Transport minister says drivers, not vans, are key threat to passenger safety

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone has actually woken up and smelt the coffee at last. Will anything be done about bad drivers? Will a new driving test with meaning ever be introduced? I very much doubt it. To drive on Thailand's roads is a very stressful experience for many of us, who have had a life time of driving in countries where the driving test is strict and laws are applied with vigor.

3 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

Wow... a minister finally speaking some truth.  Having recently been through the hoops again for my car and bike license renewal i can honestly say (as us expats already know) the driving test / examination system needs to be dismantled and rebuilt.  I first sat there at the brake reflex / test gizmo and them the colored lights changing and having to identify what color they were before proceeding to the one hour video.  I tried to maintain concentration as best i could during the video (it was all car and not bike) and mentally noted there was no mention of wearing seatbelts, no mention of not using handphones +++.  There were only 5 expats present with the remainder being Thai.  At the end of it all i thought to myself how pathetic it was that people who have a 5 year license and only want to renew have to endure this... total waste of time / resources.

When I got my 2 year temporary license all I did was watch a 30 minute video got my picture taken and walked out with a license

55 minutes ago, newnative said:

I don't drive in Thailand--and certainly not a transport van--so this American is not contributing to the accident rate.  

I do drive here at first I was worried about driving on the wrong side of the road vers american roads that actually wasn't bad with the steering wheel on the right but the Thai drivers here are scary passing in curves or no passing zones motorcycles riding the wrong way and this includes family members. My wife's son wrecked ourr new truck driving to fast

3 minutes ago, Fred white said:

I do drive here at first I was worried about driving on the wrong side of the road vers american roads that actually wasn't bad with the steering wheel on the right but the Thai drivers here are scary passing in curves or no passing zones motorcycles riding the wrong way and this includes family members. My wife's son wrecked ourr new truck driving to fast

I don't let the "locals" drive my rides....Not worth the worry...

20 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

No way

It is

a) faulty breaks

b) faulty steering

c) too much rain

d) someone else's fault

e) not charged amulet with good luck

faulty breaks..... you mean like faulty lunch breaks lol.

Faulty staring

just kidding, I'm the grammar police

On 8/13/2019 at 2:38 PM, webfact said:

and so warnings could not be immediately issued to speeding vans but only IF the vans reached their destinations, at best.

Would that possibly entail DLT phoning the driver, while he is driving.

''Hey driver, Hairy Cornflake here. Slow the <deleted> down''

22 hours ago, Snuller21 said:

First time that I hear that. But so true. Give the drivers a driving test, and see how few will qualify. Maybe one in 20. And then no more Brake Failures.

most brake failures are caused by mobile phones they must boil the oil

The safety of passengers riding in public vans must be tackled at its root problem, the bad driving behaviours of drivers, said Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob on Tuesday.

Think better and more effect will have  is 

To increase the traffic safety is to tackle at its root problem, the bad driving behaviours of thai drivers and lack of respect to the rules and regulations because they are not enforced.

So the life of the Flying Coffins gets extended....

And they want to public to tell them if unauthorised vehicles are in use....

Basically checking the compliance information before getting in.

Errr.

And add to that information about the driver and if he is stoned, or just hyper on M150 power drinks.

Sounds like a good idea for a start up company to build and assemble the Micro buses in the LOS.

And get about 20,000 death traps and drivers, off the road. 

The OP is mostly absolute tosh and only serves to illustrate how poorly informed the authorities are on road safety.

somewhere they refer to drivers being the "root" of the problem....this is rubbish; they are a SYMPTOM of the situation.

Unless Thailand embraces the SAFE SYSTEM they will achieve nothing and continue to be a source of ridicule for the international health and safety community.

3 hours ago, Surasak said:

Someone has actually woken up and smelt the coffee at last. Will anything be done about bad drivers? Will a new driving test with meaning ever be introduced? I very much doubt it. To drive on Thailand's roads is a very stressful experience for many of us, who have had a life time of driving in countries where the driving test is strict and laws are applied with vigor.

one only has to look at the driving tests USA use to take to realise that this is only a small part of the problem

7 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Has nobody heard of tachometers here?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Of course - it is essential that Tachos are used - as part of a holistic scheme - however this has to be accompanied by a fully employed and trained body of professionals to enforce it as well as a calibration authority and a retraining of police and drivers as well as retro-fitting to 180,000 vehicles  - and that's just the mninvans, there are 1,000,000 goods vehicles and the other buses on top of that.

All BS lip-service. All for show. Nothing will be done...nothing will change.

Would be nice if they would put one-millionth the effort into safe Thai driving as they do into silly TM30 and other freakin' ridiculous immigration horseshit! :bah:

On 8/13/2019 at 2:38 PM, webfact said:

Transport minister says drivers, not vans, are key threat to passenger safety

How many years did it take to find out this?

And how many years to do something about it?

Archived