exactly why we didn't do that.

Will the black dust not be drawn in via the soffit vents? In which case, put some sort of filter on or in them = no dust in the attic.

20 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No filter that permits sufficient airflow will stop the black dust

20 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No filter that permits sufficient airflow will stop the black dust

I am thinking in terms of some fine nylon netting, it will stop the bigger pices from being sucked in, no?

And of course, some of the dust which goes in will come out of the roof vents. Not all I do say.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

I am thinking in terms of some fine nylon netting, it will stop the bigger pices from being sucked in, no?

And of course, some of the dust which goes in will come out of the roof vents. Not all I do say.

The black dust is from sugarcane burning and the larger pieces will just break down then go through any but the finest filters.

You probably need something like a 10 or 5 micron filter and that isn't going to pass enough clean air unless you have a very large filter area or force the air through.

Archived