Thailand tightens the screws on TM30 reporting, petition ongoing

webfact

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On August 13, 2019 at 3:32 PM, taninthai said:

I’m so fed up reading about tm30 on this forum ......I just did mine this morning in and out in 8 minuits ,immigration were happy,smiling,friendly and helpful seriously what is all the fuss about ....moaners will be moaners where ever they are in the world.

Glad it worked for you in eight minutes........but give a thought to the folks who live a 150 kilo or more to the closest immigration office......a long round trip drive for basically nothing they don't already have in their computers. The world doesn't revolve around you, though you probably think it does. But enjoy your eight minutes of fame. Now go and report again...555

23 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

does the UK embassy exist atall ??

The who?

On 8/13/2019 at 5:35 PM, DogNo1 said:

It's the landlord's responsibility to file the TM 30 unless he/she doesn't do it.  Then it becomes the tenant's responsibility to file it and apparently if it's not filed correctly, the tenant's extension of stay can be denied.  A hiatus of four days during which a foreigner did not report his stay in Bangkok before he returned to his permanent residence is said to have resulted in the denial of his extension of stay.  Exactly what threat to national security does this four-day omission pose?  I am baffled by what purpose knowing the location of every foreigner at all times serves.  Does anyone know?  

I'm in Bangkok just now and it is mostly Chinese (have to be careful when I step on the kerb) Africans, Indians, etc, etc. Not many Westerners at all.

On 8/13/2019 at 3:39 PM, madmen said:

The cowards that won't sign and living in fear grow a pair and just do it. 

Not living in fear at all. In 30 years I have never had a single problem with Thai Immigration. Why, therefore, should I sign this pathetic petition ? It is a disaster which will make things more difficult for all of us. You really need to grow up and get out more before making such a childish comment.

8 hours ago, harry1465 said:

just turn on my computer and signed in, so easy like 1,23 form completed.

Another newbie who appears to be sponsored by immigration to sign up for the forum and tell everyone how easy it is. Even if what you write is in your case true, why doubt the experiences of others who've waited weeks or months for passwords? To draw a parallel, I personally am not too bothered about 90 day reports, as I can mail them to CW and it's always been relatively straightforward. But that doesn't make me come on here and lecture others, when they may live in provinces or have circumstances where the process is much more difficult. Same goes for @taninthai and his inane in and out in 8 minutes comment. 

I just came back from doing my annual extension at Chang Wattana.  It took me about 4 1/2 hours, half for renewing my extension and half for filing a TM30 (they wouldn't complete the extension until I showed them a TM30 receipt).

The TM30 desks were a mad-house.  There were Thai landlords there because their online reporting system didn't work and assorted foreigners (mostly Asian, not Farang) trying to pay their fines and get their forms accepted.  The people who had all all the correct paperwork were in and out fairly quickly, but those who didn't have everything they needed were kept waiting for hours and I saw at least one woman thrown out after being told to bring her landlord in to pay the fine!

Here's what I took to file my TM30:

A copy of the landlord's ID card and Tabian Baan.

The house ID number

A copy of the rental agreement.

A copy of my passport and the visa and the current(new) visa extension stamp.

800 Baht.

My wife asked the woman at the front desk about the TM30 and was told that we only had to report once after entering the country.  I would not have to report after traveling to another province.  This sounded too good to be true so asked again about traveling.  "The hotel or resort will report you and you can ask for a receipt from them". But how about when I return home?  "There's an App for that".

????

So, there you have it folks, two contradictory statements from a single Immigration Officer!

18 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

So, there you have it folks, two contradictory statements from a single Immigration Officer!

Of course. It's all both confusing and very easy in the same time.

The purpose is to get the foreigner so confused, that he eventually forks out fines. And believes it was his fault because it was so easy.

They made fortunes with the 90 day reporting fines in the past (people forgetting to report). Simply a new stream of revenue, this TM30.

41 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

I just came back from doing my annual extension at Chang Wattana.  It took me about 4 1/2 hours, half for renewing my extension and half for filing a TM30 (they wouldn't complete the extension until I showed them a TM30 receipt).

