O Visa Marriage Extension Renewal

peterpop

Today I was reminded how Chiang Mai Immigration and visa renewal are the low spots in my year.  Yet again, and I have been here 12 years, they astound me with their unnecessary paperwork and their unpublished changes. I knew the immigration officer and she greeted me and then checked all the details of my marriage certificate that had not changed of course in 12 years.

I renewed early but within the 45 day early limit so that I could travel to Australia to help out with a family problem.

Immigration want copies of my Air Ticket and a letter explaining my reason to leave the country.

I presented them with 12 months of bank statements signed  and stamped by Kasikorn Bank, with foreign revenue highlighted.  Immigration said they wanted copies of all the entries in my Bank Book, a letter from Kasikorn Bank stating that the last 3 months of overseas revenue were genuine entries, and stating the amount.  They gave me a sample letter that Kasikorn in both Hang Dong and Central Airport Plaza had never seen before.

Unlike last year they again want ALL the pages of my passport copied.

I am now awaiting the letter from the very helpful girls at Kasikorn Bank which will take 3 days to prepare. However the same girls had no idea how to recognise a foreign deposit and even the call centre at Bangkok talking to me in good English was initially unable to do so.  I had to help them with the deposit references.

All together there are 76 pages of A4 to be presented [inc duplicates]

Next year the letter from the bank must state the TOTAL AMOUNT OF FOREIGN REVENUE for 12 months

I will return on Friday expecting another change.  You could not make this up.

To the OP:  I renewed in a similar timely way as you as I'm going abroad very shortly too.  Did she give any credible explanation for asking for travel details?  I can't even begin to see what relevance it could have for an extension application as long as you're going to be returning before the "consideration period" expires. 

They do seem to come up with new requirements on a yearly basis now.
I applied for my marriage extension at CM about 3 weeks ago and they wanted copies of my wife's divorce certificate from her previous marriage! We had our marriage certificate, a new Kor Ror 2 and her change of name certificate but somehow that still wasn't enough.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I have my marriage extension visit on Thursday.

I think I have everything together and my agent is coming over tomorrow afternoon to check, but I am scared witless that there will be problems.

We are going away on Friday so if they need anything else I will not be able to provide anything until the middle of the following week.

I suppose it's fortunate that I am doing it a week in advance....but still dreading it

I went to IO yesterday TM 30,boarder run,and to get the 60day extension to my Non Imm O M so I can apply for Marriage extension.Officer at the counter "You don't need the 60days you have 90days all ready" .Old mate my visa runs out tomorrow.I understand that the 90days is permission to stay and that the visa is a separate issue.Explaining the visa expiry "You've 90days to apply for your Marriage Visa,plenty of time" So the question is,has he put in a position where I have to get another Non Imm O M before applying for the Marriage Visa extension or can I just apply.For mine I don't understand how you extend something that no longer exists?He gave me a check list which does not mention current Non Imm O but this not as I understand it.Clarification please.Regards Kim.

46 minutes ago, kimincm said:

I went to IO yesterday TM 30,boarder run,and to get the 60day extension to my Non Imm O M so I can apply for Marriage extension.Officer at the counter "You don't need the 60days you have 90days all ready" .Old mate my visa runs out tomorrow.I understand that the 90days is permission to stay and that the visa is a separate issue.Explaining the visa expiry "You've 90days to apply for your Marriage Visa,plenty of time" So the question is,has he put in a position where I have to get another Non Imm O M before applying for the Marriage Visa extension or can I just apply.For mine I don't understand how you extend something that no longer exists?He gave me a check list which does not mention current Non Imm O but this not as I understand it.Clarification please.Regards Kim.

What you have written is not clear so what you discussed with the IO may not have been also.

You say your visa runs out tomorrow.

When does your permission to stay run out?  

What is the "Admitted until" date stamped in your pp?

6 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

What you have written is not clear so what you discussed with the IO may not have been also.

You say your visa runs out tomorrow.

When does your permission to stay run out?  

What is the "Admitted until" date stamped in your pp?

Visa expires 14/8/2019

Permission to stay 9/11/2019

"Immigration said they wanted copies of all the entries in my Bank Book, a letter from Kasikorn Bank stating that the last 3 months of overseas revenue were genuine entries, and stating the amount."

For a marriage extension?

