Enter, then leave with different passport

Hi - first post - but looking for help.

Am married UK person living in China, with Chinese wife, and daughter who has dual nationality (Chinese / British).

Dual Citizenship is not recognised in China - however, it is not illegal to hold 2 passports (well, frowned upon).

We are looking to visit the UK (my wife has been before and still holds valid visit visa), however, my daughter has not been before, but has UK passport.

Main issue: to exit China and travel direct to UK, the Chinese authorities would require either a UK visa in her Chinese passport, or if we were to use her UK passport (which we will not) an exit visa in her China passport. This would then flag up she has 2 passports, and her Chinese citizenship would have to be renounced - something that we cannot do as it would affect her schooling and Hukou.

My wife could leave China showing a flight itinerary to Thailand, and they know that she would get a visa on arrival, and with flights booked a few days later to the UK this would not be a problem.

Question -

1. if my daughter left China on her Chinese passport, but then on arrival produced to Immigration her UK passport - would this be an issue:

2. We would exit Thailand to the UK on her UK passport.

3. On the return journey, on arrival in Thailand (having departed UK on UK passport) she would land using her Chinese passport for visa on arrival

4. Departing Thailand to China - again would depart using her Chinese passport

Would this be queried by Thai authorities?

Look forward to learning more

Thanks

Mr Chinglish

Would the eagle-eyed Chinese Immigration spot the date mismatch? The date leaving China would not match the date entering Thailand on her Chinese passport. Even more likely since she was travelling with you (UK passport) and her mother (with all the evidential dates and stamps for a trip to the UK).

Other than that, sounds feasible.

9 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Would the eagle-eyed Chinese Immigration spot the date mismatch? The date leaving China would not match the date entering Thailand on her Chinese passport. Even more likely since she was travelling with you (UK passport) and her mother (with all the evidential dates and stamps for a trip to the UK).

Other than that, sounds feasible.

Briggsy - thanks for very valid point. Yes, there is a risk, but IMO extremely low - towards zero.

IME China immigration are looking to see if you can enter China legally - i.e. National or have correct valid visa.

They deal with you one at a time, and I would accompany my daughter back through immigration - the only thing they can check would be date you 'legally' left China.

On leaving China they do not mark where you are going to, unless it's to HK on a two way permit - hence why we would not fly through HK!!

Mr Chinglish

I'm sorry, but please don't distort the facts.

Holding two passports simultaneously, according to Chinese Law is very much illegal in every practical sense,

so do not downplay it.

The consequences of the authorities finding out that your wife and daughter hold two nationalities simultaneously will be devastating.

As you mentioned, schooling and hukou benefits will be renounced.

And don't forget that the Chinese government offers incentives/rewards to their citizens who rat out other Chinese citizens holding two passports.

Nonetheless, your travel plan sounds good. 

Good luck.

13 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Wouldn't it be easier / simpler to get a UK visa for the child on her Chinese passport? 

Might not be that simple (when has getting a UK visa ever been) but in addition folks inside China would likely gain access to the dual nationality issue.  Probably best to do any show and tell with more than one nationality outside China.

FYI:  although UK allows entry with foreign passport some countries require you enter with their passport if you are a citizen (USA for one).  

Question -

1. if my daughter left China on her Chinese passport, but then on arrival produced to Immigration her UK passport - would this be an issue: That would be OK, but she might need to show check-in staff a return ticket from China to Thailand, as well as a visa. Maybe avoid telling the check-in staff about the second passport to avoid the snitching you mention.

2. We would exit Thailand to the UK on her UK passport. That would be fine.

3. On the return journey, on arrival in Thailand (having departed UK on UK passport) she would land using her Chinese passport for visa on arrival Yes, or an e-visa

4. Departing Thailand to China - again would depart using her Chinese passport Yes she would need to, as that's what she entered on

4 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I have been doing this for years and never had a problem anywhere in the world with UK/US passports.

Yes, but do you have a Chinese passport, and attempting to leave China, which is what the OP is asking for advice about?

23 hours ago, Chinglish said:

1. if my daughter left China on her Chinese passport, but then on arrival produced to Immigration her UK passport - would this be an issue:

arriving in Thailand and producing UK passport it's ok but going back to entering China with chinese passport NOT having a Thai arrival stamp could and would be a BIG problem, better arrive Thailand with China passport, get a stamp and arrival departure card, don't fill out departure card with china's passport #, when leaving Thailand use UK passport and use the departure card with UK passport # but Thai IMO will look at UK passport without arrival visa and the problems start.... it will not work, China's IMO will ask how long stayed in Thailand, why no arrival stamp.... try to figure it out but you are looking at troubled times

I have done this often with my children.

Do it this way:

1- Out of China on China passport,

2- In to Thailand on China passport,

3- Out of Thailand on China passport,

4- In to UK on UK passport,

5- Out of UK on UK passport,

6- In to Thailand on China passport,

7- Out of Thailand and back home on China passport.

You should have no problems anywhere, but remember, only in China do they care about dual nationality, so please coach your family that they went on a holiday to Thailand, and from there, crossed land border to Vietnam on a "Guided Group Tour" (for the duration of your actual trip to UK) and got no stamps from Vietnam because of said "Guided Group Tour" hence the lack of in/out stamps from Vietnam and two arrival / departure entries into Thailand.

They will buy it, they have better use of their time than to try to be armchair detectives.

Bon Voyage!

Archived