The TM30 desks were a mad-house.  There were Thai landlords there because their online reporting system didn't work and assorted foreigners (mostly Asian, not Farang) trying to pay their fines and get their forms accepted.  The people who had all all the correct paperwork were in and out fairly quickly, but those who didn't have everything they needed were kept waiting for hours and I saw at least one woman thrown out after being told to bring her landlord in to pay the fine!

Here's what I took to file my TM30:

A copy of the landlord's ID card and Tabian Baan.

The house ID number

A copy of the rental agreement.

A copy of my passport and the visa and the current(new) visa extension stamp.

800 Baht.

My wife asked the woman at the front desk about the TM30 and was told that we only had to report once after entering the country.  I would not have to report after traveling to another province.  This sounded too good to be true so asked again about traveling.  "The hotel or resort will report you and you can ask for a receipt from them". But how about when I return home?  "There's an App for that".

????

You’ve perfectly summed up the s***storm that immigration is at the moment. 

I’ve been waiting 3 weeks for my username and password. if you click on the part that says “waiting for approval”, it takes you to a page that says an immigration officer will send you it within 7 days (working hours). I guess they mean 7 working days. 

Amazing how the people who are supposed to know the rules and do the work aren’t held accountable for not knowing or doing their jobs properly. And the people who have nothing to do with this whole process  are the ones punished because of their fecklessness and ineptitude. 

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Even your own ID, except your passport.

I checked into a hotel a few days back and tried to use my pink id. No go, had to give passport, which means my tm30 is now done by the hotel and my wife should report me again when we return home to where my yellow tabian baan is. As far as I'm concerned they can shove it, perhaps the only benefit of elite is I won't have to do extensions and right now won't stay more than 90d in Thailand anyway.

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Another newbie who appears to be sponsored by immigration to sign up for the forum and tell everyone how easy it is. Even if what you write is in your case true, why doubt the experiences of others who've waited weeks or months for passwords? To draw a parallel, I personally am not too bothered about 90 day reports, as I can mail them to CW and it's always been relatively straightforward. But that doesn't make me come on here and lecture others, when they may live in provinces or have circumstances where the process is much more difficult. Same goes for @taninthai and his inane in and out in 8 minutes comment. 

Only three minutes at the drive-thru at Phuket immigration.

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

Not living in fear at all. In 30 years I have never had a single problem with Thai Immigration. Why, therefore, should I sign this pathetic petition ? It is a disaster which will make things more difficult for all of us. You really need to grow up and get out more before making such a childish comment.

Good Op Ed in the other newspaper, Google "TM30 a shot in the foot".  Sums it up quite nicely.

1 hour ago, lkv said:

3 easy steps. 1...2...3

Screenshot_20190814-145706_Samsung Internet.jpg

I must confess that I have not really been following this thread that closely for various reasons, not least because I live a mere 30 minutes drive from a very helpful immigration office. I know about the online reporting facility, I haven't signed up for it because I am told you need to use Internet Explorer and I couldn't be bothered to install it. I may sign up now. Does this picture mean, as it appears, that we can send in our TM30 by mail? If so, what is the fuss about?

4 minutes ago, michelsavage said:

"National Security"? 

1. Is there a central register of all TM 30 reports, that can be consulted at any time, to check whether Mr. Smith is still living where he say he does? (That would be about 35 million reports, at least, annually)

2. Do bad people register their movements across the country, and report on TM30?

3. Does the Thai government collect a sigificant amount of revenue/jobs from this protocol?

Does "National Security" mean that the Thai governement expects to have to expell all foreigners from the land, for some obscure political reason?

Remember: In 1933 up until 1945, the Nazis exterminated the Jews because they were a theat to "national security". Are Thais so fundamentally xenophobic that they're afraid of all that is non-Thai?

This TM30 crisis shames Thailand, its government, its peoples, its culture. It is a very dark spot on what used to be called The Land of Smiles. Now, it is the Land of Fear. 

This post should be printed out, distributed to English language classes to demonstrate what "hyperbole" means.....

9 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

This post should be printed out, distributed to English language classes to demonstrate what "hyperbole" means.....

Someone’s been watching too many YouTube videos.

For the users here who don’t like the TM30, but who also don’t want to be accused of being in an ‘echo chamber’, why don’t you explain why you’ve made so many posts about something you don’t mind doing? “Enlighten us”. 