Do you have 400K in the bank, or are you using the monthly method?

We have plenty of cash in a savings account in my wife's name for the better interest rate, and moved some to my account this year in preparation for my extension in November, as the pound is so low at the moment.

Am I going to have to transfer 400K from the UK to a separate account and leave it untouched to satisfy Immigration every year, so that we can manage our money from our Thai assets?

14 minutes ago, kimincm said:

Visa expires 14/8/2019

Permission to stay 9/11/2019

So the IO was correct, you have about 90 days to do your paperwork, until 9/11.

You went asking to extend your visa, they do not do that.  They do however when applicable extend your permission to stay.

You wasted your time and their time on something you could have learned easily by reading a bit.  If that is not possible, get an agent.

17 hours ago, peterpop said:

Immigration said they wanted copies of all the entries in my Bank Book, a letter from Kasikorn Bank stating that the last 3 months of overseas revenue were genuine entries, and stating the amount.  They gave me a sample letter that Kasikorn in both Hang Dong and Central Airport Plaza had never seen before.

Just leave the money in the bank if you can. This appears to be the only way that they know how to do things. 

On 8/13/2019 at 5:01 PM, Greenside said:

To the OP:  I renewed in a similar timely way as you as I'm going abroad very shortly too.  Did she give any credible explanation for asking for travel details?  I can't even begin to see what relevance it could have for an extension application as long as you're going to be returning before the "consideration period" expires. 

No reason given.

Some good news is that I received the required ''Credit Advice'' from Kasikorn BKK within 24 hours by email. I will now go back to my local branch Big C, Hang Dong Rd, to get the letter that says that the Credit Advice is correct and my current balance is ....Baht.  No specific amount is required apparently.  This is just another random hoop to jump through.

All this together with my much diminished, frozen pension makes the future very uncertain.  I am thinking I can only manage another 2 years before I bail out.  At present it is still marginally cheaper to live here in the house I bought 3 years ago.  The cost of renting or buying a property back in UK makes the difference.  I don't want to leave but ..............

On 8/13/2019 at 8:37 PM, ThaiPauly said:

I have my marriage extension visit on Thursday.

I think I have everything together and my agent is coming over tomorrow afternoon to check, but I am scared witless that there will be problems.

We are going away on Friday so if they need anything else I will not be able to provide anything until the middle of the following week.

I suppose it's fortunate that I am doing it a week in advance....but still dreading it

Well it was quite painless. Arrived at 7am with my agent and wife. Saw the IO at 8am, she said something to my wife about the bank letter not being correct, as the OP pointed out it needs to show foreign income, but she did not sweat it or make me go and get another one, she did show me a sample from my bank so the bank can do it.

She asked for a copy of my decree nisi, which nobody has ever mentioned. I did not have it with me.

I asked my visa agent why she had not told me about it, but she just smiled and intimated that I should have known ...duh..... anyway I was given back my passport which tells me to report back on September 13th.

My visa agent came back to my house and took the copies of my divorce certificate back to immigration

I believe that she offers good value for 3,000 baht, even though she did make a mistake, but I have never read on TV anything about needing to show divorce papers for a foreigner, I must have missed it, but for anybody who is getting a marriage visa at least one IO wants to see evidence of a divorce if you had one

I completed the application today.  It should have been finished yesterday, everything was done, checked and agreed by the Immigration Officer.  BUT she said we are too busy now come back tomorrow.  I am lucky I live 10 mins from the Immigration office, I duly appeared at 0750 this morning.  At 11 am my number was called.  It was a different lady.  Oh she said your bank book is one day out of date.  Go and get another photo copy of today's update

Wonderfull, for what, the monthly bank transfers were all shown.  These ROBOTS need a serious reboot.

On 8/16/2019 at 4:38 PM, peterpop said:

I completed the application today.  It should have been finished yesterday, everything was done, checked and agreed by the Immigration Officer.  BUT she said we are too busy now come back tomorrow.  I am lucky I live 10 mins from the Immigration office, I duly appeared at 0750 this morning.  At 11 am my number was called.  It was a different lady.  Oh she said your bank book is one day out of date.  Go and get another photo copy of today's update

Wonderfull, for what, the monthly bank transfers were all shown.  These ROBOTS need a serious reboot.

