BANGKOK
sampson

Want to extend visa by 30 days but hotel says they don't file TM30's?

I am staying in a bungalow type complex long term here, I knew they hadn't filed my TM30 as they didn't take my passport.  When I asked about this, they simply said they don't tell immigration about people staying here and sorry about that basically.  It's quite a large complex and on all the booking sites so a bit surprising.

So if I go to immigration to try and extend what is going to happen?  I get fined? Won't get the stamp?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sampson said:

So if I go to immigration to try and extend what is going to happen?  I get fined? Won't get the stamp?  

All depends on which office you’re applying at and their local rules.

It could be neither or either. They might not issue the extension until a TM.30 is completed, and as you’ve been staying “long term” they might fine you.

Posted (edited)

The worst thing that can happen for you is that Immigration can fine you 800/1600/2000 baht depending on which office you will go to. Nothing more, and they might want you to file a TM30 before they extend your permission to stay.

Edited by Matzzon

8 hours ago, Papafarang said:

Just put the address on the extension form that immigration give you and let immigration sort it out the householder is responsible for the TM30 

and they might get a very big fine

In the case of Sampson, who started this topic, it is the manager of the hotel who is responsible to notify his arrival to immigration.

• Like 1

Fly out and back in again, having an overnight stay in a different country. Might cost more in the long run, but could save you hours of hassle at immigration.

• Haha 2

I had the same situation recently with a guest house in Pattaya.  When I applied for a visa extension the computer told them my TM30 had not been lodged.   They phoned the guest house and had the owner come to Jomtien immigration while I waited.  The owner came and was fined 2,000 baht.   I got my extension but the guest house owner asked me to leave the hotel without refunding me the pre paid rent money or my security bond of 1,000 baht.  I could have gone back to immigration to complain but thought it best to just leave it be.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Good luck to you if immigration investigates and fines the owner. Might be better to move. Why should you get caught up with a lawbreaker and any revenge he might take against you?

• Like 2

If you want to avoid problems to the bungalow owner just checkin at a 500 thb hotel that you are sure will fill the form (how to be sure?). And even if you are not sure, you won't stay there more than 1 day, so don't care.

Maybe you pay the fine but at least you keep your long term bungalow and avoid problems for the owner.

• Like 2