7 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Oh, but, don't you know? We live in the "land of fear".

You answered your own question when you quoted me several pages back. Don't you remember?

Quote directly. That’s how it’s done. Otherwise no one will know what you’re talking about or who you’re talking to. Context, please.

I have no idea what this post means. 

29 minutes ago, michelsavage said:

Does "National Security" mean that the Thai governement expects to have to expell all foreigners from the land, for some obscure political reason?

That's my take on it. Keeping aliens on back to back temp permits fits right into the picture. Milk 'em until they get dry or start to be trouble, then simply kick them out.

They are not stupid, that's a great deal if you can pull it off. Tottypower has been supplying Thailand fresh meat for the grinder for years, but now that that's fading, resident aliens are starting to see behind the scenes. And then the deal gets sour.

Just spent 4 hrous in cheanwattana today to extend a tourist visa 2+1  month.  Well my dear.. I was told sir you must do reporting.  They went to fined me 800 thb. Even though my own is my own home. So even you do a visa extension sona totalnof 90 days. They ask you to do 90 days reporting.... non sense.....theybgive you a piece of paper to keep in your passport.   I repeat  even tourist  visa... need to report.... 

On 8/13/2019 at 3:32 PM, taninthai said:

I’m so fed up reading about tm30 on this forum ......I just did mine this morning in and out in 8 minuits ,immigration were happy,smiling,friendly and helpful seriously what is all the fuss about ....moaners will be moaners where ever they are in the world.

Take on your glasses, then you will see that some falang people have to travel up to 3 hours or more to the ImOf. Let them smile, but not because of TM 30.

The big and ugly joke, if you don't get the password for the App - some people have to wait 1, 2 or more months - YOU will get fined for delayed reporting, not the ImOf. for incompetence or what ever reason.

3 minutes ago, puck2 said:

Take on your glasses, then you will see that some falang people have to travel up to 3 hours or more to the ImOf. Let them smile, but not because of TM 30.

The big and ugly joke, if you don't get the password for the App - some people have to wait 1, 2 or more months - YOU will get fined for delayed reporting, not the ImOf. for incompetence or what ever reason.

Put on your glasses and read the thread properly,,,that is there choice to travel 3 hours because they don’t want to mail it in the post,go to there police station or try to register online????

7 minutes ago, taninthai said:

Put on your glasses and read the thread properly,,,that is there choice to travel 3 hours because they don’t want to mail it in the post,go to there police station or try to register online????

Their police station yes, the same one that refuses to follow the law and accept TM30 reports.

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

I checked into a hotel a few days back and tried to use my pink id. No go, had to give passport, which means my tm30 is now done by the hotel and my wife should report me again when we return home to where my yellow tabian baan is. As far as I'm concerned they can shove it, perhaps the only benefit of elite is I won't have to do extensions and right now won't stay more than 90d in Thailand anyway.

Yes, things must be changing, I have been to so many hotels here in Thailand, and the only one that has ever insisted on my passport is the Nana Hotel in Bangkok.

In fact, I am in a hotel in Bangkok right now, and I only needed to show my driving licence.

If you want to avoid bothering about any TM30's, just stay away from your local immigration office.

Been here 15 years, making exit plans for December this year.

It's not that I can't get my head round adding a tm30 reporting to the list of 90 day reporting, tm6, multiple entry visa, annual photo-op for the 1yr visa marriage/parent extension, here's my bank account details (why do they need a statement AND a bank letter AND a bank transaction on the same day?) jump-through-needless-multiple-hoops requirement -- no, it's not that at all.

What it is is this: 

Fundamental disrespect for the benefits that the presence of ppl like us brings to this country. 

It's like when I get disrespected in a shop or restaurant by a surly manager/owner. OK. I'll take my   money elsewhere. 

Found somewhere better to live, and we'll be out by year's end. 

Thanks for all the fish (esp. the marlin).

45 minutes ago, taninthai said:

I suppose the Thai post office won’t accept any letters addressed to immigration too????????

Oh well, should they get lost or something, foreigner will still get burnt.

But it's ok, some of us find pleasure in being abused, it's called the Stockholm syndrome. ????????

Archived