One day out of date and she complained? I used to do that without any problem.

Did my annual marriage extension on last week. Arrived about 07:30. No queues, no crowds of people outside, just walk in to the counter and the number is handed out. We saw the IO around 10am and were out by 10:30. I had all the docs in two piles. There were no new requirements from the previous years. I have had 400k set aside in its own account for 5 years or so and i wasn't asked for monthly proof of what i spend or what comes in. IO did say you can't touch the money whilst extension is under consideration.

It seems CM Immigration is run like a "normal" immigration office now which is quite extraordinary if you have any experience of it over the past few years. Hats off to Big Joke for sorting out what was the worst immigration office in Thailand.  

Ubonjoe, 1. Can you confirm the need for a copy of your prior divorce document. This is the first I've heard this. My marriage cert and Kor two indicates wife took my name and my change of address and TM 30 by wife indicates our new address. What divorce document are they looking for?

2. How long before appointment can we order a BKK credit advice and Bkk letter. Live in Nong-Han, a long way from CM Immigration. Thx in advance.

All together there are 76 pages of A4 to be presented [inc duplicates]

You forgot to mention that all copies have to be signed.....

When I did my extension before I had received my teacher's license and was on a provisional license, the officer did something that almost made me laugh. But only almost.........

She went online, on Khurusapha's ( Teacher's Council of Thailand's) website, where you can check anybody's allowance to teach and how long by typing in the full name in block letters, or the passport number.

I am living here for 17 years and thought that this was a bit over the top. 

I'd understand that if they don't know you, but.........TIT.

Nothing is impossible. And all is possible. 

Reading your story makes me wonder how many people are willing to undergo such an immense waste of time, money and paper. 

On 8/16/2019 at 4:38 PM, peterpop said:

In all honesty, these IO act like some Sado Maso Exorcist-guys.

You've been there before, did they not know that?

Ten years ago, our Immi office wasn't right in the city, it was at the Cambodian border far far away.........

We had  a new teacher and I agreed to drive him to the office. Pothole roads for about 70 km and really in the middle of nowhere. One way was 150 km's. 

When we arrived on the first day one document was missing. I was very politely asking if we couldn't contact the school and fax it to her.

No way, come back tomorrow were her words.

We were back the next day and had the document with us.

She already had her visa stamp when she stopped and mumbled something about another document was missing.

I politely said that we're driving quite a long way twice already and she hadn't mentioned that the day before. Again the question if we could fax it to her.

No way, you have to come back tomorrow. I was on 180 and had a huge problem to stay calm. i wanted to tell her what a *^&%^$5lutg she was!

It was a document that other IO do not want to see. 

After three times driving over 900 km's in my truck, we finally had the visa for my colleague.

Good for her was that I didn't buy the Kalaschnikow a drunk Thai soldier wanted to sell me for 150 bucks on the way to the office. 

The school reimbursed me for 500 km and I refused to do it again. 

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:38 PM, peterpop said:

I will return on Friday expecting another change.  You could not make this up.

Having done my share of extensions, each with increasing stupidities to accommodate, I know it to be true.

I think they sit around thinking up ways to make it more difficult to do so we will all use agents.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:36 PM, ThaiPauly said:

Well it was quite painless. Arrived at 7am with my agent and wife. Saw the IO at 8am, she said something to my wife about the bank letter not being correct, as the OP pointed out it needs to show foreign income, but she did not sweat it or make me go and get another one, she did show me a sample from my bank so the bank can do it.

She asked for a copy of my decree nisi, which nobody has ever mentioned. I did not have it with me.

I asked my visa agent why she had not told me about it, but she just smiled and intimated that I should have known ...duh..... anyway I was given back my passport which tells me to report back on September 13th.

My visa agent came back to my house and took the copies of my divorce certificate back to immigration

I believe that she offers good value for 3,000 baht, even though she did make a mistake, but I have never read on TV anything about needing to show divorce papers for a foreigner, I must have missed it, but for anybody who is getting a marriage visa at least one IO wants to see evidence of a divorce if you had one

It's just another thing to annoy us as there is ZERO NEED for most of the things they want. Eg, why does bank book need to be updated on the day? It used to be OK for the day before, which is sensible. Sensible no longer figures for immigration offices. Inconvenient is the new word of the day.

Archived