BANGKOK
webfact

Transport minister says drivers, not vans, are key threat to passenger safety

I think 70% is the irresponsible way to drive, 30% maintenance often does not exist!

Wow... a minister finally speaking some truth.  Having recently been through the hoops again for my car and bike license renewal i can honestly say (as us expats already know) the driving test / examination system needs to be dismantled and rebuilt.  I first sat there at the brake reflex / test gizmo and them the colored lights changing and having to identify what color they were before proceeding to the one hour video.  I tried to maintain concentration as best i could during the video (it was all car and not bike) and mentally noted there was no mention of wearing seatbelts, no mention of not using handphones +++.  There were only 5 expats present with the remainder being Thai.  At the end of it all i thought to myself how pathetic it was that people who have a 5 year license and only want to renew have to endure this... total waste of time / resources.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

His about-turn on the ministry's policy was because the operators would have to import microbuses from other countries at high prices, he said, adding that this could backfire on Thai commuters as the operators would have to increase fares to compensate for the higher vehicle cost.

This is absolute BS, with the strength of the baht there will never be a better time to purchase from abroad so what is he talking about..? One of the main problems with the minibuses is the speed they are capable of travelling at which in turn results in most of the minibus drivers driving like lunatics on steroids, therefore a larger slower coach which should be governed down so the maximum top speed is within the maximum allowed for a vehicle of this type by law, and you would see a dramatic reduction in accidents involving buses of this type. 

• Like 1

Yes, bad driving is a big factor but there's no denying that, in an accident, you're more likely to die if you're in a flimsy van designed for cargo with few exits rather than a microbus designed to carry passengers.  Believing you'll be able to change driver behavior is really Pollyanna thinking so why not at least put passengers in sturdier, safer vehicles designed for that purpose.  I don't want to be in either but, given a choice, I'd rather be in a microbus with a bad driver rather than a van with a bad driver.  I'm seeing a traffic jam of vans packed with brown envelopes.  

5 minutes ago, newnative said:

Yes, bad driving is a big factor but there's no denying that, in an accident, you're more likely to die if you're in a flimsy van designed for cargo with few exits rather than a microbus designed to carry passengers.  Believing you'll be able to change driver behavior is really Pollyanna thinking so why not at least put passengers in sturdier, safer vehicles designed for that purpose.  I don't want to be in either but, given a choice, I'd rather be in a microbus with a bad driver rather than a van with a bad driver.  I'm seeing a traffic jam of vans packed with brown envelopes.  

I'll take my chances with a good driver, thank you.

• Like 1

were one to urinate on the minister from his desk how long would it take for the message to sink in?

23 minutes ago, newnative said:

yes I have seen us drivers before and you are not much better than the average thai

Mind boggling that he had to state the obvious. It's the drivers to blame, not the vans. A three-year-old would know that.

Also mind boggling that the government makes a rule, those it affects say they don't like it because it would cost them money etc, and the government says 'okay then'. Age of vans. using mini buses instead of vans, don't ride in the bed of pickups, whatever. You simply cannot discipline a Thai. They will always, always do exactly what they want to do, often regardless of the consequences (driving, motorcyclist helmets etc etc etc)

Thailand.jpg

18 hours ago, overherebc said:

They, governers, could be an answer but they would have to be spanner proof.

Spanner proof or 500 Baht proof

I fear that many on this topic are right, he's talking sense, logic and truth, he hasn't got a prayer of a long stay in office.

• Like 1